Old 16 September 2007, 11:12   #1

Town: Huntly
Make: Searider 4.7
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 Suzuki
Charity using rib?

Do charities using ribs need to be coded to take out members, guests, and groups? They are not paying passengers.
There is a charity beside me who do this on a regular basis.
Seems to me to be ok as they are not out to make a profit from taking people out, any comments.
Old 16 September 2007, 14:53   #2

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
normally no dramas until something goes wrong - there have been occasions tho of people "gifting" considerable sums to a charity for up to 12 to go out on ribs etc - normally its the insurance that throws spanners - rathe rthan the MCA uness its obvious and people are complaining?

Sold your rib yet?

nick
Old 16 September 2007, 16:34   #3

Thought that might be the case, the charity is a dolphin research group they have 2 very nice seariders with 90hp evinrude ficht engines. The people pay for dolphin info courses which include them going out on the boats.
No Nikster my boat isn't sold yet, do you fancy a bargain? make an offer you never know!
Old 16 September 2007, 21:01   #4

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Engine: large
they still need public lia insurance and the insurers need to know and also the skipper needs to be min L2 adv normally - i doubt you would entertain my offer - altho happy to long term lease from you...lol
Old 17 September 2007, 10:43   #5

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANT View Post
Thought that might be the case, the charity is a dolphin research group they have 2 very nice seariders with 90hp evinrude ficht engines. The people pay for dolphin info courses which include them going out on the boats.
No Nikster my boat isn't sold yet, do you fancy a bargain? make an offer you never know!
I would think that would be classed as "at work" either for the pupil or the lecturer-but to be sure why not phone your local MCA office, I have always found them to be very helpful.
cheers
Andy
Old 17 September 2007, 11:32   #6

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Millmoor
Make: Picton
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 135 hp
The boats should be coded. The people on them are paying a fee somewhere in the equation which gives them a ride in the rib.
I used to do a rib ride as a prize in a particular charity's auction, that is until I discovered that I should have the rib coded.
Old 17 September 2007, 11:46   #7

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardp View Post
The boats should be coded. The people on them are paying a fee somewhere in the equation which gives them a ride in the rib.
I used to do a rib ride as a prize in a particular charity's auction, that is until I discovered that I should have the rib coded.
If thats the case why does the british sub aqua club ( BSAC) not require any of its club RIB's to be Coded ?

Mark
Old 17 September 2007, 13:29   #8

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Following Mark's post I think ther might be a clause for BSAC like the RYA has for its ribs working from a sailing centre etc.
Old 17 September 2007, 16:56   #9

Bsac are a club so the boats are uesd by it's members?? that may be the way round that, don't know.
If that is the case if a charity run a boat for member use and other worthy causes that don't pay would this equate to no need to code?
Just brainstorming
Old 18 September 2007, 08:47   #10

Town: Crawley, West Sussex
Boat name: Sussex Explorer
Make: Quinquari
Engine: 2 x 200hp etecs
Regarding the use of BSAC club boats not been coded ....

BSAC / PADI and SAA diving "Clubs" not schools have a set of guidelines called the "Combined Diving Associations Boating Guidelines" these have been put together with the MCA to lay down recommendations for the use and equipment on club boats.

The guidelines recommend most things that a coded boat would have except liferaft/grabbag, and most clubs do actually follow this.

There are specific definitions of "Member Clubs" and who has what privileges of membership and it must be a non profit club.

It clearly says that it does not cover "Commercial Operation" which is defined as
1) Where services are being offered for hire or reward.
2) Where someone is deemed "at work" ie the vessel is owned by a PADI Chapter club, and is being used to ferry divers who are under instruction. ie the diving instructor is getting payment for the instruction they give.

BSAC instructors and cox'ns in their clubs are not paid therefore are "non profit" therefore are not a commercial operation.

If a privately owned boat is used for BSAC club members to go diving on, then all costs must be shared equally between all parties, ie the owner must pay their share, and the costs may only cover the costs on the day ie fuel, launch, oil, towing costs.

The guide also covers the issues of syndicate boats and guests.

Hope this explains things.

A full copy of the CDA guidelines can be downloaded from

http://www.bsac.org/uploads/document...delines_04.pdf

Pete
><(((º>
www.sussexvoyages.co.uk
PeteSmith is offline   Reply With Quote