Old 24 April 2013, 20:13   #1

Town: Hartlepool
Length: no boat
check if boat is stolen

I am looking to buy my first RIB I have been looking at second hand ones and seen an Avon 620 with a Yamaha f15 for 5500. Is their any checks I can do to make sure it has not been stolen.
Old 24 April 2013, 20:21   #2

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
stolen boats . org
Old 24 April 2013, 20:33   #3

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Looks like you've seen one of hundreds of ads that appear to be a fantastic deal but is just a way to try and con you, let me guess, it's pictured in a garage with a roller door.
Old 24 April 2013, 20:35   #4

Town: Plymouth
£5,500 for a 620 is daft money! Be careful. I don't think its nicked but I'd be surprised if its actually a genuine sale

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
Old 24 April 2013, 20:39   #5

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
I have been told that when you phone up you get charged at premium rates. Best off just to email them and see what they come back with or to ask for pics of specific parts of the boat.

I thought I have a good deal- 1500 for a 4.7m searider and a 70hp mariner. Emailed the guy through gumtree asking for pics and he never responded...
Old 24 April 2013, 21:04   #6

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Always interesting to see if you do get a reply from an email which happens rarely !!! Then the deafening silence when you want to actually see the thing.........
Old 24 April 2013, 21:11   #7

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Always interesting to see if you do get a reply from an email which happens rarely !!! Then the deafening silence when you want to actually see the thing.........
yes, i emailed him a few question through the gumtree mail and then he didn't answer any of them and instead asked me for my real email address!
Old 25 April 2013, 07:46   #8

Thanks to you all I thought it was to good to be true. however I have had a reply back to my e-mail saying it is going to be put on ebay. Yes your right it was in a garage with a roller shutter door. I have e-mailed again requesting more photo's so it will be interesting to see if I get them. I will keep you posted of what happens with my request for photo's. Once again thank you all, I did think it was a con but just needed to be told i suppose.
Old 25 April 2013, 09:32   #9

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Hi
If you are unsure, always try to use the e.mail service provided by the listing site. Personal addresses and details should never be disclosed as they can be used for future scams.
Old 25 April 2013, 12:23   #10

Hi all

The following is a reply to the e-mail I sent requesting more info and pictures on the Avon 620 I thought you might be interested.

As I said earlier with that fake buyer and those notes I`m not really prepared to allow anyone else came near to my house Here is how the process works through the Buyer Protection Program.
I'm going to list it as a private auction on ebay and then send you the link, you will need to click on buy it now and just follow the instructions sent to you by ebay. As soon as they will confirm that to me I am going to start the delivery through shiply.com as ebay has instructed me. Once you receive it you have two options. Option 1: You will tell ebay I received it and its in perfect order the transactions is a success and I get my money, or option two but I don`t think you will use this one, you will contact ebay and tell them you can`t keep it. They will refund you the money and thats it. end of the deal.
Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it. I need your full name and a mobile number to forward them to ebay and so you will be registered in the buyer protection program. When ebay will get you registered in the buyer protection program please let me know so I can send you the link to my auction.
Old 25 April 2013, 12:49   #11

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
What's shiply got to do with anything? you pay Paypal, get nothing, start a dispute, win dispute, but buyer has emptied his account and is laughing all the was to Abuja.

There are so many of these ads, he might have other images as the pictures are taken from legitimate ads.
Old 25 April 2013, 14:16   #12

Yes I think your right, I have just seen another two adds for different boats both nice boats but are very undervalued. Its opened my eyes I can tell you. I will certainly be more cautious from now on.
Old 25 April 2013, 14:45   #13

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Even worse is when you do a deal with an apparently 'legitimate ' trader like dan cooper / outboards 12 (ebay) / outboards Cambridge / outboard spares/ outboardmotorseurope etc etc All the same robbing terwat and he rips you off !!! There are some excellent trade members on here who'll help you out if you get in touch with them.
It's a nightmare with the scammers !