Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Channel Islands - Fuel Price Rumours?

Hello,

We are all aware that UK diesel prices on the water may go up substantially in 2007, although I believe that there is still a chance of a further reprieve.

When talking to an 8.5 metre Scorpion owner recently, it was suggested that the wonderfully cheap fuel prices in Jersey and Guernsey may also be under review (although for entirely different reasons).

As I am planning to buy an 8.5 - 9 mtr boat in due course, the price of fuel both in the Solent and in the Channel Islands could have a considerable impact on which route I take; 300hp petrol or 400hp'ish diesel. I envisage a fuel tank of 100 - 120 gallons.

I intend to keep this boat for a long time - perhaps 20 years - so I need to get it right! I owned my last boat for 14 years and only sold it earlier this year, for family reasons.

Consider this - If I pay say £10k - £12k more for a diesel engined boat (than a petrol-engined one) and the price of diesel goes up soon after (both UK and CI) then I cannot believe that the price difference between petrol and diesel engines won't get closer together, which should ultimately be reflected in engine(and therefore boat) costs.

If this is the case, I may lose perhaps £6k on the value of the boat. A factor that would almost justify waiting to see what happens to fuel prices (UK & CI) and the cost of diesel engines before ordering. I would rather benefit from a price reduction than be on the wrong end of it!

I would be grateful for your views on this subject and, in particular, any light that can be shed on possible changes to petrol and diesel prices in the CI.

Thank you!

Chris.
Old 28 November 2003, 22:12   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
not too sure about the fuel prices but i would trust a big smelly diesel to still work in 20 years time wheras i wouldn't be quite so sure about two big outboards. Ive never had one engine that long so i can't really comment but does anyone here own and use a 20 year old outboard? apart from a seagul.
Old 28 November 2003, 23:31   #3

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
I very much doubt the CI will hike the price from the tanker as they would lose soooooo much business.

Dom
Old 29 November 2003, 18:12   #4

Boat name: Seahound
Make: Scorpion Sportscruiser
Length: 9.50m
Engine: 2 x 200 Evinrude Ficht
A bit worried !! My boating depends on cheap fuel and could not run my boat if i had to pay UK fuel prices.

What are these rumours of fuel price increases in the C.I. ???

Charles, you normally have your ear to the ground whats the score !!

Steve
Old 29 November 2003, 19:07   #5

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
All nonsense , just rumours! Who was this wonderfully informed Scorpion 8.5m owner you were speaking to?

Coming back to the main jist of your post, if I were in your enviable situation there is no choice is there?? Diesel should win every time for the wide range of reasons already discussed to death on this forum in days, months and years gone by. Do a search on these topics, the arguments for diesel, IMO are sound.

PS - I have two thirsty petrol outboards - but then I am the Channel Isles and thank god for that!
Old 29 November 2003, 23:05   #6

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Nice one Louise! < reference to other drivel moved to here JK >

Charles, I met this fellow and his crew at the boat-yard in Lymington, where the Scorpions are made. His boat was white and yellow, with twin petrols (225s, I think). It looked great!

Actually, I was planning to order my RIB around October 2005, but other events mean that I shall probably have to wait until late 2006 to place my order. At least I may get some benefit from a reduction in the cost of diesel engines in the UK by then, if diesel is about to go up to road prices!

Who knows - by 2006, the Volvo D6 might be good for 450hp ???

Regards,
Chris.
Old 04 December 2003, 08:12   #7

Town: Leamington Spa
Boat name: Whizzpopper
Make: Humber
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 75ELPT
"Planning to buy in 2006" and "keeping it for 20 years"

You impulsive old thing you!!!!