Old 16 October 2005, 12:34   #1

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Chaining up

When I finally get my RIB I am hoping to keep it in a marina berth. I was thinking about chaining it to the pontoon in an attempt to stop it being nicked.

Anyone else done this sort of thing? Are there any tracker devices available?
Old 16 October 2005, 14:00   #2

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore
When I finally get my RIB I am hoping to keep it in a marina berth. I was thinking about chaining it to the pontoon in an attempt to stop it being nicked.

lots of people do so there is no harm in doing it, anything that helps stop thieves or makes their job harder has to be a good thing

i use heavy duty wire brade with loops made on the ends so i can thread it around a couple of key components etc as to use insurance approved chains would cost a bomb
Old 16 October 2005, 14:14   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Those chains have come down a lot lately - you can pick them up for as little as £10 for 1.5m without a lock but you have to be very carefull - lot of cheap copies out there!!!
Old 16 October 2005, 16:59   #4

Town: liverpool
Boat name: summer
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 yam outboard 2st
Send a message via MSN to stedj
were i need one cheers stedj
Old 16 October 2005, 17:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Those chains have come down a lot lately - you can pick them up for as little as £10 for 1.5m without a lock but you have to be very carefull - lot of cheap copies out there!!!
codders

can you point me in the direction of some long insurance approved chains as i need some and if you know a place to get them i would be very grateful

cheers
Old 16 October 2005, 17:13   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
No harm in chaining, but very very rare for a boat to be nicked whils't on the water. It's a not easy for the thieves to get it onto a suitable trailer and away.Boats on
trailers are a different story. That's why trailer boats are so much more to insure than crane in crane out boats. I suppose a sib could be lifted out of the water.
Old 16 October 2005, 19:25   #7

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore

Chain mine to the pontoon , tracker devices there are many , alpha dot is good and police approved.
Old 16 October 2005, 19:25   #8

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
No harm in chaining, but very very rare for a boat to be nicked whils't on the water. It's a not easy for the thieves to get it onto a suitable trailer and away.
I think the peeps who had their ribs nicked from Bembridge Harbour a while back (5 as I remember in one night) would disagree with you. They were just hot-wired and driven out of the harbour.

If the insurance approved chains are as heavy as the one I use on my motorbike then you'll need an extra 25HP to carry the bloody thing about.

Only thought that occurs about chaining up in a marina - if the staff need to move your boat in a hurry( e.g. an adjacent fire or somesuch) they won't be able to or won't bother to.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2005, 19:41   #9

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Ive researched the Tracking device thing quite heavilly.

This one seems to be the ideal one for a rib GPS Textracker

It combines very low power consumption with Geo Fence functionality (meaning it will text you an alert if its moved more than XX meters from its berth)
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2005, 19:45   #10

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Chain mine to the pontoon.
I thought East Cowes did that to stop someone nicking the cleat Tim..
Old 16 October 2005, 19:53   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
I thought East Cowes did that to stop someone nicking the cleat Tim..
Down here they'd nick the chain!
Old 16 October 2005, 19:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
Down here they'd nick the chain!
down there they would probably eat the chain!
Old 16 October 2005, 20:24   #13

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribald
Only thought that occurs about chaining up in a marina - if the staff need to move your boat in a hurry( e.g. an adjacent fire or somesuch) they won't be able to or won't bother to.
Good point Pete.

Us
Old 17 October 2005, 07:57   #14

Quote:
codders can you point me in the direction of some insurance approved chains like you have listed as i need some

cheers
Old 17 October 2005, 11:56   #15

http://www.oxprod.com/

To see the specs

http://www.mandp.co.uk/home.aspx

They only seems to do the chains WITH padlocks now - the cheapest is about £10 but I don't think it's approved - the cheapest approved one they do is about
£20 - still not bad!!!

I use them quite a bit - have 2 for my Landrover - 1 around the steering wheel/pedals and the other through the bumper around a lampost or similar!!!

They serve 3 different purposes - 1 as an anti theft measure - 2 as a message to say you are a bit nuts - 3 if they don't get the first 2!!!!

Will use them on my trailer as well as the silly wheel clamp I had to buy for the insurance - would rather the chain through a lampost any day!!!

As a TEST I used a massive Record bolt cropper on the chain - oneof the biggest they do - laid one handle down on the floor so all the leverage I could get - barely marked the chain!!! No way would you get that sort of leverage in real conditions!!!
Old 17 October 2005, 13:24   #16

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
.....As a TEST I used a massive Record bolt cropper on the chain - oneof the biggest they do - laid one handle down on the floor so all the leverage I could get - barely marked the chain!!! No way would you get that sort of leverage in real conditions!!!
Not a £10 chain or for that matter a £20 there is very little on the market below £60 that is worth buying and putting one arm on the floor is standard procedure for normal people using bolt corps With chains you defiantly have to go for the more expensive ones that are PACT and Thatcham approved although even that isn’t a guarantee Des
Old 17 October 2005, 13:48   #17

Quote:
http://www.oxprod.com/

To see the specs

http://www.mandp.co.uk/home.aspx

They only seems to do the chains WITH padlocks now - the cheapest is about £10 but I don't think it's approved - the cheapest approved one they do is about
£20 - still not bad!!!

I use them quite a bit - have 2 for my Landrover - 1 around the steering wheel/pedals and the other through the bumper around a lampost or similar!!!

They serve 3 different purposes - 1 as an anti theft measure - 2 as a message to say you are a bit nuts - 3 if they don't get the first 2!!!!

Will use them on my trailer as well as the silly wheel clamp I had to buy for the insurance - would rather the chain through a lampost any day!!!

As a TEST I used a massive Record bolt cropper on the chain - oneof the biggest they do - laid one handle down on the floor so all the leverage I could get - barely marked the chain!!! No way would you get that sort of leverage in real conditions!!!
mmmmm

trouble is that insurance approved chains are very expensive, forget bolt croppers and try a hacksaw on the chain, you might find it goes thru like butter unless it is a decent one

so the 1.5 m approved chains for £10 was a bit misleading then i think codders,
Old 17 October 2005, 14:32   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Not a £10 chain or for that matter a £20 there is very little on the market below £60 that is worth buying and putting one arm on the floor is standard procedure for normal people using bolt corps With chains you defiantly have to go for the more expensive ones that are PACT and Thatcham approved although even that isn’t a guarantee Des
How exactly are you go to be able to wield a 5' long set of bolt croppers inside a Land Rover??? How are you supposed to put one handle on the floor and then push down on it???

The same goes for when I tie up to a lamp post - the chain is 2' in the air - I was on about lying the bolt cropper on the floor on it's side then pushing down on it with all your weight!!!

As to only chains over £60 - I have personally tested several of these things - some the bolt croppers went through like butter - others were unmarked - I have NOT tried a hacksaw - YET - but the unmarked ones are obviously hardened anyway!!!

If you look at Oxford's site you will see the cheapest security app chain is the Hardcore which M+P sell for £19.99 WITH a padlock - don't think it takes a genius to work out that chains without a padlock are cheaper!!!
Old 17 October 2005, 14:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
mmmmm

trouble is that insurance approved chains are very expensive, forget bolt croppers and try a hacksaw on the chain, you might find it goes thru like butter unless it is a decent one

so the 1.5 m approved chains for £10 was a bit misleading then i think codders,
Last reply was aimed at you as well......

Misleading - think not!!! £19.99 WITH padlock!! They used to sell the chains on their own!!!
Old 17 October 2005, 14:52   #20

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
How exactly are you go to be able to wield a 5' long set of bolt croppers inside a Land Rover??? How are you supposed to put one handle on the floor and then push down on it???
You put one arm against the A post and lift up. Before you start, this is something I do for a living in the real world not my bedroom.

Quote:
The same goes for when I tie up to a lamp post - the chain is 2' in the air - I was on about lying the bolt cropper on the floor on it's side then pushing down on it with all your weight!!!
I'm 6' and 16.5 stone, Trust me, it's easy

Quote:
If you look at Oxford's site you will see the cheapest security app chain is the Hardcore which M+P sell for £19.99 WITH a padlock - don't think it takes a genius to work out that chains without a padlock are cheaper!!!
Not only have I been paid to test most chains on the market I have tested the Oxford products and know how much security you get from their entry level chains Buy the £60 ones if you want Security Des