Old 09 September 2007, 23:16   #1

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Length: 5m +
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
diving at night lights

Been diving for years but just found out diving at night from a boat here in the states you need to display red-white-red lights on a pole setup. Is any one aware of a mast pole setup this way. Tried diving, boating supply outlets they had nothing. Asked some of my dive buddies and they were not aware they needed lights.I have not check with our local dive shops yet. I am one of a few idiots that dive at night offshore so it is not a big issue for most
Old 10 September 2007, 03:41   #2
CAH

Town: San Diego
Make: Zodiac SRMN
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 130hp
You must be referring to the navigational rules pertaining to Restricted Maneuverability which is an international set of rules not just U.S. rules. Along with the lights one should also display the code “Alpha” flag. During the day ball and diamond shapes are used in place of the lights. You will find commercial divers and the military using these signals but rarely will recreation divers obey these rules. Anchor lights and the red divers flag is what I’ve lived with my entire life.

If you really want that Christmas tree red\white light setup you will have to fabricate it as this is custom for each boat.
Old 10 September 2007, 16:28   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
CAH has it right. As a recreational boat, an anchor light is generally all you will be expected to show at night (though I fly a dive flag the sits within the light blanket, as well.) Don't expect other boats to give you the clearance you get flying a flag during the day (assuming they do; I've had jetski's use boats flying dive flags as turn markers.)

If you really want a solid answer, contact the USCG office that oversees your area, and ask them.

Here in California, our state law has no legal requirement for a dive flag at all. No requirement to fly one, and only suggestions for staying clear of a boat that is flying one.

jky
Old 10 September 2007, 18:09   #4
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Here in California, our state law has no legal requirement for a dive flag at all.
yew mite fynd dat ifn yew arr inn a mareen cort de jujj wud saiy oi mistir yasarki yew nobbur. nevver mynd dat calyfawnia stait lorr bollux. de ircps taik de fkin presidense ova eny poksy colowniul lorr

sow dat meens yew shud bee showin de lites faw a nobbur dat iz reestrictid inn iz abilititty too manoover

thers a feww bote dryvers i noe dat shud bee showin dem orl de tyme

gaRf
Old 10 September 2007, 22:49   #5

Thanks i have a call into the local cg station but the person i need to talk to was not to be found. I think there is one person with all the answers and they are always taken a long lunch. Called before about firearms on a boat took two days for an answer. Have a conceal permit to carry in New Hampshire and wanted to make sure I was okay 3 miles offshore
Old 11 September 2007, 01:39   #6

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
Have a conceal permit to carry in New Hampshire and wanted to make sure I was okay 3 miles offshore
It strikes me that if you were to "un-conceal" your firearm and wave it towards any oncoming boats that it would serve as a nice deterrent!

In Tobermory, we are diving in a National Park. Shore divers must fly the red and white dive flag by law. Boats can fly that or the Alpha flag by day. At night, charter boats (generally steel tugs) do use the red/white/red lights. I don't dive much anymore at night have discovered the joys of drinking heavily after 6:00, but when I do (dive at night), I just light up my flag with an anchor light... There's never more than one boat out anyway, so it's not a huge issue...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 01:56   #7
CAH

Town: San Diego
Make: Zodiac SRMN
Engine: Outboard 130hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
Have a conceal permit to carry in New Hampshire and wanted to make sure I was okay 3 miles offshore
The 3 mile limit is for pump and dump (Clean Water Act), not sure how that relates to weapons. If you are looking for the territorial sea limit of the United States you must travel 12 miles out from the nearest beach. The United States and most other countries extend 12 miles out into the sea.
Old 11 September 2007, 09:14   #8

Could use it "unconcealed" mostly at the ramp getting nitwits to prepare in the parking lot not on the ramp. I used the 3 mile just as a figure, you never see the local police or state marine patrol any farther than that. Wanted to know the rules do not need the hassle but you never know when a rogue lobster might attack the boat. We dive at night 3 to 4 times a year so it is not a big deal. Diver died in MA and he was being followed by a boat and the discussion was about flags etc and that was the first time I had heard about add. lights. We have dove from a number of boats and never "lit up".
Old 24 September 2007, 20:57   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Just got back from a week of diving in Hawaii (Big Island; Kona coast.)

Surprise: They use the red-white-red lights there. Must have done so the last few times I was there, as well, but I never noticed. Can't say if it was only a commercial thing, as I didn't see any private dive boats out at night.

I hope you hear from your local CG station; I'd be curious as to what they say. I'm going to ask Station Monterey (my local station when I'm diving) when I get a chance.

jky
Old 25 September 2007, 06:17   #10

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
IRPCAS (colregs)

The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (colregs/IRPCAS) will shed some light on things for you!
They are promulgated by the IMO me thinks. (International Maritime Org)

The IMO has a fairly friendly site, but I would highly recomend RYA publication G2/95 which highlights they key rules for leisure boaters. It also gives a bit of advice on how to 'apply' the rules. Great little book with just 50 odd pages instead of the coffee table manual of the full regs.
BB