Old 22 December 2019, 18:49   #1

Town: Kailua Kona
Boat name: No Problem
Make: Merritt
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard
Difference between Willard 700 vs 730 and Hurricane 733

Hello and merry x-mas (almost).

I am new to the form/site, but have spent some time lurking. I have some basic questions, but have found the information very hard to come by. If anyone can help, that would be great. My wife and I are in the market for (2) project RIBS in the 7M range. Both of these boats will need to hold a COI for 14 Pax. Both will need to be documented with the USCG. We are looking at the Willard platform and the hurricane platform to build from. however we need more info so we can make a decisions of what the purchase (used).

What is the difference in the Willard 700 vs the 730? The specs sheet shows an almost identical boat. the 700 can carry more PAX, the 730 a bit faster. How can one tell the difference from pictures? I have looked at one advertised 730, but upon close inspection it was a 700 (placard had a 18 Pax certification on it). Our the hulls identical? just a difference in engine/fuel packages? Does Willard have a registry where you can look up the HIN or does anyone know how to decode the HIN? I have emailed them, but information appears to be slow coming. What year hulls should be avoided if any? Difference in tubes over the years? I guess simply stated, what would be the best year hull to build a tour boat off of?

I ask all these same questions on the hurricane 733. I have read that the construction is a bit more unreliable.

Any feed back would be great. We are planning on doing a tear down and rebuild with the USCG for the COI. We are obviously in the market, so please let me know if you have anything to sell as well. Also, would be interested in a 9M or 11M RIB for the right price. We are looking for projects. Fiberglass hulls only.

Have a great rest of your weekend.

RB.
Old 24 December 2019, 19:06   #2
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
My Willard 730 didn't even have an HIN since it was military surplus. I always had success calling and talking to someone in engineering at Willard (I think I called 2x about vendors for sub-parts).

(I'm no help on the other questions)
Old 27 December 2019, 12:39   #3

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
700 and 730 I believe are the same thing. Northport is the same as well. Otech is very similar up top but has a very different hull design(scalloped and 6" wider- so theoretically should be a bit faster)

Ribcraft are producing some of the newest ones currently and look very similar to willard as well.

All of them have a little bit different shaped console, different accessories etc. Small differences. Otech has a molded in bow locker. Willard usually has a big freeman hatch in the deck, otech doesnt etc etc.

All of them I've ever seen are rated for 18 pax. Maybe on willards website they have something new like that outboard 730 or whatever, but all of the used surplus boats are 18 pax. Of course there will be oddball stuff here and there with a different rating..

They are all built for the same contract- Navy 7 meter rib.

For a hurricane 733- there are many more styles and layouts- io, outboard, cabins, jockeys, t tops, etc. Very similar build quality. Just make sure you get US built hulls- most hurricanes I've seen are not built in the US- but BC Canada.
Old 27 December 2019, 13:50   #4

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiekbrown View Post
Hello and merry x-mas (almost).

I am new to the form/site, but have spent some time lurking. I have some basic questions, but have found the information very hard to come by. If anyone can help, that would be great. My wife and I are in the market for (2) project RIBS in the 7M range. Both of these boats will need to hold a COI for 14 Pax. Both will need to be documented with the USCG. We are looking at the Willard platform and the hurricane platform to build from. however we need more info so we can make a decisions of what the purchase (used).

What is the difference in the Willard 700 vs the 730? The specs sheet shows an almost identical boat. the 700 can carry more PAX, the 730 a bit faster. How can one tell the difference from pictures? I have looked at one advertised 730, but upon close inspection it was a 700 (placard had a 18 Pax certification on it). Our the hulls identical? just a difference in engine/fuel packages? Does Willard have a registry where you can look up the HIN or does anyone know how to decode the HIN? I have emailed them, but information appears to be slow coming. What year hulls should be avoided if any? Difference in tubes over the years? I guess simply stated, what would be the best year hull to build a tour boat off of?

I ask all these same questions on the hurricane 733. I have read that the construction is a bit more unreliable.

Any feed back would be great. We are planning on doing a tear down and rebuild with the USCG for the COI. We are obviously in the market, so please let me know if you have anything to sell as well. Also, would be interested in a 9M or 11M RIB for the right price. We are looking for projects. Fiberglass hulls only.

Have a great rest of your weekend.

RB.

Willard and Northport buy their tubes from someone else usually Wing so they are generally polyurethane. Hurricane made all of their own tubes from Hypalon. The Hypalon used by Hurricane holds up better long term lut in the elements.
The polyurethane is durable and most seams are welded but over time will require rebounding of any glued items such as rubrail, d rings and such.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote