Old 17 October 2005, 16:22   #41

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Try using an angle grinder on the multi-stranded security cables - not a happy experience.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2005, 16:22   #42

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
And then... you can never use it!

(Like the outside the box thinking though.)
Perfected by Codders....
Old 17 October 2005, 16:27   #43

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Perfected by Codders....
I know, I've got a great idea how to make this a really interesting and useful forum for rib related discussion. Let's find a bloke that makes a lot of posts on various topics, then pick up on every single little tiny thing we can to try and make him look like a prat! That'll show every guest reading what wonderful people ribbers are, always keen to share their knowledge, advice, and bully people!

Great idea! Send it in to the maturity convention council, sure they'd love it. (And before you ask, no, they don't exist.)
Old 17 October 2005, 16:35   #44

Quote:
I know, I've got a great idea how to make this a really interesting and useful forum for rib related discussion. Let's find a bloke that makes a lot of posts on various topics, then pick up on every single little tiny thing we can to try and make him look like a prat! That'll show every guest reading what wonderful people ribbers are, always keen to share their knowledge, advice, and bully people!

Great idea! Send it in to the maturity convention council, sure they'd love it. (And before you ask, no, they don't exist.)
Jimbo, yer quite right.. I can't help myself.. what can I say? It's just when someone talks such complete bollox, that I see red... it's a personality disorder, so sue me...
Old 17 October 2005, 16:37   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribald
Try using an angle grinder on the multi-stranded security cables - not a happy experience.
Easy... tighten up first with a bar (spanish windlass stylee..) Then away you go.....
Old 17 October 2005, 16:41   #46

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:

You missed point Jimbo
I, like a few others, take Codders to task when he posts advice on threads started or viewed by people that don’t know him and think that his opinion is reliable
My real worry is that someone actually takes a bit of his advice Take this thread as an example, he is telling people that a £10 chain could not be bolt cropped ....complete coddler.... and anyone take that advice would regret it so hopefully by challenging him people can see that it is not all black and white as often portrayed in his posts. Des
Old 17 October 2005, 16:44   #47

Quote:
Jimbo, yer quite right.. I can't help myself.. what can I say?
Sorry might be a start? Then perhaps you could just ignore the "complete bollox" and leave insults out of your response, whilst challenging arguments with your own 100% non-bollox well reasoned facts?

Quote:
Easy... tighten up first with a bar (spanish windlass stylee..) Then away you go.....
If it's got a plastic sheath around it, does that help holding it together as well? I've seen security wires with them on, and perhaps it makes it easier to cut? I wouldn't know, I've never done any breaking and entering myself!

When the uni got their new rib, I went to buy the chain for it with our Commodore, and we nearly cried when the guy in the shop cut it to length, it was so easy with a hacksaw!
Old 17 October 2005, 16:52   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
You missed point Jimbo
I, like a few others, take Codders to task when he posts advice on threads started or viewed by people that don’t know him and think that his opinion is reliable
My real worry is that someone actually takes a bit of his advice Take this thread as an example, he is telling people that a £10 chain could not be bolt cropped ....complete coddler.... and anyone take that advice would regret it so hopefully by challenging him people can see that it is not all black and white as often portrayed in his posts. Des
Ok, so take him to task, discuss why you think he's wrong, put a post up with your ideas opinion, whatever. Carry on making this a forum (the idea behind which is to garner discussion) with varied views, opinion, and debate. Just leave out the insults, and the fairly open and unnecessary bullying.

I don't agree with everything Codprawn (or for that matter anyone on this forum) says, and I'm sure they don't agree with me, I just think it's sad when people take what could have started as a debate and challenging of facts and turn it into an attempt to ridicule and not help, abuse, denigrate and generally insult people. This is not something I suspect half the culprits would do in real life, why should they feel any braver at attacking anyone on a forum?

Challenge opinion, put your own views forward, argue your case. If your only argument is to insult and abuse someone, then you've already lost it. If your argument contains your own facts, people can see balanced debate and conflict of opinion.

That's to my mind anyway, doubtless I will be disagreed with.

As to you saying he is telling people a £10 chain could not be bolt cropped, no he isn't. READ his posts. He's telling people that he couldn't bolt crop a £10 chain, explaining how he tried, and why he thinks it would be hard to get the leverage required to so do. Maybe you should come back with "Ok, try doing it like this, then you'll be able to bolt crop it, it's all about technique". That might help EVERYONE learn something.
Old 17 October 2005, 16:53   #49
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
You can’t really get the grunt out of the batteries that you would need for a useful grinder
How about one of these and one of these?

Total outlay about half the price of the cordless grinder!

John
Old 17 October 2005, 16:55   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
How about one of these and one of these?

Total outlay about half the price of the cordless grinder!

John
What about a small portable generator? Don't know what sort of output they produce, but I'm sure there's one out there that would power a grinder.
Old 17 October 2005, 16:57   #51

Quote:
Sorry might be a start?
How about...let me see..... fat chance. I only apologise when I make a mistake... and believe me I will apologise... just ask Eups..... however I certainly won't accept a lecture on Ribnet “etiquette” from you.....

Quote:
.., I've never done any breaking and entering myself!
Perhaps you need to get out more?
Old 17 October 2005, 17:00   #52

Quote:
Perhaps you need to get out more?
We've established this is so, my life is presently dull and uninteresting. I'm off to Calshot (Where I've heard another boat has just been brought down), I'm taking freezer spray, a hammer, a hacksaw, some bolt croppers, a big mutha of a battery, an angle grinder, and a lollipop. Will get back to you with my findings...
Old 17 October 2005, 17:01   #53

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
you can also get very portable oxy acetelene torches that run from disposable gas canisters.

I think we better change the forum name to RIBTHIEFnet
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2005, 17:02   #54

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
What about a small portable generator? Don't know what sort of output they produce, but I'm sure there's one out there that would power a grinder.
Jimbo
I have a 3kwt -honda one.Very quiet, ideal for a 2kwt grinder. Its on the boat all the time as back up. Ideal for cutting chains ect ect.
Old 17 October 2005, 17:05   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
Jimbo
I have a 3kwt -honda one.Very quiet, ideal for a 2kwt grinder. Its on the boat all the time as back up. Ideal for cutting chains ect ect.
Going off thread ever so slightly - what sort of cost is a portable generator? I've been thinking one might be useful for camping etc, as well as organised ribTHEIFnet outings!
Old 17 October 2005, 17:15   #56

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
How about...let me see..... fat chance. I only apologise when I make a mistake... and believe me I will apologise... just ask Eups..... however I certainly won't accept a lecture on Ribnet “etiquette” from you.....

Jimbo - I think everything gets carried a bit too far in these disscusions.
I had the pleasure of meeting Jono some time ago and a more pleasant and entertaining person you could not hope to meet.

I dont know why people become so aggressive on this site.I think we should all stand back a bit sometimes and cool down. I have been on this site for over a year now and have had immense pleasure , learnt alot and still learning. I have found the best way to treat Codders is not contradiction but
kindness and generosity. He even might come out on my rib....

Jonathan
Old 17 October 2005, 17:16   #57

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
We've established this is so, my life is presently dull and uninteresting. I'm off to Calshot (Where I've heard another boat has just been brought down), I'm taking freezer spray, a hammer, a hacksaw, some bolt croppers, a big mutha of a battery, an angle grinder, and a lollipop. Will get back to you with my findings...
Keep your theiving hands off my boat
Old 17 October 2005, 17:16   #58

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If my boat goes missing, you folks'll be in deep shit......

Old 17 October 2005, 17:17   #59
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
B&Q have some in store 850 watts and all of £49.99 not going to be Honda sort of quality but seeing as apparently we are all just looking to get cheep kit so we can go about nicking this one highly locked down RIB it would do the job.
Old 17 October 2005, 17:17   #60

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Going off thread ever so slightly - what sort of cost is a portable generator? I've been thinking one might be useful for camping etc, as well as organised ribTHEIFnet outings!
I bought one of those cheap £50 2-stroke jobbies on ebay. Brand new never had any troubles with it and it must have done 100 hours now. Produces upto 950w and thats more than enough to run my grinder (which if i recall is 550w).