Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 04 August 2020, 22:59   #1

Town: Fort Worth
Length: no boat
Cosmetic or a Problem? (AB Oceanus 12 VST)

This is from a 2009 AB Oceanus 12 VST that I'm considering buying as my first RIB. I've been learning all that I can, but I'm very new to RIBs.

How much of a problem is this type of wear? How would I repair it?

The boat also has the name of it's former yacht painted on, what I assume is a piece of hypalon, that's glued to the tubes. What's the best way to remove the name pieces?

The registration numbers are painted on the boat itself. Is there a way to remove that without damaging the the hypalon?
Old 05 August 2020, 01:36   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Cosmetic I think. Removing the name paint depends on what type of paint was used. It might wipe off using solvent. You might also find though, once the paint is off, that the original colour has faded somewhat and you now have the writing in bright original colour!
The name piece can be removed using a hot air gun and gently teasing the patch back but you'll likely have a rather unsightly blemish. I'd be tempted to over patch it with a boat name of your choice. If your new patch is a bit larger than the original so your eye only sees one fabric edge it won't look too thick.
Old 05 August 2020, 17:51   #3

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I appreciate it.
Old 05 August 2020, 19:34   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I'd give that boat a hard pass. The grey fabric coming off in chunks looks like Hypalon or is some type of boat fabric, which tells the condition of the rest of the fabric on the boat. How many years has that boat spent as a tender on a yacht in the tropical sun? Too many which is why they are selling it.
Old 05 August 2020, 20:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
I'd give that boat a hard pass. The grey fabric coming off in chunks looks like Hypalon or is some type of boat fabric, which tells the condition of the rest of the fabric on the boat. How many years has that boat spent as a tender on a yacht in the tropical sun? Too many which is why they are selling it.
It looks like it sat on the back of a yacht and rarely moved. One side has wear, while the other side appears to be in very good condition. (The small black rectangle on the good side is tape residue.)

I'm likely going to pass, since I don't need a project boat as my first RIB. The more I've looked around, the more I feel like I'd prefer a larger RIB anyway. The only thing that made me this interested was the $5,500 asking price. That 40hp Evinrude is worth a good chunk of that price.

Old 05 August 2020, 21:11   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
I’d get the engine plugged in at a main agent and see how many hours it’s done. Other than that check the tubes, they may have been covered and the boat could be a bargain?