Old 25 August 2005, 16:05   #1

Length: no boat
Corrievreckan

Has anybody else experienced the waves that build up at the mouth of the Corrievreckan went there on a rib cruise from Oban with two other boats to see if we could spot the whirlpool flat calm seas not a sign of anything so we went for lunch for about two hours came back still flat calm still no whirpool but in the distance there seem to be a wall sitting up out of the water as we got closer we could see it was waves of about 5 to 6 metres some of them breaking before we knew it we were going straight into the first rolling wave I have a 7.3m rib so no small boat and it felt as if the boat was climbing up the face of the wave forever before reaching the crest and the strange thing was I expected a real slam on the other side but the boat landed fairly gentley I could see the rib to the side of me which was a 6.5m climbing the face of these waves and lifting prop out of the water when I informed the skipper later he simpley said did you see your own boat, at times looking back very briefly the third rib which was a 6.8 Naiad cabin rib compleatly disappeard in the trough of the waves we must have gone over about eight or nine waves before emerging on the other side again to flat calm seas what a ride very scarey I felt at times as if the boat was verticle and about to flip over backwards dont think it came close but it did feel like it I would definitely recommend anybody with a rib thats ever in the area to go take a look would love to hear if anyone else has had the same experience WHAT A RUSH
Old 25 August 2005, 16:34   #2

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
I went down with another Rib from Gallanach at the end of May but obviously got the tides wrong - we only saw a few small whirlpools, but even then it seemed a very erie place though with only a 5.5m I am not sure whether we would have wanted to catch it in its full glory!!!
What were the tide times, springs etc
The Puffer Bar at Easdale makes a very nice en-route watering hole
jeff
Old 26 August 2005, 08:07   #3

Town: Lochgelly
Boat name: Purrdy
Make: Northcraft
Engine: Mariner 135hp ob
MMSI: 235029446
Thats the standing wave in the Grey Dogs.
Old 26 August 2005, 10:26   #4

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
At times you can hear the waves at the corry from Crinan , the waves at the grey dogs are very similar to the ones you get at the Mull of Kintyre, big standing waves for about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile.
We got a doin' heading north past the mull in the summer with a westerly wind and spring tides, passed a 70' fishing boat and within about a minute could only see the top of his mast.
Similar type of water can be seen at Rathlin where I think 7 different tides run together and you can leave Ballycastle in flat calm weather and see the standing waves in the sound.
Andy
Old 26 August 2005, 12:00   #5

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Hi
Do you think these standing waves surfable?

http://www.surfingvancouverisland.co...gard/waves.htm

Shaggy
Old 26 August 2005, 13:46   #6

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
Hi
Do you think these standing waves surfable?

http://www.surfingvancouverisland.co...gard/waves.htm

Shaggy
Dont know much about surfing, but I wouldnt think so as they are not really moving just getting pushed up to peaks by the flow of water. However there are some cracking big swells along Macrahanish (sp) shore where the water goes from 100m+ to beach
Andy
Old 26 August 2005, 14:55   #7

Town: NE
Boat name: RedGazelle
Make: Gemini GRX420 SIB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 40 2s
If you are heading to machrahanish for the surf - make sure you dont use the forecast on magicseaweed.com. Seems to be wrong everytime! That said, machrahanish surf can be superb. Anyone around there (mull of kintrye) during September?

Ed