Click Here to Login

Old 27 May 2023, 17:07   #1

Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
Deck or console recessed ‘pole pocket’

Hi,

Looking for some inspiration/ideas from the collective.

I’m planning a sun canopy for my rib. A temporary mount that I can pack away and only intended for sun protection when sat at a mooring/anchor.

Theory (!) is to tie the rear of the canopy to the top of my A-frame, use 2 x small diameter (10mm) collapsible poles (think tent pole), one on port and one on starboard side of rib towards front of boat to lift the front section of the canopy, with a port and starboard guy line at the front tied off to fixing points at the bow.

Have found an assortment of poles that could be suitable, but want to try and integrate the pole mounting somehow into the boat. Could be a simple pole ‘pocket’ either mounted in the deck or preferably mounted into the console somewhere.

All reasonably lightweight, so the ‘pocket’ doesn’t need to be particularly deep.

Looked at some kayak fishing rod holders which might do the job but the ID probably slightly large. Other option might be to purchase some pre made grp or carbon tube and set that into the console, or fabricate a bespoke fibreglass pocket to fit the pole.

Hope that makes some sense! Ideas welcome
Old 27 May 2023, 19:43   #2

Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
Admin, can you delete this post please, I don’t appear to have an edit function.