Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 13 August 2007, 16:39   #41

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
PayPal would not be responsible for a courier losing a parcel - surely he should have had insurance before sending it?
Old 13 August 2007, 16:49   #42

Length: no boat
Mr. ruber bonham-smith

I payed him 100£ for the shipment and o know that this is the right price if i was shipping something fully incured from Denmark to UK.

If enyone want to read the mails i got from this guy they're welcome to contact me and maybe i also will publish them on this site.

Apparantly this crook is trying to ribb me off, otherwise he has shipped the engine for a long time ago.

Jorgen
Old 13 August 2007, 16:53   #43

In fairness that sounds very cheap for shipping. I suspect it wasn't insured at that pricebut he should have made that clear. You may pay that in Denmark but we pay a fortune here. It is always a big problem for me as I sell quite a bit on Ebay. They charge all sorts of fuel surcharges now.
Old 13 August 2007, 16:59   #44

It's maybe a cheap price but this mail got the bell ringing..

The engine is on the way by a budget carrier on an economic service. I only had £60 left after the paypal fees for the shipping so had to choose the slow route. Dont worry its on the way!

Jorgen
Old 13 August 2007, 17:07   #45

I wonder if he used these people - they have now vanished!!!

http://selectiveuk.tripod.com/id9.html

They caused me no end of hassle. I started using them and they were fine. Then they let me down and I was stuck. I was still quoting the old prices but there is no way anyone can do the shipping at those prices.

The difference is I either refunded people's money in full or paid extra out of my own pocket.

Funnily enough I sent a parcel to Denmark and Iceland with them - they mixed them up and they eventually arrived about 3 months late!!!
Old 13 August 2007, 17:10   #46

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Bonham-Smith View Post
What well boasted heritage? I havnt boasted anything on this. Its all you boffins digging it up through search engines etc. As for 6 months - that is paypal for you and that is why the company has been on BBC Watchdog for 6 months. As for leaving the country I'm just sorting out my right to reside in the channel islands. Im looking forward to enjoying the benefits of the tax free lifestyle!
Somebody give Bergerac a shout
Old 13 August 2007, 17:18   #47

He said that he was using a compagny called Blofeld Direct.

I didn't managed to find this compagny at all but he provided me with a tracking number, to what i think, a non existing compagny in the UK

Jorgen
Old 13 August 2007, 17:22   #48

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by The great dane View Post
He said that he was using a compagny called Blofeld Direct.

I didn't managed to find this compagny at all but he provided me with a tracking number, to what i think, a non existing compagny in the UK

Jorgen

Wasn't that a Bond Baddie? or was that Blofelt
Old 13 August 2007, 18:21   #49

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Stavro_Blofeld

He must be joking - he must be!!! Maybe the submarine delivering it has been diverted???
Old 13 August 2007, 19:10   #50

I have just received a mail from an other ebayer the crook has cheated for a litle time ago.

Hi, I've already created a dispute on ebay he hasn't replied so far and i don't think he will. it sound like he buys the engines cheap attempts to repair them then gets rid of them (he seems to know a little about them). You can contact hampshire police and start legal procedings also if you wish. We are getting our engine professionally repaired. Its actually quite a new engine and therefore spending a few more pounds isnt too sad.. (considering hes removed the seriel number so he probably stolen it from somewhere)...

It seems that this guy is cheatin for a living.....
Old 14 August 2007, 13:44   #51
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
TimW what was actually said was "I think Roopy-Poops MIGHT be in for a rude awakening" which suggests that if this is the way he treats his customers then someone is going to pop round and smash his face in which in all fairness is what will eventually happen if you continue to openly shaft people.
Threats of physical violence, either explicit or implied, are not acceptable on RIBnet.

Speculating whether someone's business practices may earn them a smack in the mouth may be seen by some people as a implied threat. Indeed, Rupert Bonham-Smith (aka Barry Blitter) has emailed me to complain about this thread saying "I find it fairly outrageous that people are allowed to post threats of physical harm which are not quickly regulated."

However I assumed that Nos4r2 just meant that complacent business practices are hard to sustain with a wider audience, and think that Chris may have been wrong in his interpretation. I do not believe that anything in this thread constitues a threat of violence.

John
Old 14 August 2007, 13:51   #52

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
John, you are correct in that no threat was implied. Although If I were RBS I would consider treating my punters with a little more care as one of them one day might not be as patient as Great Dane.

Chris
Old 14 August 2007, 14:28   #53

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
However I assumed that Nos4r2 just meant that complacent business practices are hard to sustain with a wider audience, and think that Chris may have been wrong in his interpretation. I do not believe that anything in this thread constitues a threat of violence.

John
I also doubt Nos4r2 was advocating violence, but your assumption of what he meant is quite complex and therefore a little unlikely; its more probable that his post was just for effect.
Old 14 August 2007, 15:14   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
I also doubt Nos4r2 was advocating violence, but your assumption of what he meant is quite complex and therefore a little unlikely
My choice of words could probably have been better!
Quote:
its more probable that his post was just for effect.
Quite possible

John
Old 14 August 2007, 15:26   #55

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
.... I was going to add some choice words.. but on reflection .. have refrained... At the end of the day if somebody has been conned-- its bad and criminal.... but the real problem is that people nowadays consider this "normal". I for one don't. I sincerely hope Great Dane gets his engine.. but time will tell.

Jonathan
Old 14 August 2007, 17:38   #56
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
To clear it up:-

What I meant was it's bloody difficult to rip people off when a wider audience has information about your dubious business practices. I'd call a sudden drop in income a pretty rude awakening. (which, when I look at it isn't actually much different from what JK said)

I do agree with Chris though-even though it wasn't what I meant. If I kept ripping people off then I would expect to eventually have a knock on the door and find my teeth separated from my jaw shortly afterwards. It may not be legal, but everyone isn't a law abiding citizen. It's not a threat or in any way implied as one-just a fact of life. Sh*t happens-but it's a lot easier to avoid if you don't sit under the arse of the dog...

However, I did deliberately word it so it could be interpreted in many different ways as it's quite fun seeing who'll bite.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2007, 18:38   #57
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Threats of physical violence, either explicit or implied, are not acceptable on RIBnet.

wel dats mee an misster garrside wel an trooly fukt.

gaRf
Old 15 August 2007, 12:48   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
It seems clear to me that:
Great Dane has not received his engine despite paying for it 6 months ago.
Great Dane purchased the engine via the seller's stipulated payment method.
Great Dane is not responsible for any problems with the sellers Paypal account.
The seller has failed to deliver or re-imburse Great Dane by multiple available methods of doing so.

The only reason that the above cannot be fact is that Great Dane is lying though his teeth; and I do not believe that.
The rumours about Rupert's business ethics are just rumours but fact is he is now a convicted person with a police record.
Info. for Rupert: you are now no longer able to get a Visa to visit the USA due to your conviction, so do not try.

So Rupert, what do you have to say?
If we could just get the facts correct here. Jorgen insisted on paying through paypal and it was stated to him that we did not want this.

We made it clear that we had very little money for postage and therefore would take an econimical service. Royal Mail surface post offers no compensation for missing items. Jorgen made it clear that paypal would offer him buyer protection.

A claim was filed by Jorgen through paypal dispute. He won and the full amount was awarded to him. Paypal reversed the transaction.

The issue was with Jorgen and paypal. I offered an alternative engine which is now on route with UPS fully insured. This was an act of goodwill and we have agreed a strict contract that once received the transaction will be reversed again on paypal.

I have no criminal convictions nor police record. Maybe you should check these things before making false assumptions. They amount to libel and in your litigious country carry serious financial penalty. I suggest you retract your comments immediately.
Old 15 August 2007, 13:06   #59
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Blitter View Post

I have no criminal convictions nor police record.
Would you mind explaining how, given the text below you seem to think a conditional discharge doesn't equate to a police record? You're just the kind of cowboy operator that we're better off without. I assume you're going to tell us the MCGA are liars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MCGA website
EASTLEIGH BOROUGH COUNCIL PROSECUTE VESSEL OPERATING WITH SUSPENDED LICENCE IN SOLENT

Yesterday, Southampton Magistrates Court heard the case of Eastleigh Borough Council v Rupert Bonham-Smith. Mr Bonham-Smith of Passage Lane, Warsash, was found guilty of letting for hire his vessel, Spectre of Defeat, while it’s licence was under suspension, under Section 94 of the Public Health Acts (Amendment) Act. He was sentenced to a 6 month conditional discharge and £500 costs.

Mr Bonham-Smith received a Category 2 Local Authority licence allowing him to operate his vessel in the Solent in May 2004 with 10 persons on board including 1 crew. The licence was valid for 5 years. On the 29th June 2004 the licence was suspended by Eastleigh Borough Council following recommendation by both the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and The River Hamble Harbour Master as a result of their safety concerns.

On the weekend of 25th and 26th September 2004 Spectre of Defeat was chartered from Mr Bonham-Smith for £400 while the licence was still under suspension. Hamble River Patrol stopped him on the fuel berth and enquired if the charterer was aware that the vessel did not have a certificate. He was unaware of this fact and the man was then asked to provide his details and appeared as a witness for the prosecution in court yesterday.

Captain Amir Esmiley, Principal Surveyor with the MCA Marine Office says,

“This prosecution illustrates that unlicensed operators which are putting the public’s lives at risk on the water, will be prosecuted. It is an important and timely reminder for the public who may be considering getting afloat during the upcoming maritime festivities in the Solent area. If you are a paying passenger joining a chartered vessel ensure that it is properly certified. Valid certificates should always be held on board the vessels and if you have any doubts, contact the MCA 24 hour information line on 0870 6006505”

Posted by: Julia Gosling

For further details contact:
The Maritime & Coastguard Agency Duty Press Officer
Office hours: 023 8032 9401
It's a very poor excuse for a human being that hides behind laws and loopholes.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2007, 13:10   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Blitter View Post
I offered an alternative engine which is now on route with UPS fully insured. This was an act of goodwill and we have agreed a strict contract that once received the transaction will be reversed again on paypal.
So it looks like everyone will be happy in the end which is nice. I'm sure Jorgen will let everyone know when the motor arrives.

Of course, if you had chosen to share this information about four pages ago it would probably have cleared things up quicker.

John