Old 30 November 2021, 21:02   #1

Town: Haiku
Boat name: Paikea
Make: Hercules
Length: 10m +
Engine: I/O 383
cutting 4'-0" out of new sponson

Aloha;

I'm building a new RIB, and ordered the collar 40' and later decided to build the boat 35' long. As such, I need to remove one section (4') from my brand new Henshaw Inflatables collar, reglue it and install on my aluminum hull.
I've gotten the POLY MARINE, 2-Part Hypalon Inflatable Boat Adhesive, and I fully understand how to disassemble the seam with a heat gun. Where I get concerned is the process of regluing the whole assembly. Is there anyone in Hawaii that has done this sort of work before that I could hire, or advice/ suggestions are always appreciated.

Mahalo,
Mikal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4041.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	139366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3996.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	139367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4064.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	139368  
Old 02 December 2021, 16:42   #2

Make: AB
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard, 40hp
Sorry can't help with the question but that's one heck of a build. Looks awesome! Would like to see progress pictures as you go along.

Have you tried calling retail places that sell inflatables in the area to see who they recommend for boat repairs?
Old 03 December 2021, 19:39   #3

Town: Nijmegen
Boat name: Scary Canary
Make: home-built
Length: 6m +
RIBase
I have the exact same job coming up this weekend. Am an amateur with tubes, so follow guidance at your own risk.

On my tubes there was a section glued directly adjacent to a baffle. I removed the section aft of the baffle.
That part is shortened to the desired length. After preparing the bonding areas I want to inflate the tube, to get proper shape. . The "new" section can't be inflated so I want to fold back the glue area and support it with a ring of plastic underneath to get a somewhat manageable round shape.
Align the sections, apply fresh glue, and once ready fold the new section back to normal. More like a rolling motion.

Deflate and suck all air out hoping that the baffle folds inwards, away from the bonding area, apply pressure for bonding, and partially reinflate to prevent unwanted bonds inside.
Say a prayer, wait three days, slowly inflate.

Another option is to do this on a table, with deflated tubes. I'm just not sure if it is possible to align the tubes perfectly twhen doing this o prevent wrinckles. My tubes were build military spec, with an extra inlay on the inside so a bit of leeway there.

If you have a better idea I'd love to hear it!
Old 03 December 2021, 21:05   #4

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I love this place, I thought I was adventurous.
Old 05 December 2021, 09:39   #5

Town: Nijmegen
Boat name: Scary Canary
Make: home-built
Length: 6m +
RIBase
new plan.

Just tried my own plan (see above). Didn't work out.

Dry tested another approach, which worked reasonably well. Inflate tube partially. Overlay the shortened part of the tube about 10 cm, fold back 4 cm. Mark all areas to be prepared for glue.
Deflate, sand + prepare surface. Apply first layer of glue. Let dry at least 3 days.
Partially inflate tube, overlay the tubes, 2nd glue layer, inflate as far as needed to remove wrinckles. (which is high pressure).
Fold back the glued overlayed tube. Deflate, apply pressure for bonding.

The only bit that worries me with this procedure is the strength of the initial glue film to the fabric. The tube will slide a bit, and if the glue slides with it it might cause an air leak.
Will apply a 6 cm wide seam anyway.

Interesting, but frustrating work.

(If you feel that I'm hijacking your thread, let me know)