Click Here to Login

Old 13 July 2006, 21:11   #1

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Hawk
Make: Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x 250 Yamahas
Cowes Powerboat Festival-Marshalls

I am involved in organising the Marshalling for the above event. If you are an experienced Ribster and you think you would be up for this(6m+) then I would like to hear from you.

Up to 90 boats will be Racing including the two Honda Classes, 225 and 150 and P1

Event is Fri/Sat/Sun August Bank holiday.(25th 26th 27th) No pay or fuel(sorry, but that is normal) but berthing in Cowes and a party on the Saturday night + T-Shirt!!.

We need 40 boats in total and we currently have 25-30 but more is good. I did this last year and lessons were learnt(this is being addressed for this year hence this post) but it was still a great event. If you are willing and able to do it. Please contact me by PM or email and I will pass on your details onto the relevant person for further information.

Hope to see you out there.

Cheers...................Andrew
Old 16 July 2006, 14:57   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewN
No pay or fuel(sorry, but that is normal) but berthing in Cowes and a party on the Saturday night + T-Shirt!!.

We need 40 boats in total and we currently have 25-30 but more is good.
Andrew, Why do you consider this normal? Based on the terms you are suggesting I am surprised that you have got anything more than a handful of boats to help you.

Many of these events tend to have large entry fees £150+ and its a shame that these commercial event management companies or charitable class associations expect RIB owners to pitch up and spend a lot of money and get treated like dirt by the competitors for no re-imbursement. I suspect a lot of the money from these events goes back into the coffers of the organisers.

NORMALLY event organisers at the very least cover boat fuel.

Chris
Old 16 July 2006, 18:08   #3

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Hawk
Make: Protector
Engine: 2x 250 Yamahas
Chris

Thank you for your reply. I do not intend to get into a battle of words with you. However, Almost all Yacht and Powerboat racing support is done for the love of the sport, the fact that you are involved with an event and so long as you are looked after whilst helping out i.e special arrangements for moorings a party as a thank you and using your boat in a different way, then that is suffient. If you are running your boat in a commercial capacity then I would suggest that that is a completely different matter.When people expect to be paid for everything they do the sport just dies.If you do not want to be a part of what is the biggest Powerboat Racing event in the UK then that is your perogative. Please feel free to pm/email me if you would like to discuss further.
Old 16 July 2006, 19:01   #4

Town: Yarmouth
Boat name: 74 Rouge
Make: Aquavite
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 O/B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
Andrew, Why do you consider this normal? Based on the terms you are suggesting I am surprised that you have got anything more than a handful of boats to help you.

Many of these events tend to have large entry fees £150+ and its a shame that these commercial event management companies or charitable class associations expect RIB owners to pitch up and spend a lot of money and get treated like dirt by the competitors for no re-imbursement. I suspect a lot of the money from these events goes back into the coffers of the organisers.

NORMALLY event organisers at the very least cover boat fuel.

Chris
You must go to differnet powerboat races to me!

It really is a 'for the love of it' sport and certainly no money to be made form organising.

At the same time safety cover can be a great way to be involved at a race and I believe most competitiors really appreciate the help from saftey crews and are more than happy to share a beer in the bar at the end of the day.

Doing safety cover really is for people who are interested in the sport and would be looking at taking their boats out anyway or doing something a bit different and enjoying using their boat.
Old 16 July 2006, 21:41   #5

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
Powerboat races

Totally agree with comments on fuel" love of the sport" 6mtr + they are going to burn fuel, didnt do ramsgate this year but last year went to fill tank and told no charge.
Who ever is organising, harbour what ever, they must have allowed for Safety cover etc in their budget, and if quality safety is required then they must be prepared to pay for it.
Paul
Old 16 July 2006, 21:50   #6

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Question here to Andrew Norton:

I notice form your profile that you run the following boat:

Boat name: Animal
Make: BWM
Engine: VP D4 260 Diesel

Who pays for the storage, maintenance and running of that RIB?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2006, 22:12   #7
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewN
When people expect to be paid for everything they do the sport just dies.
That wasn't what CJL said. What he said was......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
event organisers at the very least cover boat fuel
and in my experience that's correct even for small sailing club events.

Are the event organisers (is it KBL again?) doing it for the love of the sport?

DM
Old 17 July 2006, 08:12   #8
CJL

RIBase
You see this is a strange beast, obviously in the Solent the likes of BIBOA provide safety boats FOC.

In the rest of the world everybody gets some compensation. The last RYA event we attanded we got boat fuel and oil, car fuel there and back and packed lunches during the two days and ten quid contribution to my meal on the Saturday evening. I think it came to about £130 expenses per boat.

Personallly I don't think this is bad cause a decent RIB on charter is getting up towards £500.

I will be helping run an event next week in the Lake District for up to 200 dinghies and all but one boat (the boat is already on the Lake!) is getting their expenses covered, board and lodgings and they will be doing it for the love of the sport, like they do every week.

I would suggest your event organisers did into their pockets in future.
NO SAFETY BOATS = NO EVENT.

Chris
Old 17 July 2006, 10:48   #9

Make: extreme 24
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
the point that i will make is that i raced for 3 years and the safety crews were always there come rain or shine. now im not racing i will be doing safety to keep the sport going and to be apart of it.
Old 17 July 2006, 11:29   #10

Town: Port St Mary
Boat name: No room for a name
Make: Honwave 2.7 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 5
Honda pay for the fuel, and you get lunch.
Old 17 July 2006, 11:32   #11

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
if some/all the expenses were paid and it was just the persons time that was given for free then i suspect you would get a better takeup, but if near enough all expense is on the person with the rib and their time, then i suspect folks will be less willing

but the t-shirt sounds exciting..

but i may be wrong
Old 17 July 2006, 11:42   #12

like has been said if you want paying for it dont do it,its your choice, and i know that the cowes event will have a big safety fleet
Old 17 July 2006, 11:46   #13

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
An argument has been overheard that the cowes safety fleet sometimes ends up with some innappropriate "safety" boats included - only signing up to guarantee a free space in the marina for the weekend.
Old 17 July 2006, 11:50   #14

i have heard this but they do not guarantee a berth,
Old 17 July 2006, 12:06   #15
CJL

RIBase
I've raced dinghies myself as well and in the same event that I am now doing safety cover for.

I still expect my expenses to be covered.

CarlyBaby, how much is a typical entry fee for one of these events out of interest?

Chris
Old 17 July 2006, 12:23   #16

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
I have been involved with the Cowes Powerboat Festival on several occasions ans the only thing that will be provided is Mooring in the marina.

I have had the same argument with the organisers, and the reason why they cannot pay any expenses is because the event does not have a sponsorship, unlike Cowes week and other sailing events. The Entry fee just covers the hire of the Marina and the shoreside facilities.

I do not do the event anymore, but when I did it was good fun and the fuel that was used was minimal.

Anyone who does get involved in such an event please make sure you tell your insurers.

Simon
Old 17 July 2006, 12:46   #17

entry for cowes basic race is £125,the national races taking part are approx double that
Old 17 July 2006, 12:53   #18

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
race weekend

im up for that!! my boats a 5.3 Humber ocean pro,3 seater with 90 fourstroke,my experience is boating 12 years,with powerboat 2 and advanced p/boat done as well, let me know more details !! Matt
Old 17 July 2006, 14:37   #19

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hawkins
I have had the same argument with the organisers, and the reason why they cannot pay any expenses is because the event does not have a sponsorship...
interesting response which is contradicted here:
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...14mbynews.html

"Raymarine will also renew its Official Sponsor status at the Cowes Powerboat Festival (25 - 27 August)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hawkins
Anyone who does get involved in such an event please make sure you tell your insurers....
Yes, you're certinly right there as this is outside the scope of your pleasure policy and it's not only your own boat that's not covered, it's third party risks as well. I added this to my policy last year and I think it cost me about £30.

Andrew Norton - can you clarify what insurance would be provided by the event orgainsers, and would there be a signing on procedure for any volunteers?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2006, 14:41   #20

yes you have to sign on and be at the early morning briefings.