Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 10 November 2020, 16:27   #21

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Escapade
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: diesel Yanmar 315hp
I bought a cheap drone a Holystone 120 @ 120 quid its ideal for beginner's also its GPS
so can hold its position good results flying from home and probably from the Rib its the
recovery from the rib which worries me
Old 10 November 2020, 16:28   #22

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiverton_tom View Post
fyi - in Canada,

you need licenses for most cases

but for sure need one for operating from any kind of a boat or near a boat
Not your own boat
Old 10 November 2020, 16:51   #23

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
Not your own boat
I thought you needed a licence in the UK whether it's your own boat or not if the drone weights over 250g ( which is why they've made the model you linked to 249g I assume?)

I've never owned one but frequently tempted. However, the max altitude of 120m sounds pretty low on that DJI Mini 2 ?
Old 10 November 2020, 17:21   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
I thought you needed a licence in the UK whether it's your own boat or not if the drone weights over 250g ( which is why they've made the model you linked to 249g I assume?)

I've never owned one but frequently tempted. However, the max altitude of 120m sounds pretty low on that DJI Mini 2 ?
It is not a Licence it is registration and the mini does not require registration. To be honest there has been so much legislation and new legislation that most people are totally confused including those that are the only ones to police it. Many love to copy and paste the rules (Wait a while it will happen here). If you use common sense and fly away from people you will be fine. Some busy body might come along with what they think is the law but they will most likely be wrong.

No DJI Drone has any height limit. you can change this as you like in the software it is preset to 120 m but is changed if you wish in a second. The 120m is a legal limit.

To be honest 120m up is very high and one would generally not want to fly any higher.

I have been drone flying for more years then I care to remember and would say if you have the cash get one from DJI you will love it. The mini 2 is an excellent choice. If you would like to discuss further send me a pm with your number (assuming you are UK) and will happily give you a call
Old 10 November 2020, 17:52   #25

OK thanks for the info. I'll look into it a bit deeper and may take you up on the offer to discuss.

BTW - Out of curiosity, do you know what height the Heybridge Basin pic was taken at?
Old 10 November 2020, 18:56   #26

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
OK thanks for the info. I'll look into it a bit deeper and may take you up on the offer to discuss.
Give him your number, have a chat. You know you want to.
Old 10 November 2020, 21:56   #27

Quote:

BTW - Out of curiosity, do you know what height the Heybridge Basin pic was taken at?
Not sure about the height at Heybridge Basin but I suspect about 70m. I could check the flight log which would give that information
Old 10 November 2020, 22:07   #28

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
As a matter of interest, do you have any more drone footage of you on your other boats? I've watched your video of your Honwave on the Upper Hamble and was wondering if you've got more of you on the others.
Old 11 November 2020, 09:00   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
That 360deg image is impressive SR. It's just the sort of thing we look for together with drone video when researching holiday cottages to get an idea of their proximity to others, parking facility, distance to slipway etc.
Old 11 November 2020, 09:24   #30

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
That 360deg image is impressive SR. It's just the sort of thing we look for together with drone video when researching holiday cottages to get an idea of their proximity to others, parking facility, distance to slipway etc.
The DJI's have ( and I'm sure most hi-end drones ) numerous special features / programs the drones can carry out, active tracking, panoramic pic's etc, etc. All the user has to do is click the option and the pre-programed flight and images are then completed, so easy even I can do it........
Old 11 November 2020, 15:35   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Ironically I had to visit one of my sites today that was near Heybridge Basin so took the new DJI Mini 2 Drone and took another 360 Pano with that Drone (The Previous one was taken from my Mavic Air 2). This was at a lower altitude.

Here it is if anyone is interested or wants to have a pop

https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/h...basin-nov-2020
Old 11 November 2020, 15:39   #32

I also wanted to see how the new Mini 2 was in the wind as the Mini is not that good (The Mavic Air is incredible by the way). Here is a video of mine flying at Heybridge Basin. You can see the flag on the boat blowing behind it. It was quite windy but not mental windy.

I was very pleased with how it handled it

Old 11 November 2020, 15:44   #33

I also wanted to tests its (Mavic Mini 2) 360 Pano capability. So here is a quite low level one taken today at Heybridge Basin which is near one of my work sites

https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/h...basin-nov-2020
Old 11 November 2020, 17:39   #34

Good pics again. Thanks. It's a shame you can't zoom in more for detail. Is that a limitation of the image, the camera or Skypixel software (or something else) ?
Old 11 November 2020, 19:04   #35

Quote:
Good pics again. Thanks. It's a shame you can't zoom in more for detail. Is that a limitation of the image, the camera or Skypixel software (or something else) ?
The Camera on the drone will zoom in when in Video mode. There is no Zome in Picture mode.

The sort of Zoom I think you are thinking of is actually just stretching the pixels out and is a function of the software you are viewing the image in