Old 04 June 2008, 16:48   #21

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by montu View Post
hello Stephen L,does your boat ever lean to one side under power,i dont mean if you are heading towards say an object then when you add power you go offline,i mean one tube in the water and the other one towards the sky so the deck is on an angle as if there were half a dozen people sitting on one side of the boat?
Nothing you would notice - you can go from low speed to flat out without having to touch the wheel and it doesn't take off in one direction or anything and certainly nothing like you are describing. I must admit I have not tried high speed with the engine trimmed right in so I couldn't say how it behaves if deliberately trimmed wrong but it is certainly fine when using it normally.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2008, 17:52   #22

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
....I must admit I have not tried high speed with the engine trimmed right in so I couldn't say how it behaves ...
If you do try it, don't turn sharply.

Old 04 June 2008, 21:59   #23

Town: gateshead
Boat name: rubber duck
Make: humber
Engine: mercury 115 opti 08
thanks for your time and comments everyone,went out tonight with two mates and i obviously have just not had the engine trimmed up enough because it has felt like a different boat tonight,it has'nt leant at all even at full whach,well it did once but engine was in ,once trimmed out it went instantly and the steering is nice and light in both directions so have been throwing into left and right corners instead of just right ones.Trim seems to be happy in between the 20.0-25.0 mark showing on the smart craft gauge. Thanks!
Old 04 June 2008, 23:22   #24

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post

Not sure about the wisdom of using hydraulics to overcome the results of bad trim, I'd have thought it wouls put enormous strain on the engine tiller (or whatever)
Hydraulic steering still needs the trim adjusted. if the trim is off you end up just turning the wheel very slowly in one direction all the time to stay in a straight line.
Can't say I have ever noticed leaning to one side to any marked degree, even with a 150 lump on the back of a 5.8m Destroyer.
Old 04 June 2008, 23:42   #25

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I find that when I'm trimmed fully up for full speed runs my steering pulls, but this is normal for my set-up. When I'm cruising at normal trim levels it's fine. This is quite normal in a single engine installation my opinion.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2008, 11:44   #26

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
If you do try it, don't turn sharply.

I couldn't if I wanted to - I do know that the steering is nearly impossible to turn under power when the engine is trimmed right in!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote