Old 24 September 2020, 17:09   #1

Town: Cardiff
Boat name: Red
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Choice of boat?

I'm completely overwhelmed with the choice of rib. I've kind of shortlisted Ribcraft (various), Ocean Pro 6.3, Osprey 650,Ribquest and XS. Any suggestions would be welcome for particular ribs, engine makes and size etc. Primarily Solent but also extended cruising to Scilly Isles etc. Also are the bigger Avon ribs any good, like the adventure 620?
Old 24 September 2020, 18:13   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
An Avon Adventure 620 for extended cruising, probably not, but I'd have no issues with one for the Solent.

Definitely a love/hate boat on here... We had one from new for 4 years as our first larger RIB and absolutely loved it, used in all weather year round for trips from Poole towards the Solent and Weymouth. It's a much less serious hull than the other makes you list, a definite medium-vee, so will never be as good in more challenging conditions. Also typically comes with a fairly small fuel tank, and often more leisure oriented bench seating. Having said that, we found ours beautifully balanced with a Yam 115 4-stroke and never had any issues with it, and I used to take it out in a wide range of conditions.

We found after 3-4 years we had done everything we really could with it, and if we wanted to regularly go further needed a different boat for the range, storage, comfort, etc. As it happens for various reasons we then ended up with a much bigger and completely different blue water sailing yacht, but since then I've bought a big Ribtec as well for extended RIB cruising.

Personally I'd happily have an Avon Adventure 620 again for more local trips in e.g. Poole/Solent. Of course you can take it further given adequate planning, but if you really want something more capable of doing things like Scilly/Channel Islands, etc., I'd be going for something more like your list above to avoid swapping boats in a couple of years.
Old 24 September 2020, 19:24   #3

Thanks Paul. Very useful information.
Old 24 September 2020, 20:00   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I'd stick with you're first list too...may wish add Redbay ..Parker ..Cobra and a few others,for me 6.5 would be the minimum for "extended cruising" both in terms of Sea keeping and comfort...but as always the advice is get out and try as many different makes..size..and layouts
Enjoy the odyssey of your search!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 20:16   #5

Cheers. I'm guessing prices will start dropping so I've got all winter to search.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I'd stick with you're first list too...may wish add Redbay ..Parker ..Cobra and a few others,for me 6.5 would be the minimum for "extended cruising" both in terms of Sea keeping and comfort...but as always the advice is get out and try as many different makes..size..and layouts
Enjoy the odyssey of your search!
Old 30 September 2020, 17:16   #6

I've read a lot of negative comments about the Humber Destroyer 6.0 but what is actually wrong with them?