Old 18 April 2010, 10:40   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Console question

I have a random question for anybody with a double console on a RIB - my Humber had a single console and I've not used one with a double.

If you are running single handed (especially if like me you are, ahem, perhaps about 20 ish stone ) does it upset the balance with a double console and only 1 (slightly heavier than average) occupant offset to one side?

At the moment the spec of the new Vipermax 5.8 is for a single console and 2 extra single jockeys, all with winged backs, rigged down the centreline of the boat as I feel this is probably the safest, definitely the driest and also the cheapest layout, as well as making it easiest to move around the boat.

However I have a nagging doubt that one day I might wish I had put a double console on it, and am wondering if it is worth the extra grand or so it will cost. The thing is that a lot of the time I am out solo (SWMBO doesn't like being cold and wet) and I may have shifted one or two pies in my time so I wondered what to expect from the handling in rough conditions? A single console is clearly going to be best when you are out by yourself, just wondering what (if any) downsides to a double, apart from sitting closer to the odd wave that comes over the side.

Ta

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2010, 11:29   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I love my double over a single and have been out many times by myself. Rough weather isn't a problem for me with a twin and actually gives me more protection from the elements.

With regard layout, on my 6.2 I have outboard set 1.5" to port (LH/Counter rotating prop) am sat on the Starboard side and have my twin batteries and oil tank sat evenly in the console. I've never had any issues with torq steer or bad landings etc, I do notice a difference between port and starboard turns, but that would be the offset more than anything and you really have to push the boat hard to find the limit which can be easily trimmed out.

So I guess if you sat on the Port side with a standard rotation OB motor then things would be very similar.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2010, 11:31   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
doesn't like being cold and wet
must spend a lotta time indoors
Old 18 April 2010, 11:34   #4

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I have a random question for anybody with a double console on a RIB - my Humber had a single console and I've not used one with a double.
If you are running single handed (especially if like me you are, ahem, perhaps about 20 ish stone ) does it upset the balance with a double console and only 1 (slightly heavier than average) occupant offset to one side?

At the moment the spec of the new Vipermax 5.8 is for a single console and 2 extra single jockeys, all with winged backs, rigged down the centreline of the boat as I feel this is probably the safest, definitely the driest and also the cheapest layout, as well as making it easiest to move around the boat.

However I have a nagging doubt that one day I might wish I had put a double console on it, and am wondering if it is worth the extra grand or so it will cost. The thing is that a lot of the time I am out solo (SWMBO doesn't like being cold and wet) and I may have shifted one or two pies in my time so I wondered what to expect from the handling in rough conditions? A single console is clearly going to be best when you are out by yourself, just wondering what (if any) downsides to a double, apart from sitting closer to the odd wave that comes over the side.

Ta
Hi Stephen,

I had the same question when I bought my Xs600, but after trying one out with a double console I decided to go down that route

in hindsite it was definetly the right move as it gives a lot more protection in bad weather, allows two side by side jocky seats, more space for nav equipment to be permenantly fitted, allows for a decent sized fuel tank to be built in, and speaking as a fellow riber who did east most of the pies it doesnt seem to effect the ballance of the RIB, but I did however ask them to move the console as far forward as it would go, I also offset the fuel tank and batteries as far to port as they would go and as it has central throttles I am only max 2ft to starboard of the centre line anyway.

works like a dream on the XS but it is I think a slightly wider Rib than the one you are looking at, but at risk of opening up a recent thread pick the Rib that best suits the water it is planned to be used in !!
Best regards

Mark
Old 18 April 2010, 15:38   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
On my Humber I had the double consol set to starboard and I sat to starboard, the engine was fitted 25mm to starboard also but a 30hp aux was portside of main motor. It was fine and adding a passenger to port left them slightly starboard of where they would otherwise be. It worked ok. Since you're speccing a new boat, something I would now always have is trim tabs. Very versatile in adjusting the boat in a number of ways.
Old 18 April 2010, 22:05   #6

Thanks all

I am still thinking about it but handy to know there are no obvious adverse effects on balance anyway. I'm already over the planned budget so any extras like trim tabs are not really on the list at the moment - though they would be nice to have.

Fuel tank is under the floor on the Vipermax so not an issue - the standard tank is 150L which is more than enough. I've only got one slightly crap photo of the single console but it looks to be about the same size as the one on my Humber was (which was one of the bigger options); that one had a fuel tank in it as well, so with the tank under the floor I don't think console space will be a big problem. My concerns with the dual were mainly balance, getting wet(ter) due to sitting much closer to the side of the boat, and the increased possibility of falling in the oggin by having to get up on the tubes to go forwards when mooring up the single console would make it much easier to move around the boat. May all come down to money in the end, like most things in life

I suppose prop torque should counter the weight distribution, if it is a CW rotating motor (as I assume it will be) then the tendency coming off a wave would be to corkscrew to port (as my Destroyer would if you didn't give the steering a twitch on liftoff) and some pies on the starboard side should reduce that - the setup would be starboard side helm with central throttle if I went for a dual.

Old 18 April 2010, 23:11   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I had the console offset to starboard, which allows enough space to get to the bow past the port side of the console without having to climb onto the toob
Old 20 April 2010, 11:27   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Yeh, mine was like that too. You soon get used to swinging past it. If not having an auxiliary motor, I'd be mounting the engine centrally and use the consol offset to balance the torque reaction.
Old 21 April 2010, 17:35   #9

One more console question; I am told that the basic Ranger double console is far less popular than the more expensive consoles like the Searider.

Why? I can see you might choose a Discovery console for the different look (though I don't like it personally) but am I missing an obvious reason for spending nearly 3x the price on something that looks similar and does the same job?

Old 21 April 2010, 19:20   #10

Quote:
..I am told that the basic Ranger double console is far less popular than the more expensive consoles like the Searider.
Were you told this by the salesmen?

Quote:
...am I missing an obvious reason for spending nearly 3x the price on something that looks similar and does the same job?
The Ranger console is fine, but the Searider console is a bit larger and has more space for instruments, etc. The Ranger is an older design and probably suited the RIBs of that time, when instruments were relatively small. Nowadays, 12" screen plotters are more commonplace & affordable, needing larger console space to accommodate them.
As far as costs go, I reckon there wouldn't be much in it, in terms of labour & materials. The additional purchase price of the Searider console probably includes an element for recovering the costs of developing the console and producing its mould.
Old 21 April 2010, 21:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Were you told this by the salesmen?
Yes

Can't see me needing a big plotter for what I do, the most likely one is a GPSMap 551s, so any of the consoles will be good enough for the instruments I may fit.

Old 21 April 2010, 21:44   #12

I've got one of them on my Searider. It looks good and easy to use. Hasn't been out of the garage yet though.
Old 21 April 2010, 21:47   #13

Any chance you could bung up a screen shot of what the display looks like when you are trying to show the chart, sonar output, speed and course?

My only concern is that it might be a bit cluttered and not be able to see anything properly at eye watering speeds!

Ta

Old 22 April 2010, 09:20   #14

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
ranger console at full install
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weston + dry suit sale 054.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	50506   Click image for larger version

Name:	weston + dry suit sale 065.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	50507  
Old 22 April 2010, 09:42   #15

I'll get some pics of the 551S later.
Old 22 April 2010, 17:47   #16

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
I can see you might choose a Discovery console for the different look (though I don't like it personally)
Best looking console on the market IMV. That's why i've had two. The Disco looks right, has great storage and reasonable ergonomics. Don't buy one for protection, you wont get any.
Old 22 April 2010, 18:41   #17

Mollers was so impressed, he also bought a car with the same name
Old 22 April 2010, 20:38   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Mollers was so impressed, he also bought a car with the same name
Disco the cat is recovering well.
Old 22 April 2010, 23:58   #19

Quote:
Any chance you could bung up a screen shot of what the display looks like when you are trying to show the chart, sonar output, speed and course?

My only concern is that it might be a bit cluttered and not be able to see anything properly at eye watering speeds!

Ta
Some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin 551S Images 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	497
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	50517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin 551S Images 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	478
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	50518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin 551S Images 003 (Medium).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	50519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin 551S Images 004 (Medium).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	50520  
Old 23 April 2010, 00:18   #20

Thank you Squire that one is going on the shopping list for sure now.

So far I have drawn a blank on the AIS equipped VHF which is a bit of a bummer, the Icom option for AIS is about £500!