Old 21 May 2015, 10:20   #1

Town: Royan
Make: Valiant 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 80
Drain Plugs

I have searched but I can't get a definitive answer so sorry for asking what is probably a stupid question! I've had boats for thirty years but my Valiant 550 is the first RIB I've owned. I don't get how, what I presume are the scupper drains, work. These are the two drains at the back of the boat which vent underwater. When underway, the accumulated water is drained but back on the pontoon or moored-up, the rear of the boat is in an annoying puddle. I've found two loose plugs with levers on the top which when at 90 degrees presumably form a seal and 'bung' the holes. How are you supposed to use these? Do you happily motor about and then when you are ready to moor-up, stick the bungs in or is it accepted that the back of the boat is always wet? Also, if you leave them set while at the pontoon, if it rains, the water won't drain away - or am I missing something?
Old 21 May 2015, 10:33   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribrova View Post
I have searched but I can't get a definitive answer so sorry for asking what is probably a stupid question! I've had boats for thirty years but my Valiant 550 is the first RIB I've owned. I don't get how, what I presume are the scupper drains, work. These are the two drains at the back of the boat which vent underwater. When underway, the accumulated water is drained but back on the pontoon or moored-up, the rear of the boat is in an annoying puddle. I've found two loose plugs with levers on the top which when at 90 degrees presumably form a seal and 'bung' the holes. How are you supposed to use these? Do you happily motor about and then when you are ready to moor-up, stick the bungs in or is it accepted that the back of the boat is always wet? Also, if you leave them set while at the pontoon, if it rains, the water won't drain away - or am I missing something?
self drainers which have a rubber mushroom valve in work when underway as the water has somewhere to go, when stood they wouldn't drain until the water level was a lot higher in the boat than the sea, the trouble with them is they get full of debris so need cleaning regularly to stop them leaking.
for the water stood in the boat [after rain] two options fit an all over cover or an automatic bilge pump wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse be carefull of battery drain i leave mine for a week and its ok.

hope that helps
Old 21 May 2015, 10:36   #3

RIBase
oh the bungs are expanding when the leaver is pushed down and should be put in if left to prevent the boat flooding if the mushroom valves bypass.
Old 21 May 2015, 11:07   #4

Town: Royan
Make: Valiant 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 80
Many thanks Jeff. So in summary, the bungs should be left in all the time with the lever set to 90 degrees?
Old 21 May 2015, 15:48   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribrova View Post
Many thanks Jeff. So in summary, the bungs should be left in all the time with the lever set to 90 degrees?
definitely whilst on the water mine are screw type so always in but if your leaving the boat in all summer i would get a cover not just for rain but also UV, seagull poo, etc
Old 21 May 2015, 16:52   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
oh the bungs are expanding when the leaver is pushed down and should be put in if left to prevent the boat flooding if the mushroom valves bypass.
You can usually adjust the final expanded diameter of these plugs by giving the lever part a bit of a tighten (the lever action is a cam, but they are basically screwed onto a threaded rod to set the length and hence the degree of cam action.) Though some I've seen have the adjustment on the backside via a screw head.

jky