Old 08 January 2009, 17:56   #1

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Drysuit neck seal

Just bought myself a new Crewsaver drysuit...very pleased with it overall but I need some advice and guidance on the neck seal. When I first tried it on I looked like this - bulging eyes, mouth gasping for air, blue face through lack of oxygen. So, I need to cut it down and the blurb attached to the suit tells you how to do it. Fair enough. The question is, how far do you go before increasing your comfort level leads to potential water leaks?

I know the answer will be difficult to articulate but I'm sure a million of you out there will have done this. Some will have tales of woe, others tales of success.

Words of guidance, as ever, greatly appreciated
Old 08 January 2009, 18:00   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I personally never cut seals prefer to stretch them.
A rugby ball or similar is ideal for a neck seal, I used full coke bottles on my cuff seals and left em in a week, were fine after that.

Phill
Old 08 January 2009, 18:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I personally never cut seals prefer to stretch them.
A rugby ball or similar is ideal for a neck seal, I used full coke bottles on my cuff seals and left em in a week, were fine after that.

Phill
The Crewsaver neck seal is latex. Does that stretch and take a set or is it neoprene seals that stretch better?
Old 08 January 2009, 18:15   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Leapy, I cut mine to fit (Latex) there were rings around the seal to follow and I gradually took it back until I felt comfortable after wearing it for a few minutes. Its not as bad as it looks just take your time over the cuts. Dotn forget you are not using it for diving so it does not need to be as snug as a diving drysuit just snug enough to stop water leaking in.

Chris

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2009, 18:18   #5

Town: Nr Salcombe
Hi Leapy,

I've been using latex neck seals for about 8 years, mostly for kayaking.

While I agree with Chris in principal, I would suggest You want to under-cut (leave extra) by about 2-3 rings as you will find it will loosen up quite quickly. Make sure you get a very clean cut also as little nicks soon turn into rips, even with the rings!

Also invest in some seal saver, I believe typhoon do their own, especially as you will be using it in a saltwater environment I assume!!
Old 08 January 2009, 19:00   #6

Town: Huntly
Make: Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 Suzuki
Hi Leapy,

Cut the seal above the ridge (ring) until it feels comfy but still tight, I have dived for 20 years and not ripped a neck seal, it usually happens to people donning the suit ie pushing your head through the seal. If you cut until it is tight but comfy you won't have problems with water seeping inn(unless you are out in extreme weather where you tense your neck muscles! you may then get a trickle, there is more chance of getting wet from sweat).

P.s had a great day out last saturday on the Moray Firth (-6) and no dry siut just laods of layers.

Just cut it carefully above the line.

Alan
Old 08 January 2009, 20:58   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Make sure when you cut the seal, make sure you don't leave any jagged edges (they appear when you reposition the scissors and restart the cut, but don't get exactly the same incision line.) The little cut will enlarge into a rip the first time you stretch it (well, maybe not the very first, but you get the idea.)

One option for trimming is to slightly stretch the seal over a tapered metal object (a dive cylinder works well; anything shaped right would, but a dive cylinder won't be damaged by the blade), and use a single-edged razor blade (or similar) to go completely around the seal in one fell swoop.

AlanT; I've found that most people rip the seals as they're stretching them to get them started over the head, but not quite at the point of head insertion. When mine go, it's usually due to hand stretching rather than head stretching.

Many divers here spray the seals down with a soap and water mix before donning and doffing (skin oil does a number on the latex. The soapy water both cleans the seals and lubes them up so they go on and off easier.) I'd suggest patting them dry and dusting heavily with talc or cornstarch prior to storage, as well. I used to wipe mine down with 303 Aerospace, but it didn't seem to make all that much of a difference.

jky
Old 09 January 2009, 02:11   #8

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Like these guys said... Do it in small increments with a very sharp pair of scissors. The latex will give a little after a bit, and this can be facilitate as jy said, by stretching the seal over a tank or ball.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2009, 08:36   #9

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
neck seal

used to dive with drysuit with latex neck seal, i used to put a little cream round my neck before getting in the suit, it did help
Old 09 January 2009, 14:57   #10

Town: birmingham
Boat name: dawnraid
Make: ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ob 200hp
neck seals

as a diver of 30+ years unless you have a massive bull neck go with chewy way & use bags of talc or jyasaki way & leave for a few weeks. do not use sillicon based products ,suncream,moisturiser ect.soapy water to ease befor remoovel from neck then talc again
Old 09 January 2009, 15:12   #11

I decided to cut it...The suit came with instructions from Crewsaver on how to do it and I cut it a ring at a time until I got to a good tight fit as opposed to a fit. I'm not exaggerating, as received, it was almost tourniquet tight and after wearing it for 30 seconds I could feel myself going light headed As I don't intend diving I'm not looking for a water tight seal at 100ft (or whatever you guys go down to)...I'm just looking for a water tight seal if I fall in.

Thanks to all who offered advice