Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 September 2020, 16:46   #1

Town: Peterborough
Make: Cobra 575
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp outboard
Cobra 575 - DIY Cover Advice wanted

I want to make a storage cover for a 2001 Cobra 575 (although it's only 5.4m - go figure?!) made, for those interested, by Solent Marine so pre-dating Picton.

I can't afford a tailor-made cover so hope to make one myself as I'm reasonably handy on my domestic sewing machine. I'm looking for advice, hints/tips, and pitfalls/what to avoid, from those who've done the same.

Have identified some potential fabrics (thanks WaveRider!) from North Point Profabrics and am getting samples sent, but have very little clue how to design it or make a pattern apart from a YouTube video from SailRite.
Old 20 September 2020, 18:23   #2

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
For a storage cover, the Ducksback ones seem to be quite good.

In terms of making a cover, you could buy a cheap tarpaulin, drape it over the boat and then make a template out of it. A rectangular tarpaulin does actually make quite a good job of being a cover. It's just the ends that you end up with loose material plus it's possibly not the most aesthetic of things.
Old 20 September 2020, 21:27   #3

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jazcabel
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Petrol 150
There’s quite a few videos on YouTube on how to make a cover, be it loose fit or precision. Look at sail right. Us based but tells you how to do it.

Material wise, depending on where it’s being kept, I’d look at sunbrella fabric or similar. Best of luck
Old 21 September 2020, 09:26   #4

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 tohatsu
I use a rectangle tarp for my zapcat rather than a custom job. I looked into the GSM (grams square metre!?) and got a super heavy duty material, eBay company cut to size with stainless eyelets, some rope and cheap caribiners and it’s spot on. Doesn’t flat even in a gust it’s such heavy material!
Old 21 September 2020, 15:35   #5

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I want to make a storage cover for a 2001 Cobra 575 (although it's only 5.4m - go figure?!) made, for those interested, by Solent Marine so pre-dating Picton.

I can't afford a tailor-made cover so hope to make one myself as I'm reasonably handy on my domestic sewing machine. I'm looking for advice, hints/tips, and pitfalls/what to avoid, from those who've done the same.

Have identified some potential fabrics (thanks WaveRider!) from North Point Profabrics and am getting samples sent, but have very little clue how to design it or make a pattern apart from a YouTube video from SailRite.
Very strange about the build year ,,, Dave Picton was definitely in business and building Cobras pre 1998 in Bridgend. Our dive club bought a refurbished early 5.8m Picton rib from him in 1998 and a brand new 6.0m Cobra in 2000 (with a tasty lottery grant)
I bought a 5.5m the same year before upgrading to a 6.0m in September 2006, just before he sold the business

Nothing to do with the main question about a cover,,, but interesting imho [emoji6][emoji854]
Old 21 September 2020, 17:38   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Not sure what kind of sewing machine you have, but if you watched a Sailrite video, they were probably using one of their own branded walking foot sewing machines. These are a heavy duty sewing machine designed to start at a #20 needle and go bigger from there. As you will be sewing 3 layers of fabric a regular sewing machine for clothing just isn't going to cut it. So what do you have for a sewing machine?

Sailrite, sells seam tape that I would highly recommend to hold the fabric in place as you sew it.

Sunbrella is one of the top fabrics the world over for covers, bimini's, dodger's, cushion covers, etc. I sure haven't found a material that would be superior. The remnants from the boat cover could make some nice hanging hammock chairs too.

Old 21 September 2020, 19:28   #7

Town: Billericay
Make: SR 5.4
Engine: Evenrude E-tec 90
To mention a few materials, Sunbrella, Topgun or Odyssey. If your sewing machine is light weight then use Odyssey. Try & get some samples as you will see the difference between them.

As its a one off make it into a huge rectangle, put it over the boat & sew pleats in. Use seam stick to hold in place before sewing & draw a line along your join otherwise the materials may slip as you sew. Make it a slack fit & use 8mm elastic around the bottom to hold it all in. Make the material go all round the tubes so that it touch the hull.

Another way would be to buy something thats already made which is too big, then modify it.
Old 22 September 2020, 12:06   #8

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
The guy we purchased our boat from had a great idea we will copy. He got some cheap CLS timber and built a basic tent-like frame over which he draped a standard tarpaulin which was tied down to the boat trailer. Should keep the worst of the weather off although I have a full (but ageing) cover.
Old 22 September 2020, 18:35   #9

Town: Peterborough
Make: Cobra 575
Engine: 90hp outboard
Cobra 575 - DIY Cover Advice wanted

You lot are absolutely awesome! Thank you so much for all the incredibly helpful advice.

In the end I realised that even Odyssey fabric was going to cost nearly £300 and I wasn't confident I know what to do with it so could potentially waste a huge amount if I get it wrong.

Instead, have ordered a StormPro Centre Console cover from Blueridge Covers in the largest possible size (F) for £270 (ahem! eye watering price, but that's boats for you) and will either adapt that to fit better or, if it doesn't fit at all, Blueridge Covers have agreed to refund on return as long as I return it in a condition suitable for resale. Fair enough, in my book!

So many thanks to all of you.