Old 08 April 2013, 09:36   #1

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
CG66 scheme

The CG66 form from the MCA had completely passed me by until it was pointed out to me at the weekend.

It seems one of those simple and very effective ideas - registering boat and emergency contact details with the coastguard - but I hadn't heard of it at all.

Am I the last person on RIBnet to register?!

Hugh
Old 08 April 2013, 09:41   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
No, but thanks for the reminder......
Old 08 April 2013, 10:23   #3

Town: hemel hempstead
Boat name: tohatsu
Make: tohatsu
Length: 4m +
Engine: 15p tohatsu
I have not heard of that before but just been through the details on the form and it seems its just for named registered boats. Not sure they would accept (red dinghy). My problem is I go quite far out when fishing. I seem to rely too much on my mobile. I do carry flares though.
Do you think its worth registering anyway.
Old 08 April 2013, 10:56   #4

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobra## View Post
My problem is I go quite far out when fishing. I seem to rely too much on my mobile.
They have cell towers out "that far"?

Old 08 April 2013, 11:05   #5

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
I have not heard of that before but just been through the details on the form and it seems its just for named registered boats. Not sure they would accept (red dinghy). My problem is I go quite far out when fishing. I seem to rely too much on my mobile. I do carry flares though.
Register on the CG66 database and they send you by reply a sheet detailing why you shouldn't rely on a mobile!

Do a radio course - you would have an option to carry a handheld VHF instead of relying on your phone. Applying for a Ships Radio License will force you to choose a name - even if you don't label the boat itself. What's wrong with "Red Dinghy" as a name? As long as its not offensive* (e.g., "****"), misleading (e.g., "HMS Diamond" or "Mayday") and you are not too embarrassed to say it, the choice is yours.

*There was a Ring 21 on eBay last year named "Lick My Ring".
Old 08 April 2013, 11:30   #6

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
With a handheld VHF you would be better applying for a transportable licence. Then you get a call sign beginning with T and followed by six numbers and can use the handheld on any vessel. If a handheld is registered to a ships licence I believe it can only be used legally when onboard that vessel or it's tender.

Then when using the transportable use the name of the vessel you are currently on in your radio communications (e.g Solent coastguard Solent coastguard Red Dinghy Red Dinghy). If the coastguard or anyone else asks for your call sign give them the Tnnnnnn call sign on your transportable licence.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 15:35   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I have not heard of that before but just been through the details on the form and it seems its just for named registered boats. Not sure they would accept (red dinghy).
Yes - either pick a name or just call it red dinghy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
Do a radio course - you would have an option to carry a handheld VHF instead of relying on your phone.
If the cost / time of the licence is putting you off then get the VHF first and keep it turned off in your bag until needed - nobody objects to them being used by 'untrained' people in an emergency.
Old 08 April 2013, 16:01   #8

Town: hemel hempstead
Boat name: tohatsu
Make: tohatsu
Engine: 15p tohatsu
Yes cheers for those comments. It is too much money for something I do a few times a year.
Think I should do it but it will have to wait and send a flare up if in trouble.
Old 08 April 2013, 16:58   #9

Town: South Coast
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: outboard
Is that too much for the course or expense of radio? As mentioned you can keep for emergency use whilst you are planning to do the course and licence.
Old 08 April 2013, 18:07   #10

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
If you send up a flare how do you know someones going to see it and then act on it?

The cost of a VHF radio is not much considering it may save your life. You can then save up and do the radio course as and when. Nobody will get upset if you use a radio to issue a pan pan or mayday without having done the radio course. And anyone here will Private Message you word for word what you need to say in a Mayday message.
Old 08 April 2013, 18:32   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
You can pick up a cheap VHF for about 50 quid. It won't be amazing (typically the waterproofing is a little suspect - but put it in a dry bag and it will probably do you fine). A well respected brand like Standard Horizon will do an entry level model for around £100 if you shop around. Unlike flares though they will let you:

(1) Tell the CG you have a problem but don't need a helicopter, two lifeboats and every other vessel in the area to rush to your aid.
(2) Get weather, safety or other advice from the CG - just be listening in.
(3) Tell the CG you are running late but don't need help so no need to initiate a search if a shore contact calls it in.
(4) Give the CG a location to zero in on (which Mobile can't do - ignore what you see on telly - triangulating a mobile signal is not practical in most rescue situations). With VHF the CG's can find your direction, and a lifeboat or helo can pinpoint you.
(5) Call a passing vessel to ask for a tow if you have a breakdown.
(6) Give you the knowledge that help IS on its way. Many a person got into more difficulty after their first attempt at calling for help, when if they had just stayed where they were help would have got there quicker.

A VHF course and certificate is usually about £100. If you hunt you may find a local sailing club or night school doing it for a good bit less. However, whilst it is legally required for non-distress use, and certainly makes sense - I don't think you will find anyone on here who would recommend NOT buying a VHF and carrying it anyway, even without the certificate.
Old 08 April 2013, 18:35   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
A decent VHF is about the same price as a set of coastal flares & much more useful
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote