Click Here to Login

Old 20 July 2012, 10:37   #1

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Nella
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 130
Cottage and mooring in Scotland

having just returned from a great week in Mylor in Cornwall, my attention is turning to planning next summers boating week.

SWMBO would like to go to Scotland for a week. Would like to keep the boat on the water for the week, we've two young girls, so access to beaches is high on the important list! As is a couple of good boozers for Mum and Dad

Can anyone recommend some good places to start looking, or any cottages, places you've stayed that would meet the spec

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:25   #2

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black
having just returned from a great week in Mylor in Cornwall, my attention is turning to planning next summers boating week.

SWMBO would like to go to Scotland for a week. Would like to keep the boat on the water for the week, we've two young girls, so access to beaches is high on the important list! As is a couple of good boozers for Mum and Dad

Can anyone recommend some good places to start looking, or any cottages, places you've stayed that would meet the spec

http://www.inchmurrin-lochlomond.com...theader.jpg.Hi black Try this place I've been here 4-5 time now it's a great place & plenty to do for a week stay
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2012, 12:33   #3

Town: Kyles of Bute
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post

tayvallichcottages: Welcome
Self catering accommodation Oban, Seil Island, Scotland

Both of these options have pontoons and pubs nearby but no sandy beaches.AFAIK!!!
Old 20 July 2012, 17:42   #4

Town: Essex
Boat name: Kestrel
Make: Gemini
Engine: Opti 150
Call Jim at Cologin near Oban. he's a really nice fella, been involved with boats for ever and has a 6.5 Avon(I think it's an Avon)
http://www.cologin.co.uk/
There's a slip just down the road at Ardoran too.
http://www.ardoran.co.uk/
Easy cruising to Balamory...the kids will be singing the song all day!
Old 21 July 2012, 06:28   #5

Town: Stranraer
Make: No Boat now
Length: no boat

Very helpful and knowledgeable owner.
Old 21 July 2012, 15:35   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perroboy View Post
tayvallichcottages: Welcome

Both of these options have pontoons and pubs nearby but no sandy beaches.AFAIK!!!
Tayvallich is in an unusually spot where a short stroll over the headland lands you at Carsaig Bay - which does dry to a sandy beach, when the tide is out. If a beach is essential then that one might not meet the expectation though. However, there is a beach (accessible in about 30 minutes by sea from Tayvallich - or less if your boat is really fast) which I think would satisfy almost anyone's requirements unless you like lots of people, sun loungers, ice cream vans etc.... However there is only one pub in TV - and I'd probably not describe it as "a Boozer" so if that's the sort of location you want, the peaceful tranquility of TV may not be for you.

Scotland is a huge place though with many options so you'll need to narrow it down a bit. e.g. driving distance/time; options for longer distance cruises v's option if the weather is rough; need for shops, activities etc for any non-boaters; quiet v's populated; if you are not a regular do you want to explore 'the hills' etc too - or is it all about the water...
Old 21 July 2012, 16:10   #7

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi stop trying to over populate my peaceful retreat! It's usually me that's on here singing the praises of a wonderful corner of Scotland which also has great cruising grounds plus food & drink near at hand. As Poly says it all depends what you want go on the website and see it for yourself. If you need any help re Tay give me a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2012, 17:33   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Places in Scotland known to me where we've had great boating holidays....

Plockton on Loch Carron. Decent slip, trailer parking, moorings and pontoon. Good places to eat and drink in the village. Not too remote with fuel and supermarket etc about 7mls away at Kyle of Lochalsh. Excellent smallcraft boating with Skye an easy trip. Smallish tucked away beaches but not the sort with ice creams and burgers. Loads of cottages on the village website...

Plockton Web: a Scottish Highlands village on-line

An idea of the Plockton scenery...

Inverinate/Dornie area. Two slips at Dornie with washroom/toilet facilities adj. Three hotel/bars in Dornie. Great starting point as Kyle of Lochalsh and Skye a short cruise away. Plenty of cottages if you Google the locations. There are a group of cottages at Inverinate with a small slip and moorings. Fuel station with basic provisions at Inverinate. Kyle of Lochalsh only a brief car trip for supermarket etc.

One of the cottages as an example... Property Details | English Country Cottages

Leaving Dornie public slip showing scenery..

Ellary Estate, Argyll. Several cottages situated on Loch Caolisport which is the next one south of Loch Sween where Tayvallich is located. Pro boating estate owner who will 4wd launch/recover you off the beach at each end of the holiday. Small sheltered private harbour to keep the boat in. Several small deserted beaches, no ice creams again. Not too long to cruise round into Loch Sween where there is a large beach below Castle Sween with an eaterie and more people (all owned by the same estate as Ellary). Have to be honest it's a bit remote in all respects. 20mins by car to get a pint of milk, boat fuel or something to eat. Unique place though, we've had two great years there and will return.

Estate website... Holiday cottages

One of the deserted beaches on Ellary Estate...

Loch Caolisport great for smallcraft boating...

Old 23 July 2012, 13:00   #9

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Nella
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yamaha 130
Just got back online - brilliant response, thanks guys.

Will read, digest and probably come back with some more queries.

Thanks
Al