Old 02 May 2008, 06:15   #1

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 150
deflating tubes.

Does anyone know a quick fix for deflating tubes, i think it's mostly escaping through the seams? as the boat is probably not worth re-tubing.

thanx

phil
Old 02 May 2008, 08:35   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I've used a liquid sealant before (latex-base) on an old Zodiac MkII GT. Basically you pour contents into air chambers then inflate. Then you have to rotate the boat to disperse the liquid and coat the inside of the sponsons. Obviously this will only work on a SIB, unless you have a RIB with detatchable sponsons.

I've forgotten the name of the product - but it worked for me. Will stop minor air leaks, but if the seams have gone - you will need to repair properly or buy a new boat.
Old 02 May 2008, 08:45   #3

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Best thing to do is find out where it is leaking. Mix up a dilute solutions of washing up liquid in water and brush/spray over the tubes then look for bubbles. It may just be the valves that are leaking in which case they can be replaced. Similarly it may be one or two discrete leaks - in which case they can be patched (Paul Tilley who posts on here will do a good job for you). If all the seams are leaking then you may have a more difficult choice.

Regards

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2008, 09:07   #4

Town: River Hamble
Our internal sealant is good stuff but it's primary use is for dinghies that you can role around so the inside gets an even coat.

http://www.rib-shop.com/prodtype.asp...ageHistory=cat
Old 15 April 2010, 00:03   #5

Town: LONDON
Boat name: SABRE
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Inboard/Petrol 50hp
Just another question please,

I have a ribeye rib 330 with slow leaks that i cannot find with soapy water, perhaps it is the valves wich i would tighten if i can find a tool to tighten them up with, but i am also thinking of coating the inside with seam sealant, i was going to lift the rib on a crane we have in the boat yard and turn it about left to right, back and forth and upside down.

Please does anyone know of a good internal rib tube sealant that i can buy in ther london area.

I would buy from the internet but the b*****d banks wont let me have a bank account so cant order online. So i will have to find a shop and use cash.

Thanks.
Old 16 April 2010, 17:42   #6
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
Just another question please,

I have a ribeye rib 330 with slow leaks that i cannot find with soapy water, perhaps it is the valves wich i would tighten if i can find a tool to tighten them up with, but i am also thinking of coating the inside with seam sealant, i was going to lift the rib on a crane we have in the boat yard and turn it about left to right, back and forth and upside down.

Please does anyone know of a good internal rib tube sealant that i can buy in ther london area.

I would buy from the internet but the b*****d banks wont let me have a bank account so cant order online. So i will have to find a shop and use cash.

Thanks.
Pre-paid credit cards will solve your problem.....