Old 09 February 2020, 00:53   #1

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
Chartplotter for under £50 ?

I've been repairing some of the newer Raymarine Chartplotters since my own broke on me. I was told raymarine charges something astronomical just to tell you its broken so I tinkered myself and fixed the problem.

Having bought and sold a few, and repaired some in the local area for people I found myself on ebay bidding on an old plotter to see how cheap could you get one for.

I found this Raytheon RC 420 for a tenner and won it on fleabay!

It arrived a couple of days later, just as grubby as its pictures on ebay so after a clean and a bit of fiddling with crocodile clips it fired straight up.

Amazed at my latest cutting edge mid 90s piece of technology I have set myself the challenge of having a working chartplotter for under £50

I know that the expensive part of these machines is the Raytheon/Raymarine specific cables so I am going to remove them and replace with 2 aircraft style plug connectors I can solder my own wires to. I've also purchased the finest £22.99 Chinese GPS antenna bringing my total spend to £46.39

Now I am twiddling my thumbs until this antenna arrives but I will be really interested to see if its possible. I know your phone can probably do this all with a £3.99 app but where is the fun in that. I think it would be ideal for a small rib but having the ability to give a lat/long on any boat in my eyes is essential for rescue purposes.

Now I just need to find a Navionics classic chart card for £3.61. It came with a 1997 Thames to Dunkirk card but that's not so handy on the west coast of Scotland! If anybody has some lying around please let me know. They look like this....

Old 03 April 2020, 12:49   #2

RIBase
Task Completed.

My GPS antennas finally arrived. Having figured out the Nmea wiring with the help of the trusty prototype E series I have lying around I was very quickly able to work out the pins required for this little GPS

I removed the connection board from the rest of the PCBs. Once I had desoldered the original raymarine connections it was relatively simple to attach the wires. Its worth noting that only 4 connections are required to use this plotter with a GPS signal so next time I would simply use a 4 pin connector and blank the redundant port.

testing pins

All wired up (this is over kill but I liked the challenge. Only requires 4 wires)

With the board glued on the back, you have to mount it the wrong way round to keep the connections on the correct side as you are looking at the back of it now (sorta thing)

This meant I had to do a 180 degree turn with the backplate but there is plenty of length in the ribbon cable for that. Next time, I would do it far more simply and just cross the required wires over.

Now its all back together and hey presto. Works perfectly. Position fix, speed, date, time and the very basic charts.

I think this would be great for a small budget boat. The ability to give accurate GPS locations incase of emergency is great, but also you can use in the GOTO features, passage planning and have real ETAs.

At least the antennas came in time for corona time, now what the hell am I going to do.

PS just found an autohelm navcentre in the shed. If you know what that is, your old!
Old 03 April 2020, 12:52   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Nice work!
Old 03 April 2020, 19:05   #4

Town: edinburgh
Boat name: So Tender
Make: avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: yam 30 2t
Ive just put a " northstar 550i", in the bucket.

It has a software issue, ( no longer supported) and i recall a little condensation.....i could fish it out, if you want it??

I removed the cmap 2006 chart for uk and ireland, which should be ok.....any interest ??
Old 03 April 2020, 20:02   #5

RIBase
no thanks Callum, I am amazed at how well the raymarine stuff stands up to the test of time.

Your Cmap cartridge is worth putting on ebay.

I don't have a use for this plotter, it was just a little project for rainy days. I have started messing with my next project. I've blown the budget and paid £15 for this and amazingly it works. Even more useful is my grandfather still had cards for it.

Old 03 April 2020, 20:44   #6

Ok bud....
I'll leave the plotter in the bin!!

Great result breathing life into these old units....

Im onto the "visit my harbour" raster charts...
Which i have on my phone and tablet.

About £25 for 2 licenses to cover the uk and ireland....and more financially sustainable than my experience with chart plotters......they stood us in good stead, when my pals raymarine hand held, and mother ship both packed in on a yacht delivery from cramond to findhorn.

The raster charts dont have the functionality of a plotter, but im old school, and used to papyrus charts.....
Old 03 April 2020, 20:46   #7

Lol....the tectonic plates have probably shifted since that old plotter was introduced!!....
Old 03 April 2020, 20:56   #8

RIBase
Well Callum you can have this one for the £46 if you want it but it wont have charts. Makes a good speedo / log. Probably just stick it on FBmp for £50

As I said on the tablet thread, phones laptops tablets are great until you need to charge them. I only have charts on my phone as an emergency back up.
Old 03 April 2020, 21:09   #9

Yeah.....that goes for all marine electronic stuff...

My tablet / phone plugs into my boat, so im less exposed, than a hard wired version, and also portable enough to take on anyone elses boat.

My dad used to keep a boat in inverkip, shortly after mr holt, the quarryman dug a big hole for aggregate for the power station, and let the water in!!..probanly around the early 80's

Lots of fond memories around that neck of the woods.......the picture below was my baptism into sibbing, with my mighty 2hp suzuki!!..... and poor old dad....r.i.p.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BvFCiD9qTXQ3H2XU8