Old 01 June 2015, 20:58   #1

Boat name: Still deciding
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu M40C
DIY Service

You wouldn't believe the hassle I'm having getting somebody to service my outboard anytime soon!

It was running nicely (seemed it to me anyway) on test run. Just wanted to get pre season going over before starting to use.

I do 90% my own stuff on vehicles, etc so not completely useless and have very good tool selection inc very accurate torque wrenches.

So can I assume outboard service just consists of plugs, filters, impellor etc and general grease up...oh and new gear oil?

What about carb cleaning?

Watched few vids of impellors being swapped...looks handy enough.

Just thinking may have to have a go myself.

Tohatsu M40c

There seems no tables etc online that allow me to date the engine...see lots of others head scratching about this too. But read that Tohatsu parts are ordered by model no. only ie - not important. Couldn't be so is it? I thought parts would have evolved with newer versions.
Old 01 June 2015, 21:27   #2
RIBnet Supporter

You might consider buying a Tohatsu service manual from Clymer - they're a bit cryptic but very useful. Rib Shop are a good source of all parts Tohatsu - they're shipped stuff to me here in Donegal. They make a great range of cleaners and polishes too. Rib - inflatable boat & outboard parts, repair & service centre
Old 01 June 2015, 21:29   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You might consider buying a Tohatsu service manual from Clymer - they're a bit cryptic but very useful. Rib Shop are a good source of all parts Tohatsu and do service kits - they're shipped stuff to me here in Donegal. They make a great range of cleaners and polishes too. Rib - inflatable boat & outboard parts, repair & service centre
Don't skimp on the right lubes and make sure you replace any sealing washers with the correct NEW ones.
Old 01 June 2015, 21:40   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Don't skimp on the right lubes and make sure you replace any sealing washers with the correct NEW ones.
^^^ That's probably the best maintenance advice you'll ever get. Reusing sealing washers is a pretty good way to end up with a gearbox full of mayonnaise.

Also make sure it the sealing washers are the odd 3 colour (blue/black/blue layered) ones that you leave them to sit for a couple of hours then retighten the gearbox fill screws. They compress over time and can come loose enough to allow water in by halfway through the season.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2015, 21:47   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Personally I wouldn't touch the carbs. By all means drain the carbs (drain screw) on each carb. In addition, check and lightly lube the butterfly choke behind the air-box which is prone to seizing. The fuel filter on the engine can also be drained and cleaned.

Tohatsu parts are good quality, so fit like for like. More details here on part numbers: Tohatsu/Nissan Parts Catalog Menu

The year of manufacture on Tohatsu engines is normally on the serial number sticker on the lower engine casing.

Electrics are often overlooked, so use emery paper on bullet connectors and remove oxidisation. When you're changing spark plugs, check gap, lightly grease the thread, tighten by hand, and finish with ratchet but don't over-torque.
Old 01 June 2015, 21:52   #6

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Whereabouts in the world are you David ?
Old 01 June 2015, 22:19   #7

Boat name: Still deciding
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Tohatsu M40C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Whereabouts in the world are you David ?
I'm in Northern Ireland.

Everything you chaps have mentioned is very much the same principles I work to on my vehicles so good to know.

Yes I prefer to leave carbs well alone where possible on anything as can open a can if worms unless the really need attention.