Old 14 July 2008, 18:33   #1
GTM

Town: Syston
Boat name: T/T Excaliber
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: 9.9hp
Cleaner...

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner for Hypalon?

Also does anyone have any good ideas on how to remove glue off the hypalon, if you don't want to key it off? Last person got abit messy with the glue!

Thanks guys.
Old 14 July 2008, 19:01   #2

Town: south devon
Make: humber+flatacraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 60hp+15hp
Pro Marine Ribshine 500ml
Ribshine is the ulimate product in rib and inflatable boat cleaning. Ribshine is a powerful non-streaking, non-flammable biodegradable fluid that is designed to remove grease, dirt, oil film, algae etc from inflatable boat and rib tubes. Ribshine works on all types of fabric.

Ribshine can be used with Pro Marine Pro-tection UV protector to help prevent fading and premature ageing.

I use this on my rib(hypalon)and it works a treat.i've heard of lots of other cheaper products but I wouldn't like to risk using them.They could take the colour off or worse still desolve the glue.Hope this helps.
Old 14 July 2008, 20:10   #3

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 90hp
Polymarine cleaner.... Worked wonders on my toobs and very effortless to use (really is incredible how it seems to disolve the dirt). They do a UV blocker as well that you put on after the cleaner to help protect from UV etc. Approx £8-10 per bottle. In my staw poll of a massive 3 people at my boat yard they all swore by it.

Re the glue - Not sure but when I was looking at hypalon material and glue etc to do up and old SR4, I found a place that sold a kind of aurber attachement for a drill that was designed to remove glue without damaging the hypalon. Try seamarknunn as they seem to deal a lot with IBS who do a lot of fittings and fixtures for RIBS and inflatables.
Old 14 July 2008, 20:47   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribpilot View Post
Pro Marine Ribshine 500ml
Ribshine is the ulimate product in rib and inflatable boat cleaning....
Crikey, that reads like a press release, anyone might think you're quoted some marketing blurb!
Oh, you did: http://www.ibsmarine.co.uk/buy-a-boa...8&cat=12-17-46
That aside, it does seem to be a rather good product

If anyone mentions TFR, ignore them. I really regret using it. I'm using this Ribshine stuff to get rid of the damage TFR has done over the last couple of years, and it's doing a good job with much less effort. When I've done them with this, I'll be using 303 Aerospace Protectant to finish it off. http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=91868565
You can get the 303 stuff from The Polishing Company, or lots of different Ebay sellers.

For getting glue off, most people use toluene or acetone, but they're not nice chemicals and will make a mess of your hands.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 23:41   #5

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
If you only have a small amount of glue to remove try rubbing it with a gum type pencil eraser (not sure if they are identified the same way in the UK, but in America they can be found in any office or school supply store and are 1-2" cube - they work great and don't have any effect on the tubes.
Old 15 July 2008, 02:05   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Crikey, that reads like a press release, anyone might think you're quoted some marketing blurb!
Oh, you did: http://www.ibsmarine.co.uk/buy-a-boa...8&cat=12-17-46
That aside, it does seem to be a rather good product

If anyone mentions TFR, ignore them. I really regret using it. I'm using this Ribshine stuff to get rid of the damage TFR has done over the last couple of years, and it's doing a good job with much less effort. When I've done them with this, I'll be using 303 Aerospace Protectant to finish it off. http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=91868565
You can get the 303 stuff from The Polishing Company, or lots of different Ebay sellers.

For getting glue off, most people use toluene or acetone, but they're not nice chemicals and will make a mess of your hands.
What damage has the TFR caused? Obviously if you don't protect the tubes after using it they will soon oxidise again.
Old 15 July 2008, 11:54   #7

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Richard Hi.

I'd also like to know what damage the TFR has caused.

I use it once a year all over, then in spots where required, and follow up with Quarry tile sealer to protect the tubes afterwards.

Nasher.
Old 15 July 2008, 13:51   #8
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
If anyone mentions TFR, ignore them. I really regret using it. I'm using this Ribshine stuff to get rid of the damage TFR has done over the last couple of years
What damage do you attribute to TFR?

Did you ever put anything on the clean tubes to protect them? Those blue tubes do have a tendency to fade horribly!

John
Old 15 July 2008, 21:16   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Well ,it goes something like this...

When I bought the boat from Al, he'd done a great job of cleaning it up for the unsuspecting punter. OK, that's not strictly true, 'cos it was Laura who did a great job of the cleaning! (And despite the leg-pulling I appreciate their efforts!)

Anyway, after a couple of season's use I decided that the tubes needed cleaning and used some TFR. Diluted, it didn't seem to have much effect, so I tried 50/50 and it brought the tubes back, but not brilliantly. I used undiluted TFR on some areas where there was serious discolouration and wasn't too happy with the results. Subsequent cleaning gave me the distinct impression that the tubes were getting duller with each application of TFR, and when I found a couple of photos from early trips I was shocked at how grey and faded they had become. This was confirmed when Al accompanied me on a trip round the IOW last year when he appeared shocked at the deterioration of the tubes. At this point I hadn't used any UV protector, but the boat's kept under an all-over cover and I was regularly cleaning the tubes. Over this winter, the boat has spent a lot of time with no cover and the colour deterioration is really shocking; I've been pessimistic at the likely outcome of cleaning. However, I had a "leap of faith" on Sunday - after using the last few drops of Pro Marine Ribshine in an old bottle, the results are startling. The colour restoration is fantastic, much better than TFR ever achieved, hence an order to IBS for three more bottles which have arrived today, and an order to The Polishing Company for 2 bottles of 303 protectant, due tomorrow.

I'm aware that the blue of my tubes is one of the worst colours for fading, so this is probably a fairly extreme case and many other RIBs with "kinder" colours won't suffer as badly. Yellow is generally known for being a more stable colour, this is borne out by the yellow tubed RIB stored next to mine which never has a cover on it yet doesn't look too badly faded.

PS - It's worth a look at this thread, I want to achieve a similar result to Guy but without three steps and without the hazard of unpleasant stuff like toluene! http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?p=205199#post205199
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 21:57   #10

When my bright blue RIB faded I used TFR and it was fantastic - I then started applying 303 and it looked great - as soon as I stopped applying 303 it faded again - it took exactly the same same sort of time to fade!!!

The TFR is just a cleaner - a lot depends on how you apply it - a soft nylon brush seems best.

It is rather silly to just keep cleaning the tubes every time they oxidise - no matter what cleaner you use you will need to protect them afterwards.

I think you are being very unfair in pointing the finger at the TFR. try the ribshine or whatever and DON'T use the 303 - you will soon see!!!
Old 16 July 2008, 07:05   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
When my bright blue RIB faded I used TFR and it was fantastic - I then started applying 303 and it looked great - as soon as I stopped applying 303 it faded again - it took exactly the same same sort of time to fade!!!

The TFR is just a cleaner - a lot depends on how you apply it - a soft nylon brush seems best.

It is rather silly to just keep cleaning the tubes every time they oxidise - no matter what cleaner you use you will need to protect them afterwards.

I think you are being very unfair in pointing the finger at the TFR. try the ribshine or whatever and DON'T use the 303 - you will soon see!!!

Never happend before but I agree 100%
Old 16 July 2008, 12:44   #12

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
What is wrong with 303?

I have tried all sorts - 3m, Mer, 303 etc and the main problem i get (possibly as black) is that once on it looks lovely but shows up hand/bum/foot prints straight away!
Old 16 July 2008, 13:47   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
removing glue/adhesives

Autoglym do a brilliant adhesive/tar remover for the motor trade valleter,although Im sure you wont need 5 litres! you may be able to cadge some localy,and no it wont damage your
tubes!
Old 21 July 2008, 15:44   #14

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
TFR comes in a caustic and non-caustic form, maybe people are using different types of TFR and hence getting different results/problems.

Anybody have a suggestion of which type is better to use?

TFR also seems to be made by a variaty of companies, maybe they don't all use exactly the same makeup of chemicals.
Old 22 July 2008, 01:25   #15

Traditional TFR is caustic based - that's what machine mart sell.