Old 20 June 2005, 23:00   #1

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Cheers all

As many of you will know from previous threads, I picked up a Suzuki 200HP EFI at a very good price, and have spent some time converting the transom on my Ocean 6.25 to accept an ultra long, rather than long shaft engine.
This is of course on top of the usual re-wiring etc that goes with swapping from one engine to another, particularly when changing manufacturers.

The main point of this thread is to thank everyone who has helped with technical advice and recommendations along the way, and particularly Mark Halliday for the loan of his engine crane.
Without this valuable source of reference the swap would still be going on.

Ignoring some unexpected family commitments along the way, there have been some problems to overcome.
For example, when the old outboard was removed my heart sank at the state of the transom underneath. At some point the boat must have hit something at speed and the engine been literally been ripped off. The top surface had two lumps out of it where the tangs on the saddle had gouged their way through it, and four bolt holes were filled and re-drilled where the nuts had been ripped through the transom. I had always thought the vastly oversize ali plates on the inside were just good engineering to spread the load! I had no idea what they were hiding.

Suffice to say I've now built it like the proverbial iron bridge, and I’m looking forward to spending as much time as possible out on the water this year with my kids.

All I need to do now is clean up the tubes to smarten it up a bit, and find time around my current family commitments to get it in the water for a shakedown run.

When I manage to arrange this I’ll probably be posting a thread asking for some company, in the form of a cover boat in case it all goes wrong out in the Solent.

So thanks again one and all.

Nasher
Old 21 June 2005, 07:53   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Nasher, brilliant look forward to seeing you out on the water, how about next Tuesday? should be fairly quiet in the Solent as everyone ought to be at work.

Pete
Old 21 June 2005, 08:28   #3

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Glad to here you have finished at last. No rush for the crane.

Pete. Gotta agree re next Tueday. There is something going on but I think it will be an underattended flop too.
Old 21 June 2005, 08:29   #4

Engine: 200
Yep Nash next Tuesday, there'll be loads of cover out there with all the one day wannabe ribald's waving their new shiney flags, caps and jackets.

Wannabe ,wannabe, wannabe ziggy ribaldddddd.

There can only be one ridald matured longer for extra flavor

So Nash when do you think the scrubing of the tubes will be sorted and ready to hit the big blue ?????

looking forward to it already

paul
Old 21 June 2005, 15:17   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
What makes me feel you’re having me on about Tuesday?

It’s no good for me anyway, as I’ve booked a day off, and I’m spending the day with my family.
It just happens that we’ll be round a friend’s house having a few beers etc on their roof garden. They have one of the old town houses in old Pompey that’s right up against the sea wall just along from the Round Tower.
Think I’ll get a better view than having the boat in the water.

Seriously, I’ve not had it in the water for a month now, so I’m going Cold Turkey.

I don’t need to clean the tubes up first, but it looks scabby covered in green etc from where it’s been stored under a tree.

Nasher.