Old 26 August 2012, 21:11   #1

Town: Rossendale
Boat name: Anemone
Make: Maxx Pro
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 6 outboard
Does anyone have a manual for a Maxx Pro RIB, please?

Hi all, fairly new to RIBS and bound to ask some daft questions, your experience and expertise is appreciated.

Question 1: I just bought a 3.8m Maxx Pro RIB from Dulas Boats in Amlwch on Angelesy (brokerage), but there is no manual - does anyone have a copy for a Maxx RIB? No sign on Goole so I guess they went bust. I'm not sure where to fit two of the planks that presumably reinforce the hull (below or above, what looks to me to be an inflatable keel tube which runs from bow to stern, is what I need to know). On top of that keel tube sits the inflatable floor.

Question 2: It came with a Mariner 6 2008 outboard. The toolkit that comes with new engines is missing. I cant find where to order a new one, any ideas and do I need to bother? The manual mentions emergency starting of the engine which requires the kit so I guess I need one.

Question 3: When launching a RIB with wheels at the stern, does it go stern or bow into the water first?

Question 4: The manual mentions connecting a hose to flush the engine after use in the sea. It mentions some kind of hose adapter that flushes the cooling system, but it is missing. I have searched the web, but am not sure where to get the hose adapter from and exactly what part I need, can you help? There are generic 'muff' kits but I dont know what will work. Does flushing using this method (which the manual says does not involve starting the engine) clear each part that needs flushing (the manual mentions the exhaust needs doing to but isnt clear whether the hose method works for this too) or do I still need to submerge the prop in fresh water and start the engine?

Question 5: I took the RIB out for the first time yesterday in the sea of Anglesey, but didnt manage to find a safe way of securing the engine to run fresh water through it to flush the system until 24 hours later - have I already created a salt build up in the engine? Someone said I could hold the motor in my hands with the prop in a bucket, but I declined on what I would call 'common sense' grounds.

Question 6: I rang the coatguard for advice, they said buy a flare and a VHF radio. Do I need a licence for the said radio? The radios are either £80 or £160 with the sales staff saying the dearer ones are better, I dont want to chat, just to call help if required, what would an experienced person buy in my shoes? I just want to go less than a mile from shore and catch mackerel! Is anyone selling a handheld VHF radio or where can I buy the cheapest practical one, please? I am low on cash after buying the RIB. Do I really need one?

Many thanks in anticipation of any help, and all the best.
Old 05 July 2013, 17:43   #2

Town: Rossendale
Boat name: Anemone
Make: Maxx Pro
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 6 outboard
Just bumping this as I had no replies, I have a 3.8m Maxx Pro SIB, in the absence of a manual, does anyone know what pressure I should fill it to?