Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent-Salted View Post
Well it all worries me....

More and more reliance on charities to do what in essence is a government responsibility to look after our coasts....
They won't be replaced by charities - they will be private contractors. Don't get them mixed up with the Air Ambulances etc, who are mostly all charities (I think).

Looking on the bright side, if the RNLI wasn't a charity, they would have had to suffer the cuts as well......
Old 13 December 2010, 18:08   #22

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Length: no boat
Engine: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I've never heard the Royal Bank of Scotland described as that...
A-har, very good.
Old 13 December 2010, 18:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
We have just had South Today news tell us it is anticipated 500 jobs will go and 18 stations down to 9 and only three of them are going to be 24hrs a day.

I guess volunteer groups could be busier and needing more money to run
A bit of a nightmare really,

Putting considerable additional pressure on small units.

also the CG's do ambulance taskings as well....
Old 13 December 2010, 18:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
They won't be replaced by charities - they will be private contractors. Don't get them mixed up with the Air Ambulances etc, who are mostly all charities (I think).

Looking on the bright side, if the RNLI wasn't a charity, they would have had to suffer the cuts as well......
Agreed, re the charities, i was thinking about the mobile units that patrol and do the shore obs.
Old 13 December 2010, 18:47   #25

Town: Gosport
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Engine: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post

Maybe the RNLI will take over the MCA too !!!
Old 13 December 2010, 19:02   #26
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeallenuk View Post
Don't give them ideas!!!!
Old 13 December 2010, 19:10   #27

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Dont forget in some areas there is the National coastwatch charity that do a lot of good work in some areas with regards to keeping a look out/ watch .
utilising some of the look out towers and old buildings that the MCA left behind when they closed down the local ones and moved to the larger sectors
http://www.nci.org.uk/.
Old 13 December 2010, 19:31   #28

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeallenuk View Post
Grape vine is the tendered for the SAR contract but didn't get it - I can see a conflict of interest if they went for the MRSC one - should it come up.

Any one that has been lifted by Solent or Portland in the last year or so has been lifted by CHC birds. It will mean a 24 hour service with the most up to date kit and electronics that a pilot can have to hand.

I also have no issues with the MRSC plans - if I take the personnel out of my mind as I grew up with half the Portland team

AN MRSC is a call centre. People with a knowledge of the sea trained to use specific equipment - this could be handled anywhere - with the Fire Control plans to join up different counties then this isn't a surprise. If you'e in the brown stuff do you really care if it's a local MRSC or one 200 miles away that answers and sends assistance.

Answers is the key word.

CHC are asking for expressions of interest if any one fancies a role in the new organisation.
Job Description:

CHC Helicopters, through its membership in the Soteria* consortium, has won preferred bidder status on a 25-year contract to provide comprehensive search and rescue (SAR) services and military aircrew SAR training to the UK government, securing CHC’s place as the largest supplier of civilian SAR services in the world.

CHC Helicopters, through the Soteria consortium, is now working with UK government to negotiate the final details of the contract prior to signature. The contract will commence in 2012.

While CHC Helicopters is not yet actively recruiting for positions within the new SAR group, we are happy for you to express interest in the upcoming opportunities. The roles that may be available include Aircraft Maintenance Engineers, Pilots, Winch Operators, Winchmen, various support and business leadership roles. If you are interested, please apply online, providing your resume and an overview of the area that would be of interest to you.

Please note that while we appreciate your interest, we do not expect to begin the hiring process until the Autumn of 2010. At that point, we will begin to reach out to those qualified for the roles that are opened. Sorry, no phone calls please!

-Further detail on the program-
As a member of the Soteria consortium, CHC’s role will be providing all helicopter operations support, including facilities and crew, to service 11,000 km of coastline and 3.6 million sq km of sea, from 12 bases spread from Culdrose in the south of England to Sumburgh in Northern Scotland.

As part of the SAR-H program, CHC will completely transition UK SAR to a Sikorsky S-92 helicopter fleet, allowing the innovative use of new technology platforms, featuring the latest and best rescue equipment. CHC will also focus on maintaining its safety record which has an accident rate half that of major international airlines and one third of other major operators in the region. Dedicated, highly-trained, professional crews will be ready to respond to any incident in all kind of weathers, 24 hours per day, every day of the contract.

Based in Vancouver, Canada, CHC is the world’s largest commercial provider of offshore helicopter services. With a fleet of more than 270 aircraft operating in 30 countries, CHC is also a leader in transportation servicing the offshore oil-and-gas industry.

* Soteria was formed to take part in the competitive process led by the Ministry of Defence (MOD)/Department For Transport (DfT) and Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) to create a single helicopter SAR entity in the UK. The four members of Soteria include: CHC Helicopters, the world’s largest supplier of helicopter services; Thales, the UK Ministry of Defence’s second-largest defence electronics systems supplier; Sikorsky Helicopters, supplier of the S-92 helicopter; and the Royal Bank of Scotland, one of the world's largest financial services groups serving over 40 million customers worldwide

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2010, 19:38   #29

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post

AN MRSC is a call centre. People with a knowledge of the sea trained to use specific equipment - this could be handled anywhere - with the Fire Control plans to join up different counties then this isn't a surprise. If you'e in the brown stuff do you really care if it's a local MRSC or one 200 miles away that answers and sends assistance.
I'd prefer a local one that has knowledge of the sea and knowledge of the area that they provide cover for!
Old 13 December 2010, 19:43   #30

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I'd prefer a local one that has knowledge of the sea and knowledge of the area that they provide cover for!
I would second that too
Old 13 December 2010, 21:50   #31

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Absolutely, couldn't agree more.
Old 16 December 2010, 13:04   #32
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Latest on the news is they will have only 3 x 24hr stations and only 5 stations running daylight hours!!! ( I guess there must be a belief emergencies only occur during daylight)
Old 16 December 2010, 13:52   #33

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
So whats that .. 18 stations down to 8 ?

Who makes this sh*t up ?
Old 16 December 2010, 15:57   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Latest on the news is they will have only 3 x 24hr stations and only 5 stations running daylight hours!!! ( I guess there must be a belief emergencies only occur during daylight)
Or more likely they've looked at the typical workloads on the stations and they are much busier during daylight hours - afterall most of what they do is not responding to Maydays. Interesting that they say daylight for the other stations though... does that mean the second scottish MRCC will be open about 20 hours in June and only 6 in December?
Old 16 December 2010, 17:34   #35
RIBnet supporter

Lee on Solent and Portland are to close and a new Southampton based office will open. Thats what our south coast MCA will look like
Old 16 December 2010, 19:05   #36
RIBnet supporter

Here are the locations
In the Government's plan, there will be three 24-hour operational centres - at Aberdeen, in the Southampton/Portsmouth area and at Dover. In addition, there will be five sub-centres open during daylight hours - at Swansea, at Falmouth in Cornwall, at Bridlington (Humber) in Yorkshire and at either Belfast or Liverpool and at either Stornoway or Shetland.
Old 16 December 2010, 19:42   #37
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL

I quite like the thought of being rescued in an Sikorsky S92s if they all look like this!!

http://www.helicopterresales.com/doc...ecs_041408.pdf
Old 16 December 2010, 19:43   #38

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
S what happens if I sink at night and want to shout Humber, do have to wait till daylight?
If I bang some flares up who will coordinate the search?
Old 16 December 2010, 20:25   #39
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
S what happens if I sink at night and want to shout Humber, do have to wait till daylight?
no you call Humber CG and its answered by either Aberdeen or Dover. The same thing already happens in the event of major technical problems at any of the stations, they all switch over to each other. The CG have done this (I think it was a fire at one of their stations?) and people calling would probably be unaware they were talking to someone much further away than they expected. I believe this is standard practice across all emergency service "call centres" - e.g. the Scottish Ambulance Service has had to divert calls to Belfast and Newcastle during a problem with the telephone exchage - callers were essentially unaware.
Quote:
If I bang some flares up who will coordinate the search?
Whichever MRCC is responsible for your area and if appropriate they task a local volunteer CG rescue team as their eyes on the shore, just the same as if someone in Oban spots a flare tonight, it will be managed by the MRCC on the Clyde.

The consultation, including the opportunity to comment is here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/2010-41/
Old 17 December 2010, 16:44   #40

Town: Gosport
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Engine: N/A
Hopefully the new Solent MRCC will be built on the old Daedulas site, near to the helo hangar and look a little like the planning applications already submitted.

Just hope the don't loose the wealth of experience and knowledge currently held by the watches already there.

See links below

http://www.gosport.gov.uk/gbcplannin....aspx?ID=17819

http://www.gosport.gov.uk/PlanningTe...q05upt5ymw.pdf

http://www.gosport.gov.uk/PlanningTe...q05upt5ymw.pdf