Old 24 July 2004, 11:10   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
Cowes week advice?

General advice wanted for Cowes, whats hot and whats not, where you can park up, where you are not allowed etc etc.

We definatly want to go and see the fireworks and now the rib is going, thanks to Rouge Wave at First Wave Ribs, I'm happy to venture out. Any meets or any avice would be cool!

Andy
Old 24 July 2004, 11:29   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Hi Andy,

A few of us are hoping to meet up for the fireworks. See this thread: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5507

We're going to be around for part of the week before and would be glad to meet up - PM us your number (but don't shoot at us! ).

Hope to see you soon.
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2004, 17:06   #3

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Champagne Eyes!!!!
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
Andy

The fireworks start at 9:30pm on friday 13th August

we will be going from langstone on that day you are more then welcome to come along.

Graham
Old 24 July 2004, 17:56   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Cowes

RIB parking is around the back of the Red Jet terminal. It gets VERY crowded but is free. Best to use a long line tied to the shore.

Regarding the fireworks most years I seem to find myself on a big powerboat and have never watched them from the RIB. When not working on the boats I take the RIB to Cowes and watch from the shore. I recommend that you do not leave at the same time as everyone else just after the fireworks. The whole Solent is full of idiots in both small and large boats, many with no lights and some "may" have had a "few" beers. I normally will get into the beer enclosure and leave for Hamble at about midnight.

Have fun - I will be on the RIB this year as am only boat driving Friday during the day.

Regards

Duncan
Old 26 July 2004, 08:14   #5

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Andy
See if you can get a copy of the Sailing instructions, Yachting World or Yacths and Yachting usually publich them. These will give you the codes for the bouys and courses and start times. Listen on Ch 28 for the race instructions and count down for each class. If you want to watch the racing, stick to the bigger boats or One Design classes, they are more exciting.
Keep a VERY good lookout, racing yachts are likely to tack or jybe very quickly without notice and for reasons that will not be obvious to a spectator. Also stay clear of the start/finish line (RYS, where the canons are, to S Brambles & W Brambles bouys)
The windward mark (as far up wind as the course takes them) is usually the place for the best/closest action. Stay clear up wind of the bouy.
In a F5+ some of the bigger boats will be going faster than you can, so keep looking behind.
Take a camera.
Old 27 July 2004, 17:07   #6

Town: Swanage
Boat name: Little Blue
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Where can I buy Fuel?

I am new to RIBs but am hoping to visit the solent to watch the yacht racing during Cowes week. I dont have navigation lights so will not be able to see the fireworks.

Just how busy does it get? would a visit to the fee mooring at Cowes be a nightmare for a first time visitor? Ive been to Cowes by yacht a couple of times but not during this week.
and is there anywhere to buy 4 star fuel?

All other advice about sailing instructions and windward mark very useful thanks.
Old 27 July 2004, 17:19   #7

Town: guildford
Boat name: "the rib"
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: o petrol 90
Don't go!

Done Cowes week a few times and it's fantastic at first...but now??!

Check out Cork Week instead (next year)...that is cool.
Old 27 July 2004, 17:54   #8

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
het little blue the marine superstore at port solent sell clip on nav lights with batteries inside them,and the fuel barge past the chain ferry did sell 4 star but not sure now,you should go its an experience
Old 27 July 2004, 18:01   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
I am planning on coming along to the fireworks, going you lauch at Lee on Solent and blast across, unfortunatly I will only be in a 3.6 Avon Sea Sport, so shouls be a bit lively. I will follow this thread down to see where people are meeting up and hopefully see some fellow Ribnetters and put a face to people
Old 27 July 2004, 20:46   #10

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbait
Check out Cork Week instead (next year)...that is cool.
You might be a bit disapointed next year. Cork Week is every other year, so the next is in 2006. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.