Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
double jockey console vs a jockey console with two seats

I am in the process of modifing my console. I cannot afford to purchase a new unit. I am asking how a double jockey console compaires to a jockey console with two individual seat. pros and cons.

Are wings on seat backs worth the money?

I think that some individual seats on the jockey units are too long to allow the back rest to be used as a leaningpost when standing up. Thus what is the best lenght of an individual seat for the driver of a rib if the seat back is to be used as a leaning post. ( i.e. a place to rest your arse when in a standing type position?

Having looked an a lot of different ribs I cannot understand why small ribs have low seats (too low) and larger ribs have seats at a proper height. If I live in a small house I do not have lower tables and chairs but if I live in a big house I have proper height tables and chairs. I have reached the conclusion that the look of a rib is more important to some rib makers than comfort

TSM
Old 13 January 2013, 06:50   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
In a v small rib, say 4m and less, if you have a full height jockey you would sit on it like an elephant riding a bicycle and give a very high leveraged centre of gravity.

With a bigger rib the tubes and hull enable a deeper internal height so not only do you feel more "inside" the rib, but the operators weight doesn't have such an effect on the boats stability.
Old 13 January 2013, 10:18   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I've fitted replacement jockey consoles with higher seating positions to a couple of small(ish) RIBs now and the driving experience has been vastly improved.
Old 13 January 2013, 10:21   #4

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Two individual seat pods will cost more and will limit your storage potential for long items. They do make it easier to move around the boat, but take up more deck space. The potential for fitting a driver's backrest is easier with separate seat pods and this is an important factor.
Old 14 January 2013, 10:01   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
OTher thing to remember with "double" jockeys is that thay tend to be described assuming everyone sitting on them is a stick insect!

I have a supposed double - I have to almost have my lifejacke tangled in the steering wheel to make the rear seat sensiblty useable. Likewise I always reckoned the Avon "3 man" as found on the SR5.4 was a comfortable 2 man jockey.....

Other thing with low - whren it gets lumpy, the advantage is you can use "knee suspension" and not worry about the seat slamming your nuts every other wave.
Old 25 January 2013, 08:31   #6

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I notice that Ribcraft do not produce a double jockey seat console. they produce a console with two in built single seats. I wonder what is the average lenght of such a seat?

TSM