Click Here to Login

Old 02 March 2021, 15:19   #1

Town: vancouver
Boat name: zodiac
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Chinese Foam filled tube boat

Bonjour everyone,
i am a whale watching RIB captain in Quebec and am looking to buy a new RIB for our company. i have been looking at RBB(Rigid Buoyancy Boat) they are very few company that produce those so i have been looking into this one:

https://qd-aqualand.en.made-in-china...t-rib800-.html

i would be interested to have your opinion on this vessel.

I would not have gone with Chinese Inflatable but Rigid Buoyancy is a different game.

Also if you know of any other company that produces RBB please share

Merci
Old 08 March 2021, 17:39   #2

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Foam collars for ribs have been around a long time. Notable applications (in the UK) are the RNLI's E-Class lifeboats and the Royal Marines rigid raiding craft. These are built by Holyhead marine services on Anglesea. If you want to commission something then any good naval architect will be able to design it for you. If you want to go the Semi-bespoke route, then talk to a good rib-builder about fitting one of their standard designs with foam or foam/air collars. Look at Henshaw inflatables website for ideas.
Beware of anything built in China!
Old 08 March 2021, 20:21   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Foam collars for ribs have been around a long time. Notable applications (in the UK) are the RNLI's E-Class lifeboats and the Royal Marines rigid raiding craft. These are built by Holyhead marine services on Anglesea. If you want to commission something then any good naval architect will be able to design it for you. If you want to go the Semi-bespoke route, then talk to a good rib-builder about fitting one of their standard designs with foam or foam/air collars. Look at Henshaw inflatables website for ideas.
Beware of anything built in China!
I've never owned a foam collar filled RIB myself but a friend bought an uncomissioned military Sea Rider designed and manufactured for Military use with solid collars.
When I saw it the thing looked amazing with the over engineered military spec and Tactical add on's....and I thought (as well as him) he'd landed a Bargain.
There was however a pretty big problem....that first showed itself when launching for the first time when it
didnt want to slide off the Bunk trailer it came with
Once in the water the thing would hardly get on the Plane....despite being quite adequately powered!
The problem was (after a while) finally diagnosed...the thing was completely waterlogged internally the Foam was now acting like a sponge and as a consequence ...weighed a Ton!!
He tried all sorts to remove the water but to no avail...and in the end px'd it for another conventional Air filled RIB.
As said it looked in GREAT Nick!..Food for thought maybe

I'm intrieged as to why you would view the Chinese build quality potential of a Solid collar RIB nesesarally to be of any higher quality than that of a conventional Chinese built RIB?
Personally like the previous poster I'd steer well clear....especially for commercial useage.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2021, 07:20   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Pretty sure henshaw here in the uk supply & fit rigid tubes, presumably wing their parent company in America will do the same, maybe worth contacting them & asking which builders they supply ridgid tubes to.
Most ships Frc's are now rbb's so presumably a few companies must be making them
Old 09 March 2021, 07:42   #5

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Pretty sure henshaw here in the uk supply & fit rigid tubes, presumably wing their parent company in America will do the same, maybe worth contacting them & asking which builders they supply ridgid tubes to.
Most ships Frc's are now rbb's so presumably a few companies must be making them
Yes, Henshaw definitely do foam and foam/air tubes. http://www.henshaw.co.uk/mobile/ribs/32-foam-air
Old 09 March 2021, 10:46   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
pasco4 - do you have any rules/regs to comply with for importing commercial boats to Canada? I know that the US have some limitations that essentially make it very hard to import foreign boats. In the UK (and EU) a commercial vessel will need to undergo inspection/approval and all accounts are that is much easier with the support of the manufacturer.