Old 10 June 2003, 22:21   #1

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Coastguard Tracking

Question for GingerCoastie - or any other coasties realy!

On the isles of Scilly on the Harbour Masters wall was an interesting chart with all ship movements plotted on it, I think covering a month. It showed the Scillies and Lands End area. You could clearly sea most of the traffic was down the shipping lanes and the various trips to and from Scilly itself. I found it quite interesting.

I've also seen articles in the news section of the MCA website of prosecutions for people travelling the wrong way down the traffic seperation schemes. Obviously the fishing boat - or whatever was tracked by the coastguard and then procecuted.

On Monday there was also a small fishing boat in Falmouth bay towing another fishing boat calling "Large Red Container Ship this is Fishing boat XXX you are about to colide with me" when he got no answer he called the CG and almost immediately the CG called the ship by name and got a (broken English) reply. (They did then change course!!)

So, I'm intreged to know if I'm being tracked - could you see 4 ribs on the way back from the Scillys on Monday? I'm just interested to see if my new Radar reflector is any use at all!!

Cheers
Jools

ps Look out for the Pride of Bristol leaving Scillies later in the week, they've already drank The Mermaid dry of the local brew "Scuppered" and had arranged for a brewery tour today!! - Worse than the BIBOA lot
Old 10 June 2003, 23:04   #2

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
The tracking equipment that VTS( Vessell tracking Syatem) has in the Solent is very special, basically it's a low flying airtraffic system..

When I went there to get our boatmans tickets renewed they gave me the 2 dollar tour. Very impressive and yes they have tabs on all the boats.

Don't know about the Coasties but I am sure they do as well, they are after all a government agency.

cheers
Stuart
Old 11 June 2003, 09:09   #3

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
The only coastguard rescue center equipped with radar is Dover, due to the straits.

Merchent vessels are required by law to report to us if they are transitting a seperation scheme.

I don't want to get involved in politics, and if you feel that it is wrong that we are not tracking everyone's movements, then please take it up with your MP and not me, I only work there.

With regard to the incident with the Large Rd Vessel almost in collision with the fishing vessel in Falmouth Bay. We asked the pilot for his name. Sorry no magic tricks.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2003, 12:18   #4

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
tracking

Plymouth has a serious system as a naval port.

They have radar tracking of all vessels.

They also have CCTV of all areas of Plymouth sound and river up past dockyard. This apparently has zoom to pick up faces on boats.
Old 11 June 2003, 13:29   #5

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Damn!! Then they would have me on tape having a joint and a pee in the Sound at the RibNet w/end
Old 11 June 2003, 15:52   #6

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Charles
the story goes they video taped an amourous couple adding the breakwater to their list of unusual places, then when they had finished they sent a boat out & told them off for trespass!

Jelly
Old 12 June 2003, 18:32   #7

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
the story goes they video taped an amourous couple adding the breakwater to their list of unusual places, then when they had finished they sent a boat out & told them off for trespass!
Nothing to what rushes out from under the Blackpool piers when you switch the searchlight on or fire an illuminating para at three in the morning
Dave (easily shocked) M