dnv

Town: Hamburg
Boat name: Der Delphin
Make: Parker
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 120HP
compass compensation

Hi there

My Suunto (see attached picture) deviates from 5 to 12 degrees, depending on the true heading. The compass has little magnets underneath for compensation.

I found advice on howto compensate here and there:
Compass Compensation
Ritchie Navigation - Compass Compensation
http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source...k_4vBQ&cad=rja

Does anybody on here have other, maybe more simple, advice?

thanks for any help in advance, Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	59491  
Old 19 May 2011, 20:58   #2

Boat name: Hornet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: O/B 90hp
compass

[QUOTE=dnv;401737] Hi there

My Suunto (see attached picture) deviates from 5 to 12 degrees, depending on the true heading. The compass has little magnets underneath for compensation.

I found advice on howto compensate here and there:
Compass Compensation
Ritchie Navigation - Compass Compensation
http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source...k_4vBQ&cad=rja

Does anybody on here have other, maybe more simple, advice?

thanks for any help in advance, Jan [/QUOTE

Compass deviation is the error introduced by external influences such as ferrous metal components, magnetic materials or electrical cables which are too close to the compass.

The proper procedure:

Once all such influences have been minimised the correct course of action is to check swing the compass. Using a calibrated hand bearing compass take readings from a position about 10 meters in front of the bow, looking down the centreline from the bow to the stern, with someone monitoring the boat compass. Take a reading on the boat compass on 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees and write down the headings shown on the boat compass. Using the mini magnets, correct these errors remembering that that over correction will cause errors on the reciprocal. Correction with in 3 degrees should suffice.
Now do the same ever 45 degrees. Errors that can't be eliminated are entered on a "compass deviation card" fitted next to the compass. So, for example if there remains a +3 degree error on North, the deviation card will read heading 000 - steer 357 and so on. This card should start 000 and list headings every 45 degrees.

The quick procedure:
Minimise external influences. Using a GPS at slow speed in flat conditions, adjust your headings N,S,E,W and then check every 45 degrees. Remember GPS is true heading so allow for variation in your area. For any remaining small errors, if you wish, you can make up a deviation card as above.

Having said all that, if you can read your compass within 3 degrees at 30 kts in anything less than glass conditions, you're a better skipper than me.

Good luck

JW
Old 19 May 2011, 22:48   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
.....you're a better skipper than me.

Good luck

JW
Oi !!! Who's this JW fella?
Old 20 May 2011, 02:00   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
have a look at my post here some time back re adjusting
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/compass-fitting-15771.html
the screws only turn a couple of bar things that are securely attached to the screwend rod so its no use screwing them in thinking they will adjust more as you turn the rod more-they just rotate thru 360 degrees if that makes sense--its early morning and a tad lumpy out here at sea so fully coherent sentences are not forthcoming
Old 20 May 2011, 02:04   #5

Quote:
Remember GPS is true heading so allow for variation in your area
or go into the gps menu and set it to magnetic instead of true, it will sort variation out by itself and may even occasionally agree with the compass
ho-hum 0300 hours
Old 20 May 2011, 03:25   #6

true and mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
or go into the gps menu and set it to magnetic instead of true, it will sort variation out by itself and may even occasionally agree with the compass
ho-hum 0300 hours
Wasn't sure that was possible, that's even easier.
Old 20 May 2011, 04:51   #7

you must be on nights
We always run the gps on magnetic so as we are using the same bearings on compass and gps.
Daylight now and I can see its rough instead of just feeling that it is!
Old 20 May 2011, 08:02   #8

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
i've never been able to get a magnetic compass to perform that well on a rib, there are too many things to influence it in such a small area, if you have cable steering it will affect your compass when there is a larger amount of steering cable in the console at full lock, bags in the console that weren't there when you swung it, keys on the dash, throttle controller in gear(nearer the compass), the list goes on, you get it as near as you can and it will all change next year when it will need correcting again, i hate to say this being old school but electronic's are the way forward and a compass on a rib should be used for general reference
Old 20 May 2011, 08:18   #9

gps on mag

Quote:
you must be on nights
We always run the gps on magnetic so as we are using the same bearings on compass and gps.
Daylight now and I can see its rough instead of just feeling that it is!

That makes sense. However in my case, (small rib with small compass), in anything other than a mill pond sea, I confess to relying on the GPS hdg and trk with the compass as back-up.

Are you still at sea?
Old 20 May 2011, 08:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i've never been able to get a magnetic compass to perform that well on a rib, there are too many things to influence it in such a small area, if you have cable steering it will affect your compass when there is a larger amount of steering cable in the console at full lock, bags in the console that weren't there when you swung it, keys on the dash, throttle controller in gear(nearer the compass), the list goes on, you get it as near as you can and it will all change next year when it will need correcting again, i hate to say this being old school but electronic's are the way forward and a compass on a rib should be used for general reference
That, of course, is the reality. The theory makes interesting reading
Old 20 May 2011, 08:25   #11

Reality of a rib's compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
That, of course, is the reality. I use the compass as back-up also.
Old 20 May 2011, 08:28   #12

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Good advices here, there is no easy cure. Even in professional shipping, magnetic compasses is an issue as various cargoes, change in draft of the vessel, type of cargo among others affects the result. That's one of the reason why gyros was invented, and magnetic compasses are used only as an emergency back up.

One option is to do only a rough deviation table, without any adjustments to the compass. That's easy to update over time. I have never sailed a smaller boat with a accurate magnetic compass and when You needs it most, the heading is going anyway +-15 degees
On paper charts its easy to note the magnetic compass reading when You are doing a specific route in controlled conditions. That is then useful data, but only for that specific course.
Old 20 May 2011, 13:40   #13

In the great plan of things gps is a relatively new addition to boating, we had decca before that but for a long long time it was only available to commercial craft and was notorious for errors but we still got around without electronic nav.
Steering to a compass is a skill and needs practising when the vis is reasonable to gain confidence cos you really won't believe the compass when the fog drops. Of course we rely totally on gps these days, even yachtmaster exams use gps as the main mode of navigation and why not, time moves on and we should use what is available and not cling to the past....however when the gps fails (and one make we had was very good at failing as soon as it got a little damp and foggy) or your wiring lets you down (surely not ) then the compass should still be there needing no electrickery, albeit a few brain cells, to work it.
Thats why on advance courses we have folk steer to the compass at night with the gps switched off (well the one they can see ).
Old 20 May 2011, 15:57   #14

Quote:
Of course we rely totally on gps these days, even yachtmaster exams use gps as the main mode of navigation and why not, time moves on and we should use what is available and not cling to the past....however when the gps fails (and one make we had was very good at failing as soon as it got a little damp and foggy) or your wiring lets you down (surely not ) then the compass should still be there needing no electrickery, albeit a few brain cells, to work it.
Indeed. It's the same in aviation. General Aviation has embraced GPS as primary navigation, allowing vertical separation minimums to be halved in European Airspace. Lately GPS has been approved for precision approaches. Even the big boys use GPS as a primary interface to their flight management systems. I guess it's good enough for us...
Old 20 May 2011, 16:27   #15

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Thats why on advance courses we have folk steer to the compass at night with the gps switched off (well the one they can see ).
i hope it's in front of the helm
Old 20 May 2011, 21:11   #16
dnv

Town: Hamburg
Boat name: Der Delphin
Make: Parker
Engine: Inboard Diesel 120HP
Thanks to all for your views. Seems there is no quick fix...

regards
Jan

PS
Alternative to compensation 'd be to remove again the external speaker of the VHF, but that's no option.
Old 21 May 2011, 14:07   #17

Quote:
i hope it's in front of the helm
the compass is
but the 2nd fixed gps is on the back of the helm's seat