Old 14 October 2004, 14:53   #21

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Just spoke to the helpful staff at Colin Curtis.

"Inland and coastal waters of the United Kingdom including Eire and extended to include Continental Waters Brest to the River Elbe" means that we're covered for cross channel trips.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2004, 15:05   #22
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Phew!
Done lots of trips across "the bits in between". Glad to know in retrospect that I was insured!
Just read another couple of bits (I have the same policy as you Louise/Richard).
1. Not covered for single handed after dark (Oh dear. Better keep quiet about that then).
2. If your leg/skeg/prop hits something -you are covered. Good news right?
3. If you need to abondon your boat for any reason (discrete cough(Bay du Seine)) you are covered.
4. If you are normally based in a marina, you dont lose your "no claims" and the policy excess" doesnt apply=more good news.

Insurance rates seem to be about 1 per mille right?
Old 14 October 2004, 15:07   #23

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Brian - knew all your points apart from the first one. Where did you find that? I went through all the documents with a fine tooth comb but don't remember that one!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2004, 15:17   #24

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Let me put this another way. A lot of you are insured by the same company that insured Spirit and they will not pay out because of the "Coastal Rule" resulting in a 100% loss.

So again, if you are going offshore and want to be 100% sure you are covered, get it in writing. The word of the broker over the telephone is NOT good enough.Alan P
Old 14 October 2004, 15:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
A lot of you are insured by the same company that insured Spirit
Which was which one?
Quote:
..and they will not pay out because of the "Coastal Rule" resulting in a 100% loss.
Obviously the "coastal rule" wouldn't cover you - surely you didn't expect it to? It just covers you for up to 12 miles off shore, and IIRC you were over 100 miles away from your port of departure, and an unspecified distance from the Scottish Islands at the time of the loss. What was the defined cruising area for your policy?
Old 14 October 2004, 16:32   #26

The same as yours. International geograpical limits specified on all insurance cover are the same and do not specify a set distance from where you started from. As it happens, although I was 230 miles from the tip of the Outer Islands we where on a great circle route to Iceland which took us close to Rockall, and your companies geograpical limits. What I am interested in is that your insurance company says you are covered for the declared lats and longs that you have given, when mine (and others) does not. I am sure that they are both reputable companies BUT I will say it again. Get it in Writing that you are covered for where you go. If you choose not to then it is your choice. Personaly the next time I insure a boat I will write the policy myself and get it underwritten privately that way I will know I am covered. This way I will not be kissing my A~se goodbye if something goes wrong.Alan P
Old 14 October 2004, 16:35   #27

Alan, our cruising range is stated in writing on our policy document. It is as I quoted above!
Old 14 October 2004, 17:13   #28

Quote:
The same as yours.
You mean the same company, Haven Knox-Johnston?
Quote:
International geograpical limits specified on all insurance cover are the same
Err, I doubt that... If you only have "Inland and coastal waters of the United Kingdom including Eire" then it's obviously much more limiting than "Inland and coastal waters of the United Kingdom including Eire and extended to include Continental Waters Brest to the River Elbe" which wouldn't, by even the greatest stretch of anyone's imagination, cover you for a trip to Newfoundland via Iceland and Greenland.
Quote:
...and do not specify a set distance from where you started from.
I never said they did... I was just illustrating how far offshore you were at the time of loss. You could be a bit more illuminating if you like and give us the lat and long as you've always been a bit vague about this.
Quote:
As it happens, although I was 230 miles from the tip of the Outer Islands we where on a great circle route to Iceland which took us close to Rockall, and your companies geograpical limits.
I doubt very much that your position was within the geographical limit of our policy!
Quote:
What I am interested in is that your insurance company says you are covered for the declared lats and longs that you have given, when mine (and others) does not.
Well in that case the lesson is one for you to learn, Alan. As I said earlier, we read the small print. Given the value of your boat, I'm quite amazed that you didn't.
Quote:
I am sure that they are both reputable companies
AFAIK Haven Knox-Johnston are a market leader in marine insurance.
Quote:
BUT I will say it again. Get it in Writing that you are covered for where you go.
Certainly seems sensible to me.
Quote:
Personaly the next time I insure a boat I will write the policy myself and get it underwritten privately that way I will know I am covered. This way I will not be kissing my A~se goodbye if something goes wrong.Alan P
Please let us know how you get along, and how much your premium is... I'm off to PM Steve Knipe - perhaps he can clarify some of the cruising areas.
Old 14 October 2004, 18:12   #29
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
If I could lighten this up a bit.........................

Quote: Brian "1. Not covered for single handed after dark "
Quote: Louise "Brian-knew all your points apart from the first one. Where did you find that? I went through all the documents with a fine tooth comb but don't remember that one!"

Lousie It's only relatively recently they let me out at all, let alone going out on my own at night! PS Please excuse the crayon, only they dont let me have anything sharp in here.
Old 14 October 2004, 19:03   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
If I could lighten this up a bit....
Old 15 October 2004, 07:59   #31

Richard, I wish I was as clever as you and knew what was going to happen before it happened! What ever, you know best! Perhaps you might like to sit down with me in a quite corner and exchange your worldly maritime experiences over the weekend when we meet? Might be worth mentioning at this point that my two sons will be coming along, one of them took Spirit around Britain when he was 15. This was a long time ago. Alan P
Old 15 October 2004, 08:19   #32
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Al, you didn't really, honestly, expect that 200 miles west of the outer Hebrides would be classed as coastal did you?

We know you've done more, longer trips than anyone else -- but surely that means you're in a better position to consider possible outcomes.

What has Wayne going round Britain with you in 1999 got to do with insurance?

John
Old 15 October 2004, 08:54   #33

Town: Porthcawl
Boat name: Unnamed
Make: Gemini Zap Cat
Engine: Outboard
Richard, If you have UK & Brest to the River Elbe waters on your policy this would cover cross channel use.
UK Coastal waters only, most insurers consider 12 miles the norm but most are willing to discuss your needs should you wish to go further offshore (up to 25 Miles-depending on safety equipment and size of vessel) .
You are correct in saying that HKJ are one of the market leaders in marine insurance, we are agents of them and have found that as long as they know what your intentions are they are willing to help (in most caes).
Its really down to the policyholder to inform their broker/insurers of the intended cruising range prior to the passage, then there would be pleanty of time for the appropiate paper work to be issued showing the correct cruising range, there would be no argument if the cruising range is in black and white on policy policy schedule!.
Old 15 October 2004, 09:25   #34

Welcome to the forum, Insurance Man, and thanks for your helpful reply.
Old 15 October 2004, 10:02   #35

Town: Havant
Boat name: Mrs Chips
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
On the subject of safety equipment I have never been asked to supply detailed information to underwriters but have taken the trouble to do so anyway. This resulted in one phone call asking me what I needed it all for. The point is that it is relatively easy to obtain cover but it seems to depend on who you deal with and their understanding of your requirements so beware if you are talking to a lemon you may be sold one as well.
Old 15 October 2004, 10:10   #36

JK, nothing, just wanted to be annoying.

Insurance man. Thanks for this,it was what I was saying before others put their two penny worth in. GET IT IN WRITING. Alan P
Old 15 October 2004, 10:16   #37

Alan - sorry but I can't understand what you're on about! By 'others putting their twopennyworth in' do you mean me (and Richard)? As I see it, everyone who has responded to the thread has 'put their twopennyworth in'! That's the whole point of a forum!! Someone asks a question and other members give their ideas/opinions/knowledge.
Old 15 October 2004, 10:33   #38

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Richard, I wish I was as clever as you and knew what was going to happen before it happened!
Alan, stop being so modest, we know you are more than capable of that, remember the "Sports Boat" article that you wrote prior to your (un)successful trip to Canada!!
Old 15 October 2004, 12:02   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
everyone who has responded to the thread has 'put their twopennyworth in'! That's the whole point of a forum!! Someone asks a question and other members give their ideas/opinions/knowledge.
And when someone suggests (based on personal history) that a certain action should be taken, someone else knows better indicating the advice given is false.Look at the request for advice, and the comments given. Alan P
Old 15 October 2004, 12:04   #40

Quote:
What you need to establish is the wording " Coastal Cruising" Although your policy will say or indicate you are covered from Brest to Elbe you may find that you are only insured for up to 12 miles off of each coast in which case you are not insured in the middle!

Get it in writing that you are covered the whole journey or you could be in for a nasty shock should something go wrong. Even if you cross Lyme Bay you are potentaily "Offshore" in the middle and therefore in breach of your insurance policy.

Insurance companies are only around to take money, not give it away and if they can find a loop hole they will use it. Be warned. Alan P
Just in case you do not go back far enough!!! Alan P