Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 28 April 2021, 13:55   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicestershire
Make: Avon SR4 Zodiac 310
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc 40 2s Merc 15 2
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 197
Ducks back cover Ribcraft 4.8

Sorry Iíve asked this before last year may be but does any owners of 4.8 Ribcraft have a Ducks back cover that could recommend a size , mine has the A Frame
Iíve emailed Ducks back so waiting on a reply but thought Iíd get the low down from you owners aswell
Any photos would be great
Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
Jonny H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2021, 23:12   #2
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,344
a more expensive but much better quality option is seaswan .they will make you a very nice cover for circa £500-£600
__________________

__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 01:28   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 959
If you're buying an off-the-shelf cover like I did then it's not going to matter too much as long as you have full coverage.

You see in the pics a 17-19' Oxford 600D generic cover from eBay, fitted around a Polypipe frame that prevents water pooling. I purchased a Ducksback centre console cover (seen in pic) at the same time and to be honest prefer the thicker Oxford fabric.

Time will tell how it holds up but it was just £40 with £15 for the pipe and fittings. Cover needs a few extra tie-downs for added tension which I will do. The push-fit pipe can be bent with a heat gun where needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PolypipeFrame.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	137144   Click image for larger version

Name:	19ftOxford600D.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	137145  
__________________
Limecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 12:30   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicestershire
Make: Avon SR4 Zodiac 310
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc 40 2s Merc 15 2
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 197
Thanks for the replyís guys , Iím going to measure up and decide weather to go bigger and cover the a frame or not
__________________
Jonny H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2021, 13:43   #5
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,773
If you have an antenna on the A frame that may be a problem. I found it so on my RC5.3 with a DB cover.
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2021, 06:41   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
If you're buying an off-the-shelf cover like I did then it's not going to matter too much as long as you have full coverage.

You see in the pics a 17-19' Oxford 600D generic cover from eBay, fitted around a Polypipe frame that prevents water pooling. I purchased a Ducksback centre console cover (seen in pic) at the same time and to be honest prefer the thicker Oxford fabric.

Time will tell how it holds up but it was just £40 with £15 for the pipe and fittings. Cover needs a few extra tie-downs for added tension which I will do. The push-fit pipe can be bent with a heat gun where needed.
Well I guess I can answer my own question about how long an Oxford 600D cover will last. A: just a few months of summer.

The material seems very susceptible to sun damage and faded very quickly. Not bothered about the fading but I pulled the cover over last night and put my fingers through the brittle fabric. What a waste of money.

I've patched it up now using a colour coordinated patch from an Aldi shopping bag, some spray carpet glue and talcum powder (to take care of the overspray).

Just about to order a Ducksback cover for £85. Hope to get a few seasons out of it like Chipko reported in this thread I just found: ducks back cover advice ribcraft 4.8

I'm reluctant to spend ~£600 on what I consider a consumable item, not sure something else would last much longer than a Ducksback. Probably paying extra for a better fit, not a longer life. Comments welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uvDamageOxford600D.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	138367  
__________________
Limecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2021, 00:40   #7
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,344
oh dear well my seaswan cover is still as new and is made of the oxford 600d .i have had a ducksback in the past and it lasted one winter
__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2021, 00:44   #8
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
oh dear well my seaswan cover is still as new and is made of the oxford 600d .i have had a ducksback in the past and it lasted one winter
Fits well Click image for larger version

Name:	20201227_125013.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	138376
__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2021, 09:44   #9
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,362
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I'm reluctant to spend ~£600 on what I consider a consumable item, not sure something else would last much longer than a Ducksback. Probably paying extra for a better fit, not a longer life. Comments welcome.
A decent cover made out of truck "curtainside" will last a decade or more - particularly if it is fitted and doesn't flex in the wind. From what I've read here over the years, the Ducksback type solutions are good for maybe 2 summers - maybe good for a holiday cover while on tour or for use under a roof to keep the boat clean.
__________________
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2021, 10:34   #10
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS
Make: Ribcraft 4.8M
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Mariner EFi
MMSI: 250 005566
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 173
RIBase
As Wilk says I had one made out of heavy duty curtain side type material, it's done 3 windy wet Irish winters, kept my 4.8 tubes ok through the sun ( when we get it ) and the rain. Cost about 350 euro made to measure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210521_132303929_HDR.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	138379  
__________________
TimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2021, 10:38   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post
As Wilk says I had one made out of heavy duty curtain side type material, it's done 3 windy wet Irish winters, kept my 4.8 tubes ok through the sun ( when we get it ) and the rain. Cost about 350 euro made to measure
Thanks Tim,
Sounds good. Who made it?
__________________
Limecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2021, 10:42   #12
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS
Make: Ribcraft 4.8M
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Mariner EFi
MMSI: 250 005566
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 173
RIBase
Cork RIB Centre in Cork Ireland it was 350 euro including the engine cover as per picture. Brass eyelets that i use hooked bungees to hold to trailer. its blowing a Force 6 here at moment and cover does not budge.
__________________
TimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 16:10   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
A decent cover made out of truck "curtainside" will last a decade or more - particularly if it is fitted and doesn't flex in the wind. From what I've read here over the years, the Ducksback type solutions are good for maybe 2 summers - maybe good for a holiday cover while on tour or for use under a roof to keep the boat clean.
Went with your suggestion Willk and purchased a 6m x 3m PVC tarpaulin from Allplas Ltd for £130. They also sell them via ebay. It looks to be the same material used to make PVC RIB tubes so it's very durable, on the downside quite heavy.

I had and idea to improve the 40mm PVC frame I made and that was by sliding some 32mm pipe into the straight joins, the main one being over the console. The frame works really well even with the heavier material and it already stood up to temperatures of full sun. The 32mm is a perfect sliding fit and gives the joins more rigidity.

I used 20 x 1m bungee cords (10 pack costs £10 from Amazon) to hold the cover down, fitted in seconds and an improvement in the straps of the old cover which always needed adjustment.

I'm considering cutting the corners off instead of folding but I don't know if I'll bother. I have brass eyelets and would use Polymarine PVC glue (at the factory they welded it using hot air). Alternatively I'm sure if I trimmed it they would weld a hem back on for a modest fee and the cost of the postage. Here's what it looks like. Not the prettiest but I have every confidence it's going to last years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6x3mPVCtarp.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	138595  
__________________

__________________
Limecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib, ribcraft

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.