Old 16 March 2018, 17:47   #1

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jazcabel
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Petrol 150
Deck Drains

Hi all,

I’m in the middle of a complete refurb on my 7m ballistic. I’ve ripped up the floor and taken out the internal tank and will. D replacing it with a smaller one in the console. (Pros and cons I know)

I’ve also replaced the rear jockeys with a new bench I’ve made out of marine ply and I’m in the process of glassing it. The new bench is quite wide and there’s not a lot of room either side of the bench to clear the deck of water.

Whilst I’ve still got the deck up, I’m thinking about putting in two deck drains that will drain under the deck into the bilge.

Has anyone done this and is it acceptable??

Both drains go into a y piece and then into the bilge drain. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	123822Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	123823
Old 17 March 2018, 07:11   #2

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
my valiant v570 drains through a grille into the underfloor bilge where there is an auto bilge pump also has a bung right at bottom of the transom .similar set up to a fletcher speed boat I had
Old 17 March 2018, 18:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
my valiant v570 drains through a grille into the underfloor bilge where there is an auto bilge pump also has a bung right at bottom of the transom .similar set up to a fletcher speed boat I had
Thanks Beerbelly. Rather than put an auto bilge under the deck, the plan is to run two pipes into a y piece under the deck and then out into the transom well to be pumped out by my twin bilge pumps.

Glad to see that some people have done the same kind of thing rather than just me doing a one off.
Old 25 March 2018, 20:33   #4

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Hi, does your 7.2m not already have 3 under deck drain holes into the bilge already to ensure water under the deck gets to the bilge.

I have the same boat and never seem to get much water underdeck and surface water seems to run on top to the bilge ok when in motion. Why do you want to divert under deck instead of just letting it run on the top to the bilge?

Previous owner had trunks fitted through the transom that would clear any serious on deck water. So that might be another option. Depends on what your concerns are.
Old 25 March 2018, 20:41   #5

Ah, just seen the photo, see your problem, that bench is full width. I cant quite see but does the bench sit in front of the bilge still, so you can still get to your bilge pump from the outside of the bench?
Old 26 March 2018, 07:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb100 View Post
Hi, does your 7.2m not already have 3 under deck drain holes into the bilge already to ensure water under the deck gets to the bilge.

I have the same boat and never seem to get much water underdeck and surface water seems to run on top to the bilge ok when in motion. Why do you want to divert under deck instead of just letting it run on the top to the bilge?

Previous owner had trunks fitted through the transom that would clear any serious on deck water. So that might be another option. Depends on what your concerns are.

I’ve removed the rear jockeys and replaced them with a rear bench. The bench fits snuggly against the uprights by the side of the transom so there is very little room either side of the bench to drain water off the deck into the bilge.

Also when I took the deck up to remove the tank I’ve found that where the tank sat was a closed cell. No drain pipe through to the bilge. Looks like it was closed off with resin and mastic.

I’ve placed in two new drain plugs so that any new water that gets under the deck will now drain into the bilge, but I’ve still got to work out how to get surface water off the deck. As the space was really big, I’ve also glasses in a new stringer as well.

So I think the best way is to place in the deck two scuppers that join into a pipe under the deck and then empty out into he bilge area.

Hope that makes sense. It’s not about clearing water under the deck so much, more about clearing surface water off the deck.
Old 26 March 2018, 22:39   #7

Yep makes sense. Don't think you have any other options as have to get drainage to the bilge under deck or through/under the bench seat, but if the bench is done that's out I guess. Good luck.

When do you reckon you'll get in in the water?
Old 26 March 2018, 22:41   #8

Ps I hate under deck joints, why not run both separate