Old 10 December 2007, 18:52   #1

Town: saint pauls bay
Boat name: destroyer
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70 tldi tohatsu
destroyer or ocean pro

hi guys i am new here .great to find this forum. and i to everyone.
i am planing on buying either an ocean pro humber or a destroyer but i dont know very much about them other than they are very robust. can someone tell me the diference bettween the 2 i will be running the boat with a 70 tohatsu tldi engine.
Old 10 December 2007, 22:48   #2

Town: Navan
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
I have been having the exact same argument with my self recently, do i go for the 7m Destroyer or the 6.5 ocean pro, the ocean pro seems the better option but would I be able to notice the differance. Maybe somebody has had both and may let us now the handling differences... there is a big price differance between the two..
Old 10 December 2007, 23:19   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
I run a Tohatsu 70 on my 4.85m rib its performance is great, but i'm not sure if its enough horses on a larger humber. Maybe the 90 would be better.
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2007, 08:33   #4

Boat name: "can"
Make: Joker Boat
Engine: 40hp e-tec
The world is small, isn't it John? Its nice to see you here as well!

I think you have to think your heavy weathers around the island! Staying in the middle of the storm underpowered won't be nice at all..
Old 11 December 2007, 17:44   #5

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Hi Guys

Welcome to the forum, great to see more Humber fans!

The Ocean Pro is available in several different beams, it has multiple chines and is a very good boat in the 2.3 and 2.6 beams, the the chines run right up to the bow.

The Destroyer is a 2.28m beam and single chine which stops just short of the bow, having sold over 50 Humbers and Water Tested most of them personally, my favourite boat is the 5.5m Destroyer by far. Its dry, comfortable, easy to tow and launch, moves long well with a 75hp on the back and is great all rounder. The Destroyers are generally cheaper than the Ocean Pro.

Junior

Have you looked at the 6.3 Ocean Pro?, its better proportioned than the 6.5, the 7m Destroyer would feel very narrow at this length.

Feel free to drop me a line (numbers on our websites below) should you want to test both or want to chat about them.

Jono (Simply a Destroyer Fan) Garton

Pic 1 - 6.5 Destroyer
Pic 2 - 6m Destroyer
Pic 3 - 5.5m Seating for 5
Pic 4 - 5.5m Seating for 2
Pic 5 - 6.3m Ocean Pro & 8m Ocean pro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.5 (2) (Small).JPG
Views:	1812
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	31769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Humber 6m Exec Protype (1).JPG
Views:	1011
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	31770   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.5 Destroyer top spec.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	31771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jonos 5.5 (2).JPG
Views:	617
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	31772  
Old 11 December 2007, 19:06   #6

Hey memo hows it goin !! great seeing you here. at first i thought it was a big cohinedance but when you think about it it isnt both being spearfisherman and free divers.ribs sort of go with the territory
Thank you for your help guys especially Jono Garton
i will defanatly be getting a rib 5 to 5.3 meters. but i am still not sure if i should get a assault, destroyer, or ocean pro, would the fuel consumption with the ocean pro or destoyer be very much more than with the aussult . most of my friend are telling me to go for the destroyer. but i am taking everything into consideration. will an ocean pro or destroy need very much more power than the aussult to plan.
Old 11 December 2007, 22:05   #7

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
Ocean-Pro or Destroyer

Hi
Having owned a 6.3m Ocean Pro (2.34m width) and run powerboat courses on it, a 5.5m Ocean Pro and a 5.5m Destroyer I would always go for the 6.3m Ocean Pro. It is ,in my opinion, the best heavy weather sea boat and rides extremly dry because of the reverse chine. However, Jono is much more experienced on Humbers so I guess it is up to you!!!
Old 11 December 2007, 22:39   #8

Town: Navan
Make: Humber
I traveled over to the Humber factory and had the grand tour in october I have quotes for the 6.3m, 6.5m ocean pro and the 6.5 ,7m destroyer at this stage all with either 200hp 2 stokes or 175 four strokes and can't decide on that one either ( the plot thickens ). I had a good look at all of them but I liked the lenght the 6.5m des or ocean pro. I have decided to go for the extreme jockey console with 2 double slim jockeys behind.
My question is what will I actually get for the extra cost of the ocean pro and is there any real noticable handling differances between the two , do I really need to spend the extra money for more chines and a wider beam or will a 6.5 destroyer do....
Old 12 December 2007, 08:15   #9

Town: Staffs
Make: Yam FX160 HO
Length: 3m +
Engine: Flippin Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltaspearo View Post
Hey memo hows it goin !! great seeing you here. at first i thought it was a big cohinedance but when you think about it it isnt both being spearfisherman and free divers.ribs sort of go with the territory
Thank you for your help guys especially Jono Garton
i will defanatly be getting a rib 5 to 5.3 meters. but i am still not sure if i should get a assault, destroyer, or ocean pro, would the fuel consumption with the ocean pro or destoyer be very much more than with the aussult . most of my friend are telling me to go for the destroyer. but i am taking everything into consideration. will an ocean pro or destroy need very much more power than the aussult to plan.
I test trialled the assault with top banana and jono and found it to be very twitchy in relatively calm conditions, therefore went for the destroyer.
Old 12 December 2007, 09:36   #10

Town: West of Scotland
Engine: 100
destroyer/ ocean pro

I've worked with both, and found both to be very good, I think each has its merits. I'd got the same view on the assault as already posted.
I've just gone for a 5.8 destroyer, probably on cost if I thought about it, maybe,
my choice now is whether to go for the single jockey deluxe/extreme, with two side by side slim twin jockeys behind, or to have a dual console with seating for 4 added- hmmmmm, any views greatly recieved
Old 12 December 2007, 10:33   #11

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
I liked the 6.3 metre Ocean Pro a lot when I spent a week on Skye earlier this year. It's a very roomy boat, the extra beam is great. It felt a lot bigger than the 5.5 metre Delta I'm used to.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2007, 12:33   #12

Boat name: "can"
Make: Joker Boat
Engine: 40hp e-tec
I know big boats handle better and much more comfortable in high seas but john tell me one thing. How many people are there going to be in each dive trip? I know several Greek divers who has 9m ribs and also a 4.5m for diving! If you are going to spend your dive time solo and if you plan to make a lot of towing alone i think you should also give a chance to smaller alternatives.
Old 12 December 2007, 20:23   #13

yes i totaly agree with what you are saying memo. a small boat will be alot easyer to deal with especialy if i am going to be diving on my own. although i do alot of diving on my own. i might just have to consider diving with a buddy more often . considering the dangers in our sport it would be the wiser thing to do. and the helping hand with the boat and splitting fuel costs would be great. thats the way we do it here when it 2 or three guys on a boat we split the fuel cost equally. if i do get a larger boat it will be a maximum of 5.3 metres. sine i do some scuba diving once in a while i have to take into account the extra space i will have in a slightly larger boat. that will be great for cylindrs and stage bottles and all that crap ill have to load on the boat. but i guess iw will have to take getting a smaller boat into consideration. it would be the best option if i was going to use my boat for freediving only.5 meters isnt that big it shouldent be that much of a problem to handle on my own. the boat i have no is a 4.5 meter and i handle it with no problem by myself. anyway ell see in the future.
Old 12 December 2007, 20:26   #14

yes i totaly agree with what you are saying memo. a small boat will be alot easyer to deal with especialy if i am going to be diving on my own. although i do alot of diving on my own. i might just have to consider diving with a buddy more often . considering the dangers in our sport it would be the wiser thing to do. and the helping hand with the boat and splitting fuel costs would be great. thats the way we do it here when it 2 or three guys on a boat we split the fuel cost equally. if i do get a larger boat it will be a maximum of 5.3 metres. sine i do some scuba diving once in a while i have to take into account the extra space i will have in a slightly larger boat. that will be great for cylindrs and stage bottles and all that crap ill have to load on the boat. but i guess iw will have to take getting a smaller boat into consideration. it would be the best option if i was going to use my boat for freediving only.5 meters isnt that big it shouldent be that much of a problem to handle on my own. the boat i have no is a 4.5 meter and i handle it with no problem by myself. anyway ill see in the future. thanks guys