Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 March 2021, 21:11   #1

Length: 5m +
Donegal/ Rathlin Rib Trips, Advice on sea worthiness and gaining experience

Hello I have been a bit of a pest on here recently with questions about ribs. Finally bit the bullet and bought one!

Its a circa 2003 5.5m Humber with a 60hp Yamaha FEO 2 stroke. 4hp auxillary. Will do 28 mph fully loaded and 32mph light load on flat lake conditions. VHF radio, all safety gear.

In regards to experience I have my level 2 powerboating 2 years full time experience driving a Mastercraft for a watersports company in the states, a decent amount of sea kayaking experience and a bit of an outdoors man. I also work as an Emergency Department doctor so I like to think I'm a sensible enough chap for 27

90% of my boating experience is on lakes. I have always wanted to bring a rib to some islands off the coast of Donegal / Rathlin. With a lightweight camping setup.

My concerns are my boat has quite a shallow hull and its not bursting with power.

I am learning alot about tides and weather paterns (have a decent understanding at present). Practicing handling my RIB in loch erne and edging into the broad loch for some practice with waves.

Would a vessel of this size and spec be capable of a 10mile trip offshore to an island? (Obviously any vessel would in the flat, but what kind of conditions would it not be capable for?)

Can anyone else recommend ways of gaining experience on the sea, Ideally I would love to go out with someone else and shadow them/ supply beer/ petrol tokens to them. (If anyone is every around the North coast of Ireland / Donegal hit me up!

Lastly if anyone can recommend any good islands to visit, with a decent slipway (suitable for a 2l Passat) that would be great.

Im already hooked and planning a bigger rib (Dangerous game to be at this on the wallet). However finance and other half's dictate ill have this one for some time.

I have included some photos of how the rib sits in the water and have a video of it running.

Thanks Folk,
Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	161274396_651315072303750_1297300387750265891_n.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	136605   Click image for larger version

Name:	161706960_1448438908873058_1815771134303658852_n.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	136606  
Old 19 March 2021, 09:07   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
With your previous water experience and practical turn of mind, you'll be fine. The RIB will be fine too - provided it all works. As a kayaker, you'll be more aware of weather and tides than some - these will be key in the success of your plans. Ultimately, I'd hate to be camping on a Donegal Island in weather unsuitable for a small Humber...

I'm familiar with Tory, Inishtrahull and Rathlin, putting boots on them all most years - post here or PM me if you want a steer.
Old 19 March 2021, 09:43   #3

Town: London
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15
If I were you I would launch the boat in Creevy outside Ballyshannon (good slipway) and maybe head to killybegs or up to Mullaghmore, just to familiarise yourself with running the boat in the sea etc.

In my opinion best place in Ireland for boating is West Cork, it’s a bit of a drive but plenty of places to go if you launch out of Schull or Baltimore. Islands to visit, towns and beaches.

Ps Lough Erne is great!
Old 19 March 2021, 10:03   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
It looks a great RIB, thanks for the pics. Coming from a guy who never kept the same boat more than two years, don't be too dissatisfied and keen to upgrade before you've really had some good times and chance to enjoy it.

Regarding performance, don't assume it's ever been set up properly, engine height, prop choice etc. Always worth checking.
Old 19 March 2021, 13:27   #5

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
With your previous water experience and practical turn of mind, you'll be fine. The RIB will be fine too - provided it all works. As a kayaker, you'll be more aware of weather and tides than some - these will be key in the success of your plans. Ultimately, I'd hate to be camping on a Donegal Island in weather unsuitable for a small Humber...

I'm familiar with Tory, Inishtrahull and Rathlin, putting boots on them all most years - post here or PM me if you want a steer.
Completely echo what Willk said. You're already asking the right questions, and you've answered one yourself - 10mile offshore trip, no problems in the right conditions. Only experience is going to tell you what the right conditions are and they depend on your crew and whether you are in company as well as just your boat.
Whenever you're "expanding your envelope" be that in terms of sea conditions of distance off shore, always best to do that in company if at all possible.
As a kayaker I'm sure "what could go wrong here?" Is regularly going through your mind, as it should on the RIB.
Happy boating [emoji4]
Old 19 March 2021, 17:38   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver mike View Post
In my opinion best place in Ireland for boating is West Cork
Sure isn't it pure daycint, Boi!

Only he be going Nort, like...

Tags
rib