Old 13 December 2009, 20:12   #22

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Polwart,
The CG weren't informed as my friend recovered us pretty quickly and therefore i believe didn't warrant the call (and will now probably be shot down in flames by the forum)? I am aware that a Mayday should be sent in event of MOB.
Regards the CG, if you had a drysuit on and had come out of the boat when singlehanded but got back to the boat ok should you still inform them?
Whats the difference to falling out of the RIB and been ok and falling off a jetski and been ok?

We have now been issued with these flares: http://www.painswessex.com/ProductSp...Id=117&CatId=1 you can get a pouch that goes on the webbing of your lifejacket so the flares are with you all the time.
Old 13 December 2009, 20:15   #23

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Polwart,
The CG weren't informed as my friend recovered us pretty quickly and therefore i believe didn't warrant the call (and will now probably be shot down in flames by the forum)?
I don't think I would've either given your situation. As you had the other boat there, you had the stuation under control. Getting out of the wet gear quickly was the No.1 concern.

If you'd been out there as a solo boat? That would've been scary.
Old 13 December 2009, 20:18   #24

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Glad your both OK, I went to assist a crew who were all thrown out in Summer 2008 when the steering broke, even in summer time they were all shocked including a very qualified helm. I took the crew to another boat and saw shock setting in and even cold despite it being summer.

You did well to manage and bring it all back. Extras I carry include the small individual flares and even a personal EPIRB but I must say I dont always carry them I have them aboard but only carry them when travelling alone and then a handheld radio on the lifejacket. So if I cannot get back I have the reserve equipment to get expert help- alas we all hope it never happens to us
Ian,
Cheers, Although it was bloody cold i was fine and didn't feel threatened by the situation, my main concern was gf as she started to go quiet on me heading back in, i was constantly asking her if alright as i noticed uncharacteristic behaviour forming even though she repeatedly said she was ok.
What flares do you carry?
Old 13 December 2009, 20:23   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
I have the normal safety kit, flares and thermal blankets, but choose to carry the small ones I listed above and also paid for an EPIRB which I carry in a pocket when running solo between ports, and the handheld clipped to lifejacket, I work on theory as better safe than sorry although I wear both manual and auto lifejackets depending on forecasts
Old 13 December 2009, 20:36   #26
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
chubby
woch owt. iz fattniss getts orl arrsy wen yew menshun iz biggiditty.

Quote:
and next thing i knew, i was flying through the air
guddy. i doo lyke too heer wen a flikka masheen getts a dooce.

gaRf
Old 13 December 2009, 20:42   #27

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Ian,
my main concern was gf as she started to go quiet on me
If that occured on my boat, I'd be concerned too.

Quote:
Ian,
...i noticed uncharacteristic behaviour forming...
Yes, very uncharacteristic.
Old 13 December 2009, 21:22   #28
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Polwart,
The CG weren't informed as my friend recovered us pretty quickly and therefore i believe didn't warrant the call (and will now probably be shot down in flames by the forum)?
No I asked it as a genuine question rather than a hidden criticism. Dinghy sailors end up in the water quite alot (and not all of them wear dry/wet suits) so with another boat there for support your situation is not really any different. With a back up boat there the only obvious reason for calling them would be just in case a well meaning person on shore had seen it and called it in - but you would expect them to try to contact you/other boats in the area anyway.

Quote:
I am aware that a Mayday should be sent in event of MOB.
I agree that's my automatic intention - but not everyone thinks it is. Since you would have been back on board and heading for home by the time you could make a call it no longer warrants a Mayday.
Quote:
After today i will attach my hand held to LJ and probably buy some flares such as the ones divers carry on them.
OK so if you had a H/Held VHF on you would you:

(1) have used it immediately?
(2) have called your mate or called the CG (mayday/pan pan)?
Old 13 December 2009, 21:34   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
OK so if you had a H/Held VHF on you would you:

(1) have used it immediately?
(2) have called your mate or called the CG (mayday/pan pan)?
Polwart,
In the same circumstances i wouldn't have called CG but would have tried to call mate if for some reason he was oblivious to the incident and carried on. If however i was out without an accompanying boat and was struggling to get back to my boat then i definitely would call CG.
Old 13 December 2009, 22:06   #30

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Those chubby fingers letting you down again mate? ;-))
It would appear so although I could claim that 'bot scary' was a measurement of fright.

Please tell mr gArfpig that I don't mind the people I like and respect calling me fat.The two of them know who they are .
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 22:19   #31

G5, i hope you don't mind the informal address.

You are probably aware that the head loses a lot more heat in the waer than the body. So carrying simple things like a woolen hat help the thernal recovery process. a good run with a towel help get the head and other parts warm too.

It's worth sticking a warm change of clothes in your drynag as well. TPA Thermal protective aids are quite cheap and wiill do a job in an emergency.

Hand held in the water, it's better than nothing but it's range is restricted by the height you are transmitting from and power is restricted cos it runns on batteries and knocks out 6 wats max.

so in conclusion and on the basis I can't interest you in a trawler girl from Peterhead then I'd fit footstraps to your sea rider. If you've already got em I'd start using them.

Some may say that the footstrops might damage your ankle in a big bump. That might be true but ask yourself how many people die of Hypothermia and how many die of a sprained ankle.
Old 13 December 2009, 22:28   #32

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
so in conclusion and on the basis I can't interest you in a trawler girl from Peterhead then I'd fit footstraps to your sea rider. If you've already got em I'd start using them.

Some may say that the footstrops might damage your ankle in a big bump. That might be true but ask yourself how many people die of Hypothermia and how many die of a sprained ankle.
Funny you should say that but I've been doing that tonight, the foot straps not the trawler girl.
The only time I've been "ejected" from a RIB I hurt my ankle, that was because my mate thought he could stop me by grabbing my welly!
Old 13 December 2009, 22:42   #33

Town: Fareham
First I'd like to echo everyone else by saying I'm glad that things worked out for you and that both you and your girlfriend are both fine.

What surprises me more however is that you don't experience this more often? You where as mad as a hatter during the Searider Cruise

However it does highlight what can happen in good conditions. I tend not to wear some of my personel safety equipement like Handheld VHF, flares, Gekkos etc untill the conditions get threatening and this just shows you what can happen unexpectantly.

Wouldn't trim tabs help with Chine walking?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 22:57   #34
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
You are probably aware that the head loses a lot more heat in the water than the body.
Begging your pardon your chubbiness but work this out. Your body loses heat in the water a lot faster than in air. If you're bobbing about in a LJ, your head is out of the water.

So, where is most of the heat going from?

An average head represents 7-10 percent of skin area. (20 per cent in your case). Why does that 7-10 per cent lose heat faster than the other 93-90 per cent of the body?

ps. Happy Christmas
Old 14 December 2009, 02:10   #35

Careful you are not one of the 2

Right I am only reiterating what I was taught on my rya sea survival course and for that matter my BOSIET course

I wouldn't begin to argue with you as I have far to much respect for your anatomical and medical knowledge. and I can only handle one argument at a time.

But I have to say I am now confused.

re the warm clothes I have been chucked in on a few occasions and I definitely found it was good to change into them

Merry Christmas to you too , I s'pose
Old 14 December 2009, 06:06   #36

Town: Devon. uk
Boat name: bananashark
Make: me
Length: 7m +
Engine: opti 225
Is it not true that shock/cold draws blood to vital functions ie organs and brain. Would that not cut down heat loss from the body, but still be almost the same from the head regardless of relative area?
Old 14 December 2009, 06:14   #37

Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten View Post
Is it not true that shock/cold draws blood to vital functions ie organs and brain.
That's what first aid courses teach...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 08:08   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
First I'd like to echo everyone else by saying I'm glad that things worked out for you and that both you and your girlfriend are both fine.

What surprises me more however is that you don't experience this more often? You where as mad as a hatter during the Searider Cruise
Thats just it Andy, i do experience it quite often but always been comfortable with it, especially in more lumpy sea conditions, but on this occassion it was relatively calm. Maybe in future i will only go out in sh*t weather conditions, beautiful winter days are far too scary for me
Old 14 December 2009, 08:31   #39
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Right I am only reiterating what I was taught on my rya sea survival course and for that matter my BOSIET course
You should know better - instructors on these courses have no real experience/direct research they've just learned a bunch of stuff that someone on their course told them - so one piece of mis-information gets propogated down the line!

Although I suspect DM is winding you up a little because of how you phrased it! I'm surprised he didn't ask where you should 'run' to on a SR4 . On a more serious note I thought 'rubbing' a casualty with potential hypothermia was not advised (encourages peripheral blood vessels to open up - sending cold blood back to vital organs and further cooling the warmer blood by exposing to skin).
Old 14 December 2009, 08:42   #40

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Glad you were both okay Gibbo - makes our cock up (thanks Polwart ) seem but a minor inconvienience compared to actually ending up out of the RIB - interesting though that even then you had a pre warning to not go out with a dead battery as a hurdle - is there a Saint of RIB's????

Will be looking at some personal flares - they seems a good idea

Take care Gibbo

Jxx

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote