Old 18 September 2006, 11:17   #21

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
It seems the chance of a proper repair is pretty small.

Reply from Humber this morning to my enquiry about getting orange gelcoat repair:

"Unfortunately due to flammability content we are not permitted to send this type of product in the post without a special movement certificate to accompany it. The last time we looked into this it was in excess of £200 regardless of quantity!"

I guess I can forget about getting any shipped here then. I've asked them what they recommend for repairing it given I don't exactly live within collection distance of the factory.

Note to self: next time buy an aluminium boat. With no tubes on it

Ho hum. Oh and somebody reversed in to the front of my 90 over the weekend. I think I'll stay in bed for the rest of September
Old 18 September 2006, 13:10   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Humber may not be able to post it to you but I doubt an individual would have to be so particular......
Old 18 September 2006, 15:06   #23

It sounds like they won't even post it within the UK though!

White gelcoat repair is available from lots of places on the web (not sure what their carriage arrangements are maybe "ask no questions and you'll hear no lies"!!) but any other colour seems to be like rocking horse poo. I am going to get my father to go to a chandlery in UK and have a look, he's back over there in a week or so, and he might do an "oops I didn't read the label officer" posting

I see why most of the boats I have been admiring on the RIBnet videos have a white hull, it might be a bugger to keep clean but it is easy to fix
Old 18 September 2006, 15:25   #24

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Steven

Google to "gelcoat tint" and you will find you can purchase kit/tubes of tint to mix with white. You sure are making hard work out of a simple repair job. westmarine.com have several in their catalog including a " large repair kit" for $30.00 Their shipping rates from the US are very good. May I also suggest you order their catalog at the same time. tel # is 1-800-262-8464.
Old 18 September 2006, 20:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
Steven

Google to "gelcoat tint" and you will find you can purchase kit/tubes of tint to mix with white. You sure are making hard work out of a simple repair job. westmarine.com have several in their catalog including a " large repair kit" for $30.00 Their shipping rates from the US are very good. May I also suggest you order their catalog at the same time. tel # is 1-800-262-8464.
Thanks for the suggestion but you've obviously never tried shipping stuff from the US to the Falklands its hard enough getting things here from the UK..... if it has a hazardous label on the difficulty factor goes up 10x because there is NO air freight service and the two regular passenger flights are tetchy about carrying anything even slightly flammable, even paint is a no-no (I nearly got thrown off a flight once for carrying a can of Land Rover touch-up paint for somebody and one of my jobs is importing all sorts of automotive stuff so I know what a pain in the butt it is)

It's best described like this. Assume you were living in Antarctica and you needed a pint of fresh milk. You look around for a cow. You see .... no cows. Milking penguins is not very fruitful. The nearest cow is over a thousand miles away, and you have no way of getting to it. The only boat refuses to carry perishable produce. Similar sort of circumstances....
Old 19 September 2006, 08:31   #26

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Hmm, then nip over to the nearest REME Aviation Workshop and ask for a battle damage GRP repair kit. Take yellow hand bag (crate of Herfie) along in exchange.

Pete
Old 25 September 2006, 20:46   #27

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Or, alternatively, just cover the damage with epoxy, and sand smooth.

jky
Old 25 September 2006, 21:08   #28

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Hmm, then nip over to the nearest REME Aviation Workshop and ask for a battle damage GRP repair kit. Take yellow hand bag (crate of Herfie) along in exchange.

Pete
did you effect some battle damage repairs then? i seem to remember a little job with a herc that had lost half a wing down there on a seaking, nasty business