Old 02 July 2009, 19:39   #1

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
DIY Spray Deck?

On the same weekend as the other project, I was reflecting on a trip we had made in March, where on returning from the Solent to Poole, we encountered some really rough seas. Whilst we were all dressed for the weather, I could not help but feel sorry for Mrs 250kts and 125kts who were sat on the rear bench seat. Everytime I turned round to check on them, it was like some comedy sketch, were someone in the wings was throwing a bucket of water over them.

We then began to run parallel with a Redbay who was making about the same headway, but had the open top crew enclosure, so were considerably dryer. That got me thinking ...

This is what I came up with! This is the prototype and made from light weight, Hotair ballon fabric (ripstop). Whilst it works very well, Version 2 is being made with white heavier sail cloth. It attaches to the windscreen surround with two push on pipe clips on a shaped piece of stainless steel and then to the A frame with quick release shock cords. It keeps with wind and spray off without restricting movement or viability and as you see, rolls up small enough to store in rear bench.

Pic1 = rolled up on bench
Pic2 = before errection!!
Pic3 = Interior view
Pic4 = The helm
Pic5 = The rear seat protection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY07.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	43741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY06.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	43742   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY08.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	43743   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY09.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	43744   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY10.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	43745  

Old 03 July 2009, 00:59   #2

Town: Cushendall
Boat name: JanJack /
Make: RedbayBoats / Brig
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 300 / etec 50
One problem I can foresee is that it will flap like mad and although this may not damage it the noise gets really irritating.

This can happen to the back end of our canopy on the redbay in certain conditions when the wind just catches it slightly and by the end of a 6 hour+ cruise up through the western isles you're ready to rip the damn thing off and chuck it in the sea
Old 03 July 2009, 09:18   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
If it gets rough enough to need it I guess the noise will be the last thing to worry about ! With this & the sundeck you wont need to get a bigger boat ! A quick cover from the top of the screen to the bow & you have a pretty decent 'tent' set up ?
Old 03 July 2009, 10:12   #4

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
I think that's really cool. Have you got some way of fastening it along the bottom edge?

I'm already thinking of how I can do something similar - be great for those cooler days. It'll be interesting to see the mark 2 version (3, 4, 5 ?).

From my experience with my tent, it's difficult to find a material that is waterproof enough, light enough, compact enough and cheap enough to try these things out.
Old 03 July 2009, 10:52   #5

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Chorscroft
Your right about the flapping noise, the red fabric is to light, which is why I have ordered heavier weight sail cloth. Even if some noise remains, we tend to do journeys of less than an hour in these sort of conditions where it might be needed, so should be bearable.

Alystra
Version 1 has shock cords running thorugh seems top and bottom which keep it in place better than I thought it might. With the small amount of tension, the friction around the consul keeps it place and the fixings on the A frame are light plastic on the top, but heavy at the bottom to help it against riding up. Version 2 will have another central seem with shock cord, to help reduce any remaining flapping.

Pete
I am only tinkering, it will still be up for sale in a few months, the bigger boat beccons ....
Old 03 July 2009, 17:31   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
have you tried in similar conditions to which you decided it was needed?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote