Old 21 June 2020, 06:45   #1

Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
DIY Webbing Straps?

Is it feasible to stitch webbing straps with a home sewing machine?

Have a plan to make up some webbing straps to secure my spare fuel cans At the back of my boat. Bought some 50mm webbing and buckles but want to stitch some sections to create a permanent loop.

I don’t have a sewing machine but can either borrow one or get something off eBay, but the straps are obviously quite thick so not sure how feasible this is??
Old 21 June 2020, 07:50   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post

Have a plan to make up some webbing straps to secure my spare fuel cans At the back of my boat. Bought some 50mm webbing and buckles but want to stitch some sections to create a permanent loop.

I don’t have a sewing machine but can either borrow one or get something off eBay, but the straps are obviously quite thick so not sure how feasible this is??

Im sure some will think me an old wummin Bjohnston ..but I have a cheap singer sewing machine and although I don’t make clothes with it..I enjoy making things like tents and cover for my boats etc..So can answer your question with some degree of confidence.

Yes.. its easy peasy. Here is a photo of some sewing in 50mm webbing. The grey stitch on my buoyancy aid ..extention to prevent it slipping over my head was done with my machine bought from lidl for great cheapness.

Of course there are many grades of webbing..so perhaps very thick and hard webbing wont … this webbing was from an old holding bag for a SIB..to give you an idea of what I use. If you can push a pin easily through the webbing it should be OK

Hope that helps..and if you want to come to my sewing bee..its normally on a Tuesday morning at coffee time

Best regards
The Gurnard
Old 21 June 2020, 08:19   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

Cobblers.....
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:19   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
You can hand sew them even. The strength comes from the thread so use good quality. It will take a pretty good sewing machine to do anything heavy duty. I have an industrial sewing machine that weighs as much as I do, but borrowed my friends Sailrite walking foot when sewing 50mm heavy duty ratcheting straps. If the material is like these tie down straps for moving, then it will take a serious machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	133659   Click image for larger version

Name:	A3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	133660  
Old 21 June 2020, 08:51   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
A normal domestic sewing machine will handle webbing easily provided it’s not massively thick. Tie down straps with regular buckles should be fine, but heavy duty ratchet straps would need something more industrial.

Here’s one I made earlier

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	133664
Old 21 June 2020, 10:40   #6

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
There's a hand stitcher called a Speedy Stitcher which you can sew thicker webbing together with. In spite of the fact my stitching looks a bit Frankenstein I've yet to be able to make it fail. It's quite therapeutic for about 25mm!

It uses quite thick waxed polyester thread which I think is where it probably scores its only points over a domestic sewing machine.
Old 21 June 2020, 12:28   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
There's a hand stitcher called a Speedy Stitcher which you can sew thicker webbing together with. In spite of the fact my stitching looks a bit Frankenstein I've yet to be able to make it fail. It's quite therapeutic for about 25mm!

It uses quite thick waxed polyester thread which I think is where it probably scores its only points over a domestic sewing machine.
+1 i got one great piece of kit keep it in the boat too
Old 21 June 2020, 19:43   #8

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
A regular light duty sewing machine will not stitch tubular 1" webbing, which is 4 layers. A light duty sewing machine will sew 2 layers though. Either way a #18-#20 needle would be best.

Nylon thread is the strongest and often listed as upholstery thread. From there you can get far heavier duty thread. If it is going to be exposed to sunlight it will also need to be UV resistant. Webbing will fade, so a nice red, will turn pink. Dark blue will be light blue, and black turns to grey. Plastic buckles will fail and break quickly from UV exposure. There are Stainless buckles and ratcheting straps which is what I would use.

This is 1" tubular webbing. My industrial sewing machine does a good job with it. The old $25 yard sale sewing machine would not have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	web strap.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	133669  
Old 21 June 2020, 20:51   #9

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
The problem you might have with thick webbing is getting a double thickness underneath the sewing machine foot! My old singer machine will do it ok, just. By old I mean it used to belong to my granny and she likely got it second hand.
You can also sew it by hand but best to have a thimble or pull the needle through using pointy pliers. Also, you might come across kevlar thread for a good price on ebay if you're lucky.
Old 22 June 2020, 11:59   #10

Thanks for the replies, really helpful.

Having read them, i realise the webbing i have is not that thick at all, same thickness as the webbing used on life jackets, so a domestic sewing machine or the speedy stitcher will do the job.

I’ll pick up a speedy stitcher anyway, looks a good bit of kit to have on hand for repairs, especially given the price.
Old 06 July 2020, 21:12   #11

DIY Webbing Straps?

So i ordered a speedy stitch and set about making things up as i went along!

All a bit new and very much trial and error. I’m treating this as work in progress and the prototype. Have so far managed to stitch webbing together and make a harness for one of my fuel cans. Going to the boat at the weekend so will give some thought how to attach further straps to the frame to secure the fuel can.

Stitching pretty terrible on first couple of goes, got slightly better as i went on, but managed to stitch the straps together and attached a buckle! Seems pretty sturdy and have now worked out how to stitch in straigher(er) lines. Probably would also look better with black stitching but for the low cost of the materials I’ll probably make further adjustments before arriving at a final prototype for which I’ll be aiming for higher quality.

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	133970
Old 06 July 2020, 21:19   #12

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Use tailor's chalk & a ruler to draw a straight line on the thing you want to stitch & stitch along the line.
Old 06 July 2020, 21:23   #13
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
DIY Webbing Straps?

Quote:
Can’t seem to upload any pics though - keeps saying invalid file regardless of the photo file size i try
Sounds like you’re using a mobile device to access RIBnet via a web browser.

This is fine for most things, but the photo upload won’t work. You’ll either need to use a PC or an app (RIBnet or Tapatalk).
Old 06 July 2020, 21:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
If you’re using a mobile device you won’t be able to upload pictures via a web browser. You’ll either need to use a PC or an app (RIBnet or Tapatalk).
Thanks - that’ll be the reason then.
Old 06 July 2020, 21:29   #15

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	133971
Old 06 July 2020, 21:37   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Use tailor's chalk & a ruler to draw a straight line on the thing you want to stitch & stitch along the line.