Old 26 September 2010, 22:39   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Delta 5.5

Just bought a Delta 5.5, the Delta website is showing the Rib as rated as upto 130hp for a 2010 boat, the one I have bought is 1998 does anyone know what this would be rated to? There is no engine on the boat currently as previous owner transferring that to his new boat. I have provisionally got a Suzuki 2 stroke long shaft lined up for it that has a very good history but no sure if this would be too much.
Old 27 September 2010, 08:21   #2
DJS

Boat name: *
Make: replacement soon!
Delta 5.5

Hi there

I have an older mid 90s Delta 5.5 and the maximum rating on the manufactures plate is 140hp. When I was looking for mine I did see one or two with cracks across the deck about 6 inches in from the transom and another with a spongy deck, of course this is repairable but worth bearing in mind when repowering an older boat.

All the best with the Delta and any pics would be great!
Old 27 September 2010, 09:17   #3
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
Hi there

I have an older mid 90s Delta 5.5 and the maximum rating on the manufactures plate is 140hp. When I was looking for mine I did see one or two with cracks across the deck about 6 inches in from the transom and another with a spongy deck, of course this is repairable but worth bearing in mind when repowering an older boat.

All the best with the Delta and any pics would be great!
The one I have potentially bought is in Cornwall so quite a treck to collect, but had quite a few chats with the chap and according to him it's all ok. But will find out when I collect it and whether or not it all matches up to his description otherwise I will be returning without it and my cash.
Old 27 September 2010, 12:05   #4

Make: ribcraft 7.85
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 yam
i know of 3 different delta 5.5 around here, one with a 90 hp 2 stroke, one with a yamaha 4 stroke 115 and the other has suzuki 130 2 stroke, i think the one the 90hp is perfect on them ,the other 2 are bit heavy on the back, may need to add weights up front like they did
Old 27 September 2010, 13:01   #5
DJS

Boat name: *
Make: replacement soon!
Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribdraft View Post
i know of 3 different delta 5.5 around here, one with a 90 hp 2 stroke, one with a yamaha 4 stroke 115 and the other has suzuki 130 2 stroke, i think the one the 90hp is perfect on them ,the other 2 are bit heavy on the back, may need to add weights up front like they did
Hi There

I would tend to agree with ribdraft on this and while I have no experience of running with a heavier engine I can say that I have a 90hp 2 stroke on mine and it does run nice and very economical. In addition they do tend to raise the bow quiet a bit if they are stern heavy not to mention the low transom! However, as with any rib weight distribution is key; but I would be loathed to add additional ballast weight. Finally when set up properly it is surprising how well the Delta copes with the rough stuff for its size.

On a more cautionary note there are one or two Delta's for sale at present and I would advise folk to carefully check the age as I know one of them is 10years older than advertised and needs a lot of work!!

Cheers!
Old 27 September 2010, 22:38   #6

Town: East coast
Boat name: Expensive
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130hp
Hi

Just about to put my 5.5 up for sale. Attached is picture. We have a Yammy 4 stroke 80hp. Fuel economy is great. Knew the boat when it had a mariner 115hp 2 stroke (too much power). Would recommend a 90 or 100 hp. Did have problems getting on the plane. But have sorted that by adding the hydrofoils.

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fanta_profile2.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	54523  
Old 27 September 2010, 23:56   #7

Make: ribcraft 7.85
Engine: 250 yam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog View Post
Hi

Just about to put my 5.5 up for sale. Attached is picture. We have a Yammy 4 stroke 80hp. Fuel economy is great. Knew the boat when it had a mariner 115hp 2 stroke (too much power). Would recommend a 90 or 100 hp. Did have problems getting on the plane. But have sorted that by adding the hydrofoils.

G
thats a nice set up, there great rib for there size,is that double console too? how much you lookin for?
Old 28 September 2010, 15:57   #8

Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x610hp jets
delta

i had a 1992 delta 5.5 with a suzuki 140hp on it used to carry 5 divers and kit and had no problems with transom cracking or anything good having the extra power for the weight of divers and there stuff but if i was using it for cruising a nice 100hp 4stroke would be plenty,
Old 30 September 2010, 20:19   #9
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Early ones had some pretty big engines on.

The one below had a 225 Suzuki on the back.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25022006.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	54596  
Old 01 October 2010, 21:12   #10

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Early ones had some pretty big engines on.

The one below had a 225 Suzuki on the back.

Chris
cos they mostly were stuffed with divers, lead weights and tanks.
Now most ribs have flexi teek and comfy seats
Old 01 October 2010, 21:51   #11
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
Now most ribs have flexi teek and comfy seats
There's no flexi teak going in mine, it's being collected for me on Monday and then the stripping out can begin.

The consul in the rib now has seen better days. I have a new consul and jockey going in it. Need to source an A-Frame, something suitable enough to tow a wakeboard too so will need to be secured to the deck as well as the transom.

Also going to be looking for a better trailer as the one now doesn't have any brakes and is a tad small for it.

The tubes have just had new valves recently fitted all round so hopefully the tubes will be ok. On the whole though the rest of the Rib is in good condition.

Will post pics as I go.