Old 13 December 2009, 19:00   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Ejected From SR4!!!!

Well, carrying on from KY's nightmare day a few weeks ago, today it was my turn. We launched from Oreston slip at Plymouth with the intention of going up the Yealm and having lunch at the Ship Inn.
First problem of the day, the bloody battery was dead and therefore couldn't start the engine, no problem i thought i will get the jump leads out start her from my friends RC4.8. It then dawned on me that due to my car breaking down this week they were in the boot that was in the garage some 30 miles away. No problem i will go and buy some, so off im went and came back with yet another set of jump leads. Next problem the leads were not long enough so out came the battery whilst trying to hold the battery and leads on at the same time, some relief when she eventually fired up.
So, we were away, beautiful day, sun shining sea relatively calm this is what winter ribbing is about.....WRONG!!!
Just as we were on the run in to the Yealm at about 30 knots the boat chine walked and next thing i knew, i was flying through the air straight in the water. BUGGER, as i surfaced i noticed my girlfriend about 10 m away with the boat what seemed like some 30m plus away (thank god for kill cords). Both our life jackets automatically inflated which i dont know was a good or bad thing, all i know is i could hardly make progress trying to get to her. Luckily my friend who was playing about and although he didn't see the incident eventually noticed something wasn't quite right and was on scene instantly.
We clambered aboard the RC and was eventually repatriated with the SR4. Cold and shaken we headed back into Plymouth flat out as my concern was to get out of the wet clothing as we started to chill rapidly.
Heading back to shore i started the mental reconstruction of what went wrong, it happened all so quick i still dont know what actually caused the boat to catapult us both out, especially as it was bloody calm but it happened. I was so glad that on this occassion i was out with a friend as although not potentially life threatening the water was pretty cold and wouldn't want to be in it for too long.
Anyway, i am not after sympathy or anything but reiterating the use of kill cords, lifejackets and never to be complacent with the sea or your own ability. I look back on it now and p**s myself laughing but today has taught me that anything can and will happen when you least expect it to.
Old 13 December 2009, 19:06   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
They do chine walk well!

Glad your ok mate.
Old 13 December 2009, 19:10   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
Once again glad to hear you are both ok ( this is becoming a habit ). Oh lets hear it for kill cords. Would be interested on peoples view on automatic life jackets though. Can see the benifits if knocked unconcious but other than that not to sure.
Old 13 December 2009, 19:10   #4

Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
Glad you and your girlfriend are both okay. The water must have been freezing!
As you say lifejackets and an attached kill cord are a must.
Cheers
Neil
How difficult is it to swim in an inflated lifejacket? Is there an 'approved' technique?
Old 13 December 2009, 19:12   #5

Cheers mate,
Yep im fine, to be honest i was only concerned with the gf, but she did have an immersion suit on but even so she started to feel the effects pretty quickly. I hope she will come out with me again Definitely looking at buying some dry suits now.
Have you been out on yours much?
Old 13 December 2009, 19:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
Glad you and your girlfriend are both okay. The water must have been freezing!
As you say lifejackets and an attached kill cord are a must.
Cheers
Neil
How difficult is it to swim in an inflated lifejacket? Is there an 'approved' technique?
Neil, that is what i find of greatest concern, i am very fit and strong but i really question whether i would have made it back to the boat. To get to my gf was a bloody effort.
Old 13 December 2009, 19:15   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Bummer about the battery

does your engine not have a pull start?

It's ab bot scary the 1st time you come out of a rib but at keat you know your Killchord works. Glad you are OK andwhere you wearing proper clobber, did you hae TPA's etc

where you the guy who was so fearless on an outing in the Solent

re Chine walking a small searider with a decent lump does tend to do it and my experience (SR4.7) was that it did it more in smooth water. it took me quite a few trips to get past the chine walk. I found that by gently, sorry very gently turning into the direction of the chine walk I could then keep it too one side and come about OK. when I tried to correct instantly it would wobble a lot more and it fwightened me.

I had to get past the chine walk as there was 500 revs left in the engine, that I had paid for and damn well wanted to use. stay lucky
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 19:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Cheers mate,
Yep im fine, to be honest i was only concerned with the gf, but she did have an immersion suit on but even so she started to feel the effects pretty quickly. I hope she will come out with me again Definitely looking at buying some dry suits now.
Have you been out on yours much?
would it be cheaper to get a GF with a bit more blubber?,,theres plenty up in Peterhead that don't seem to feel the cold.
Old 13 December 2009, 19:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
does your engine not have a pull start?

It's ab bot scary the 1st time you come out of a rib but at keat you know your Killchord works. Glad you are OK andwhere you wearing proper clobber, did you hae TPA's etc

where you the guy who was so fearless on an outing in the Solent

re Chine walking a small searider with a decent lump does tend to do it and my experience (SR4.7) was that it did it more in smooth water. it took me quite a few trips to get past the chine walk. I found that by gently, sorry very gently turning into the direction of the chine walk I could then keep it too one side and come about OK. when I tried to correct instantly it would wobble a lot more and it fwightened me.

I had to get past the chine walk as there was 500 revs left in the engine, that I had paid for and damn well wanted to use. stay lucky
Stu,
Wouldn't say fearless, and definitely not in Mad Matt H's league but 21 years in the Army kind of makes you thrive on a bit of excitement.

Good question about the pull start, can a Yam 50 2 stroke be started with an emergency pull cord?
Old 13 December 2009, 19:23   #10

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
It's ab bot scary the 1st time you come out of a rib but at keat you know your Killchord works.
Those chubby fingers letting you down again mate? ;-))

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 19:29   #11

Quote:
would it be cheaper to get a GF with a bit more blubber?,,theres plenty up in Peterhead that don't seem to feel the cold.
I went for a 'petite' one so as not to slow the SR4 down too much, if i go for a larger model will it mean i will have to upgrade to a bigger boat and engine.
Old 13 December 2009, 19:30   #12

Quote:
Neil, that is what i find of greatest concern, i am very fit and strong but i really question whether i would have made it back to the boat. To get to my gf was a bloody effort.

lie on your back and do a kinda inverrted breastroke. RYA sea survival course might well be worth the both of you doing it's not dear and builds confidence. LJ's weren't really designed for swimming in which is why I wear a manual. In those circumstances I'd have beenbusy directing the Buddy boat. but if I had to make a swin I'd let some air out of the jacket.

Also don't forget that you and your boat will be drifting in the same tide so it wont ge much further away from you after immersion
Old 13 December 2009, 19:32   #13

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
bloody ell gibbo, glad your both ok!!
Old 13 December 2009, 19:33   #14

Quote:
I went for a 'petite' one so as not to slow the SR4 down too much, if i go for a larger model will it mean i will have to upgrade to a bigger boat and engine.
Invariable I'm afraid, but they are a bit more difficult to chuck out of the boat. Don't worry though I'm she'll get bigger over the years
Old 13 December 2009, 19:37   #15

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Stu,

Good question about the pull start, can a Yam 50 2 stroke be started with an emergency pull cord?
Yeah, relatively easily. DHD pulled his V4 100 Suzook over a couple of years back, but he is a VERY experienced puller.

A mate and I were chucked out of an 18ft Phantom years ago, when the steering cable parted. As you say, it's 'instant'. One moment in the boat, a split second later, all goes green and muffled.
Old 13 December 2009, 19:39   #16

Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
Thanks Rogue
I did think backstroke would be the answer (I'd probably hit my head on something though!). I'll certainly aim to get on a sea survival course next year - thanks for the advice.
cheers
Neil
Old 13 December 2009, 19:42   #17

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
So glad that you and your girlfriend are OK.

Swimming in a life jacket is very difficult and will lead to exhaustion quickly, especially in cold seas. I would stick with an auto-inflate, if you are unconscious it will save your life.

If you have to swim, use the oral inflate tube, with the cap reversed to delflate the jacket such that it still provides just enough bouyancy, but reduces the drag. If you have to stop to recover, you will be breathing heavily and can use this to blow more air into jacket.

Only been in this situation for real once and it makes 20m look & feel along way away. As already said, the sea survival course is an eye opener, especially the pool session.

Steve
Old 13 December 2009, 19:42   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
So after last weekend's cock up, pretty much everyone said KY should have informed the CG... so did you?

Also did you have any way of attracting your friends (or anyone elses) attention if he ended up 2 miles away before he realised you weren't keeping up (flares or VHF on your person?).

Yes - you should be able to start your engine with an emergency pull start.
Old 13 December 2009, 19:49   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Glad your both OK, I went to assist a crew who were all thrown out in Summer 2008 when the steering broke, even in summer time they were all shocked including a very qualified helm. I took the crew to another boat and saw shock setting in and even cold despite it being summer.

You did well to manage and bring it all back. Extras I carry include the small individual flares and even a personal EPIRB but I must say I dont always carry them I have them aboard but only carry them when travelling alone and then a handheld radio on the lifejacket. So if I cannot get back I have the reserve equipment to get expert help- alas we all hope it never happens to us
Old 13 December 2009, 20:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
So after last weekend's cock up, pretty much everyone said KY should have informed the CG... so did you?

Also did you have any way of attracting your friends (or anyone elses) attention if he ended up 2 miles away before he realised you weren't keeping up (flares or VHF on your person?).

Yes - you should be able to start your engine with an emergency pull start.
Polwart,
The CG weren't informed as my friend recovered us pretty quickly and therefore i believe didn't warrant the call (and will now probably be shot down in flames by the forum)? I am aware that a Mayday should be sent in event of MOB. Thinking about it now in hindsight i should have probably notified them of the incident even just to say all was ok but as i said was more concerned getting back to shore rapidly. Although i couldn't hear clearly i think some other incident was going on off Plymouth at the time?

After today i will attach my hand held to LJ and probably buy some flares such as the ones divers carry on them.