Click Here to Login

Old 20 January 2008, 20:30   #1

Town: Boston
Boat name: not named yet
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Do you recognize this Zodiac valve?

Hi. One of my Zodiac inflatation valves won't turn. It's on a 1979 hypalon Zodiac. I noticed that for the most part these types of valves aren't made anymore. Does anyone know how to disassemble these and how to provide regular maintenance? Or where I can find out more about them? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full shot.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	32324   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve close up.JPG
Views:	619
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	32325  
Old 20 January 2008, 22:15   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Those valves were used on Grand Raids of that era. I have a 1982 Grand Raid Mark II with identical valves.

I assume that you are referring to the rotation of part 'C' (see diagram below) on part 'D' in order to go from 'inflation' to 'navigation' mode.

There is a spring loaded overpressure release mechanism where the spring applies pressure to seat C into D. If pressure within the tubes exceeds the pre-set load of the spring, the air pressure will push C away from part D to release the excesss pressure. Part C can be manually pulled away from D (against the spring pressure). It is much easier to do this on a stuck valve than it is to rotate it if it hasn't been lubed regularly.

Are you able to pull C away from D? If you can, work a bit of lube (lithium grease should be fine) into the gap until C is able to rotate freely. Do this at least yearly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full%20shotABCD.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	32331  
Old 20 January 2008, 23:12   #3

Thanks Prairie Tuber for the info. Yes, it is part c that I can't turn. I'll try as you suggest and see if I can pull it up off D to get some lithium grease or other recommended lubricant underneath. Great illustration, by the way. This makes talking about the issue much easier. It also gives me an idea of how I can illustrate technical matters in the future.

I was very happy to hear from your reply that the valves function as a pressure relief point. I was given the idea earlier on that the boat didn't have them.

Thanks for the likely name of my boat. It has always been a mystery to me. The model number, which I don't have at the moment, is a 4 digit number that begins with the number 2 I think. It's 12' 6" in length with a soft bottom, inflatable keel, and a hard deck.

Thanks again for your help. This is a great boat and I hope to use it for a few more years.
Old 20 January 2008, 23:27   #4

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
The Grand Raid series is part of Zodiac's professional line. With reasonable maintenance that boat should last for decades. Somewhere on the transom plate the should be a designation along the lines of "GR MK1" (Grand Raid Mark 1). Those valves are very strongly built, high quality pieces by the way. Their recreational boats used plastic valves of a similar design which were OK, but susceptible to cross -threading if you weren't careful.
Old 27 January 2008, 17:11   #5

Town: Cannes
Boat name: midkat 550
Make: apoge
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x50 Tohatsu
valve

when parts A and B are removed, you should see a 10mm nut inside C.
It is pushing against the spring above mentionned.
Just unscrew it, then remove C
Old 27 January 2008, 18:13   #6

Thanks. I'll be giving it a try within a couple of weeks, weather permitting.
Old 02 April 2012, 18:32   #7

Hi. Just found I have the same problem in one of my MKII GR 1981. Is it neccesary to remove the bolt Inside to take the two parts away ir just some pressure away from parts C and D will work?Help will be appreciated
Martin