Old 10 November 2005, 10:25   #1

Town: Tofte
Make: Tornado 750
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250 Suzuki
Crack in fuel tank

I have discovered a very small crack at the top/side on my aluminium fuel(gasoline)tank.

The tank is inside the console, and the console is attached to the deck with GRP so it will be a big job to change it.

It is possible to mount a hatch where the crack is.

Is it possible to fill the tank with a non exploding gaz ( nitrogene ? ) and weld it, or is that suecide ?

On my previus boat I had the tank out of the boat, flushed it with water in 6 ours, and had it filled with water during welding, and I still had a minor explotion !!!

The boat is still under warranty, but in that case I have to ship it to the UK, and be out of buisiness for some time.

Any advice of what to do ?

Regards
Roy
Old 10 November 2005, 10:37   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
If the boat in under warrentee, would you not be able to claim losses from the UK company u bought the boat off....
Old 10 November 2005, 10:40   #3

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy
I have discovered a very small crack at the top/side on my aluminium fuel(gasoline)tank.

The tank is inside the console, and the console is attached to the deck with GRP so it will be a big job to change it.

It is possible to mount a hatch where the crack is.

Is it possible to fill the tank with a non exploding gaz ( nitrogene ? ) and weld it, or is that suecide ?

On my previus boat I had the tank out of the boat, flushed it with water in 6 ours, and had it filled with water during welding, and I still had a minor explotion !!!

The boat is still under warranty, but in that case I have to ship it to the UK, and be out of buisiness for some time.

Regards
Roy
Surely epoxy and/or glass cloth would seal such a crack? Sikaflex also perhaps?
Old 10 November 2005, 10:44   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If using the water wash in future, you need to use a detergent in the water to emulsify the remains of the fuel. I've also found powder for domestic dishwashers to be excellent. The water should be hot when flushing.

However, if you do not want to involve yourself in the hassle of a proper repair, there are products for repairing leaks in petrol tanks. The one I have used, and it worked very well, is marketed in the UK as Petropatch. You may well have something similar in Norway. I have also used the epoxy putty type but after a time it came away.

A couple of points: It is difficult to get adhesion to aluminium.
If the tank has cracked in use, that area must be flexing and a repair may only be temporary.
Old 10 November 2005, 10:48   #5

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
In simple terms, Aluminium worked hardens over time and on an area that is flexing a lot this will happen quicker Equally areas close to welds or bends where the condition of the metal has been changed by heat or movement will also be harder and more prone to cracking so if there is one crack there is probably be more
Welding tanks is very difficult and I wouldn’t want to do it still fitted in the boat

Des
Old 10 November 2005, 11:30   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
In simple terms, Aluminium worked hardens over time and on an area that is flexing a lot this will happen quicker ..
Being a bit pedantic....pure aluminium hardly work hardens at all. Many of the alloys age harden substantially and then flexing takes it's toll.

Just a thought for you, Ribroy; you can anneal the aluminium alloy by applying heat. Unfortunately there is no colour change as there is when heating steel but, very fortunately, soap turns black at just the right temperature. Rub a bar of soap onto the surface at the crack and then heat it until the soap turns black. Do not continue heating it or it will turn into a gloop and collapse. Aluminium has a very short pasty stage. You'll need to flush the tank first though.
Old 10 November 2005, 11:47   #7

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Being a bit pedantic....pure aluminium hardly work hardens at all..........
No you be pedantic you are right about pure aluminium but the marine grade aluminium tends to have a bit of magnesium added to make it a bit harder and more corrosion resistant and therefore prone to cracking
I’m not sure that people working in the marine trade always apply sufficient thought to the use of the correct grade of material. For example you see carbon fibre used where it can have no benefit but hay, it looks good
Des
Old 10 November 2005, 12:32   #8

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
If the boat in under warrentee, would you not be able to claim losses from the UK company u bought the boat off....
Go on..... You're havin' a laff aren't you? Consequential losses aren't typically covered by any warranty.
Old 10 November 2005, 12:37   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
We're doing business law at the moment and some case we read came to mind. I am just lowly first year so I am probably wrong.....
Old 10 November 2005, 12:38   #10

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
You could stabilise the crack by drilling a hole at the end of it to prevent progation, the various good patching methods thus described will not be able to do this.

Aluminium can be bonded chemically in a number of circumstances aircraft are bonded. Welding aluminium is skilled and welding a tank that once contained fuel should be done after it has been steamed out for some time. More than likely the welder would also sparge the tank with the shielding gas in use so helium mix/pure or Argon mix/pure (I think?)

Bottom line is a new tank on new boat shouldnt crack it is getting stressed from somewhere. Annealing might help but could cause expansion problems. Welding does have the effect of annealing locally but either side the weld a heat affected zone is formed. This is where a failure could occurr if there is one.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2005, 12:56   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
You could always braze it using lumiweld or similar - use the soap trick and make sure you purge the tank VERY well - hot water and washing up liquid as someone else said.

I used a very botch job on an aluminium fuel tank once - sandpapered around the crack and used some solvent/thinners to remove any grease - then used plastic padding elastic car body filler - it was a central heating kerosene tank and it is still fine 15 yrs later!!! Doesn't look too pretty though!!!
Old 10 November 2005, 13:06   #12

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Ribroy, if this boat is your business then do it properly. Rip the damed thing out of the boat and chuck it in a skip, then get a proper fuel tank fitted. If its cracked once, there is a problem and patching or welding isn't going to solve it, only mask it. I wouldn't have thought more than 2 weeks work to change and then you will know that the boat is safe. Petrol leaks on a charter boat, hmm nice

It must be getting kinda cold up there now, can you not find a two week window in the charter season to carry out the work ? If you want I will come and do it for you, getting quite good at changing consoles

Pete
Old 10 November 2005, 14:58   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Have a chat with the builders / suppliers?

Quote:

Regards
Roy
I would suggest that you get in touch with the builders as soon as possible.

They may be able to offer a solution - or may even appoint local contractors to carry out repairs / replace tank on their behalf.

Tornados have a good reputation and I would have thought that the builder would stand by their product.

Probably best to talk with them rather than us!
Old 10 November 2005, 16:02   #14

Thanks a lot !

I think I go for Pete7's suggestion. I have already patched it with Plastick Padding, and as long as I dont top the tank it is no prob at all. The leak is so small that it has to be cold to locate it. If above 10 c it vaporises, before you can spot it.
I have no booking in Jan, so I put in a new tank then.

Thanks to all for your help

Ragards Roy
Old 10 November 2005, 16:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
I would suggest that you get in touch with the builders as soon as possible.

They may be able to offer a solution - or may even appoint local contractors to carry out repairs / replace tank on their behalf.

Tornados have a good reputation and I would have thought that the builder would stand by their product.

Probably best to talk with them rather than us!
Tornado wanted the boat sent to UK, but I have just talked to the Norwegian distr. and he belive they agree that it is fixed here i N.

Where i N is the new home of your boat ?

Reg.
Roy
Old 14 November 2005, 10:58   #16

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
Hi Roy

This is not the first issue with a cracking tank in a charter Tornado this year.

There is one here in Denmark too, but this crack was on the underside of the tank, and therefore had to be fixed at once.

I really don't think the boat went back to the UK, but I'm not sure.

Talk to Tornado, I think they would be keen on fixing this fast

Regards
Rene
Old 16 November 2005, 22:04   #17

I do not understant why a high quality boat like Torado still has the tank inside the console, on the deck. As far as I know, the tanks do not crack when not moving.
So, Dear Tornado, you do have a very good reputation in both Norway and Sweeden do not spoil it with tanks inside the console.
I have heared that Tornado are making an 11m rib where you can have the tank under the deck, if you are willing to pay, that is. This tank is made from the glassfiberconstruction already there, meaning they do not put any metal-tank there. Is this right, and does it work well?
Old 16 November 2005, 22:25   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Tornado wanted the boat sent to UK, but I have just talked to the Norwegian distr. and he belive they agree that it is fixed here i N.

Where i N is the new home of your boat ?

Reg.
Roy

Hi Roy,

I'm glad the builder has agreed to sort out your problems. I have just spent three days in court giving evidence against a difficult builder and neither the boat owner or the builder would say that it is a pleasant process.

Not sure where in Norway my Searider is. JBT sold the boat for me and they told me it was going to Norway.

Keep an eye out for it - it would be good to know it's gone to a good home.
Old 17 November 2005, 17:40   #19

Hi !

Not shure what will happend with the tank, still waiting an answer from the N dealer.

The crack is not from moving I think. Its a small dent i the middle of the plate 5 cm from the top, must have been some sort of external contact before the console was fitted ?

Reg.

Roy
Old 18 November 2005, 17:48   #20

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Pity about this, what a nuisance, Tornado has a good name, at least its above deck, even though its hard to get at

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote