Old 18 October 2020, 12:21   #1

Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
Cutting additional access

Had a problem with my rib, the fuel vent hose had perished and come off the tank connection. I’ve made a temp repair while I order some replacement hose, but access is really difficult.

See pick below, the tank is under the console so I’m thinking of adding a further access panel in the gap between the existing cable/hose access points.

Can anyone see any major problems with cutting another hole and can you recommend/guide me to a suitable grommet to fit once the hole is cut

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0951.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	135432
Old 18 October 2020, 14:03   #2

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Can’t see any problem. If the breather can come up through existing holes a watertight hatch might be a better idea.

Check what is below it before drilling, if you are drilling through solid grp then no need to finish edges, if there is a foam core then it is advisable to seal edges with resin ideally. If it a a grp/timber sandwich then you will definitely need to waterproof. Just sealing edges isn’t always sufficient, I prefer to remove some of the core 2-5mm so no edges are seen (wood or foam) then mix up resin with a filling product such as cabosil and squish it into small cavity made. Ready made fillers are also available.

If you want a grommet, google witches hat.
Old 18 October 2020, 18:36   #3

Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
Thanks. the breather comes up through the existing grommets, so this is just to create some better access. Looks like a 4” access hatch would do the trick.

Looks like its timber core, good tip regarding ‘sealing’ the timber, i can do all three apertures while its in bits.

Need to look for some decent fuel hose now.
Old 19 October 2020, 06:29   #4

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Some of the circular hatches where the access bit screws in are very good and seem to seal well. If you use these you obviously cut the hole with a hole saw of the correct diameter
Old 19 October 2020, 11:54   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
Some of the circular hatches where the access bit screws in are very good and seem to seal well. If you use these you obviously cut the hole with a hole saw of the correct diameter

I don’t think he was asking about sealing hatches, he is rightly concerned about moisture inevitably getting into the wood. Convention is to seal wood by liberally painting with epoxy so that it soaks into grain. If you wanted to go further than this then sikaflex or flowcoat over that.
Old 19 October 2020, 17:11   #6

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I don’t think he was asking about sealing hatches, he is rightly concerned about moisture inevitably getting into the wood. Convention is to seal wood by liberally painting with epoxy so that it soaks into grain. If you wanted to go further than this then sikaflex or flowcoat over that.
Perhaps he was blind sided by the thoughts of having to spend money on both a hatch and a hole saw. I can however see where the confusion arose.

+1 on painting it with epoxy. If you are really keen and enthusiastic you can fill around the edge to get rid of any little holes / gaps that might lead to water ingress. Last but not least, if it is subject to being in the sun, then paint over the epoxy to stop it degrading in the sun.