Click Here to Login

Old 14 January 2016, 14:20   #1

Town: Nassau, Bahamas
Boat name: Harbour Safaris
Make: Parker RIB 9m & 10m
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 250 & 350
Center Console Gas Detector Issue

On our RIB, we are having an issue with the gas detector go off randomly, maybe once or twice a week.

We have a console cover and it's outdoors all the time - we're thinking it's lack of ventilation, because once opened up it stops quickly. It probably wasn't an issue before with the cooler UK climate.

We have replaced our batteries with the local Verado dealer recommended batteries.

Is there a way to vent the cover, or would adding additional stainless vents in the console work?

Or do you think there may be a larger issue at hand?

Thanks!
Old 14 January 2016, 14:50   #2

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
The detectors last about 2 years before they need replacing and both were replaced about a year ago, so must be the heat. I cant believe the batteries would have anything to do with this ......
Located inside the console and beneath the round waterproof hatches either side. I would install a small blower to vent the area where the tanks are. The only vents are four small holes in the rear bulkhead in the rear splash well. The tanks are bullet proof and in the summer we had similar issues occasionally. I left the covers off and the console door open over night.
Old 14 January 2016, 15:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandflyer View Post
On our RIB, we are having an issue with the gas detector go off randomly, maybe once or twice a week.

We have a console cover and it's outdoors all the time - we're thinking it's lack of ventilation, because once opened up it stops quickly. It probably wasn't an issue before with the cooler UK climate.

We have replaced our batteries with the local Verado dealer recommended batteries.

Is there a way to vent the cover, or would adding additional stainless vents in the console work?

Or do you think there may be a larger issue at hand?

Thanks!
Please Rib Admin block this forum member for - making us all in the UK green with envy, a nice big parker rib in the Bahamas soaking up the sun in January, and what have we got in the UK ? floods, rain, more rain, more floods, freezing cold wind and more wind and did I mention the rain ! bah humbug
Old 14 January 2016, 16:52   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
floods, more floods
So your available boating area has increased and you are complaining!
Old 14 January 2016, 17:16   #5

Town: Nassau, Bahamas
Boat name: Harbour Safaris
Make: Parker RIB 9m & 10m
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 250 & 350
Thanks Steve for chiming in, I was hoping you would! I read somewhere in the vast internet that the batteries can off-gas causing it, but not sure. We're looking at venting the cover now as well as stainless vents - we do leave the door cracked, but cover on.

If that fails, we'll have to install an in-line blower somewhere.

And for the rest of you jealous guys - come visit! Direct flights on BA down to Nassau!
Old 15 January 2016, 14:57   #6

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Batteries are above the sealed area of the tanks and detectors, so any venting from batteries would not get into the tank location.
When i said leave the covers off, i was refering to the white round hatches in the floor of the consol. Any petrol fumes will rise and vent out of the consol.
If you want to add any vents, ensure it in the "square platform that the consol moulding then sits on. Any higher and it will not vent the tank area.
Regards
Cold, wet, cold wet ..... Hang on, no i'm not, I have a cabin and heat
Old 15 January 2016, 18:55   #7

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If you fit a blower it might be worth making sure it is suitable for venting flammable vapour. You wouldn't want a sparking commutator, would you?