Looking for water taxi catamaran rib
Old 22 June 2002, 08:27   #2

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Interesting you should ask that, Cristian. Do they exist in Chile?

I have been musing the idea of big catamaran RIBs for a while. In many respects the deep-V hull of today's mono-hull RIB's hasn't changed in many a year.

On the other hand, the sailbpoat Open Class ocean racer has undergone massive development in the last 10 years. Apart from the odd seemingly blind alley - such as Pete Goss's monster cat that broke up so devastatingly in mid Atlantic - the modern ocean going cat or tri-maran is a mind-boggling speed machine that can tackle the fiercest of ocean conditions.

So, if anyone out there has experience of multihull RIBs, or views on growing them beyond the ZapCat/TomCat size I, like Cristian, would be really interested to hear fom you.
Old 22 June 2002, 20:30   #3

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hi Guys
I certainly am well versed in Cat and Multi-hull Ribs, since I have had two. The Hysucat (Hydrofoil Supported Catamaran) is arguably the best 6.5m Rib on the market for its versatility, performance and most imporantly, its sea-keeping qualities. Just ask any of the well-travelled BIBOA members how my little Hysucat performed in keeping up with the big boys in a Force 6/7 coming back from St.Malo.
Please take the time to go the the following url as this explains everything far better tham I ever could: http://www.ribmagazine.com/hysucat6.5.htm
After we sold our first cat rib (it became too small for our needs) we had a trimaran built (8.1) which unfortunately was not as good as the 6.5 for various reasons. Photos to follow.
Old 23 June 2002, 10:37   #4

Wow, Charles! Now I am really interested. I read the article on the Hysucat 6.5 and would love to see some pics.

The article does bring out the main benefits of the cat well and it confirms what I had already expected. Namely that there is more space on board for less power and that the ride is softer.

So what's the down side? Why are there few of these about? And why did you not stick with the idea yourself?

I'm fascinated. The idea of a 10m cabin RIB of this kind appeals enormously.
Old 23 June 2002, 20:26   #5

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
interesting website

http://www.hydrospeed.co.za/index2.html

maybe we should all put in a bulk order, does sound amazing

HOW THE HYDROFOIL SYSTEM WORKS

· The HYSUCAT Hydrofoil System was developed at the University of Stellenbosch by Professor K.G. Hoppe (Naval Architect).

· It normally consists of one main wing shaped Hydrofoil bolted between the keels of a Power Catamaran or Ferry, close to the centre of gravity of the vessel, and two stern Hydrofoils mounted in the tunnel near the transom under the waterline (see diagram 2).

· As the Catamaran increases speed the Hydrofoil system produces lift forces which partially lift the boat out the water and thereby reduce the wetted area of the hull (see diagram 1).

· Due to the fact that the Hydrofoil System carries the weight of the Catamaran more efficiently than the hulls themselves the boat goes faster with the same engine power (normally 20 - 40% faster).

· It has taken Professor Hoppe more than 15 years to perfect the shape and the positioning of the Hydrofoil System and therefore all vessels fitted with the system to date have been successful.

Old 24 June 2002, 09:42   #6

Well, about 4 years ago I met up with an old friend of mine, (we were together in the SA Military) Malan Conradie who is a naval engineer, and he got me started on Rib cats and the like. He was passionate about these boats and worked very closely with Gunther Karl Hoppe perfecting the hydrofoil (compulsory reading) http://www.hydrospeed.co.za/front.html? on cat boats. I bought the first Hysucat in the UK and was truly in love with the boat due to its amazing characteristics. To give you some idea, we 'loaded' 14 people from Rib International on to my boat and she got on the plane in just over 3 seconds with twin 4 stroke 50 HP Yams. It was sad selling her, but we had to get a bigger boat as we had simply outgrown her. Too many bodies and too little space! Many people will probably not appreciate the following, BUT, the one big reason that these sort of craft have not taken off in this part of the world is that the UK is quite staid and boring, opting for tried and tested mono-hulls...Australians, Kiwis and S.Africans experiment with cats and multi-hulls amongst others. They are very popular in the southern hemisphere. Mike, there was talk of building a 10m Hysucat last year, I will try and find out where Malan is with this. I will also post some photos I have soon.
Old 24 June 2002, 09:47   #7

Some more reading, url of the UK importer, http://www.crayford.org/crayford3.html
Old 24 June 2002, 11:25   #8

More compulsory reading:http://www.sun.ac.za/kie/unistel/tec...sucat/news.htm
Old 24 June 2002, 17:16   #9

Thanks for that, Charles. Actually I had found all those sites, and a bunch more, with the help of good ol' Google.

I'm seriously hooked on the idea of the Hysucat RIB. My gut feel is for something 10m long with twin diesels, probabaly 240 Yamahas. A fully enclosed wheelhouse with commercial/fishing boat type styling set well aft with seating for 4. Two pilot berths in each hull. A big open foredeck with landing craft type load ramp along the lines of the Nautica RIB 24 (see www.nauticaintl.com ).

This would very much be a high speed, long range, all weather work boat for diving, cruising, beach parties and, what the hell, for just havin' fun.

I can feel a bit of R&D now needed. Sounds like a trip to SA coming up this winter!

I look forward to chewin' the fat in due course.

Cheers...
Old 26 June 2002, 18:11   #10

Hi Mike and Charles!

I was out for some days and now I have found your nice comments about catamaran Ribs.

I'm self learner about boat design, being catamarans my favourites. Maybe because I'm also in the southern hemisphere I'm more opened to new developments and design last proposals. I have no problem to jump over the traditional boats.
For many years I have read about cats, being subscribed to australian. US, and european catamaran magazines.
After searching over the world cat offer I have found Hysucats as the more efficient small cat design. Not only because the hidrofoil, but also because the particular hull design like the Bobcats.
I heard about Malan Conradie as good speed boat runner.
In Chile and Southamerica in general I have not seen a rib cat nor a bobcat.
I want to start a nautical venture in chilean Patagonia, needing a boat to carry passengers on eco-tourism basis, where you have untouched nature over thousends of km, fiords, glaciars, etc. The wether is not friendly, hard winds almost al the time and low temperatures. So, a cabined boat is necessary.
The 8.5 and 10m cats from the Boatloft (SA boat designers) are my fauvourites, but Ribs are interesant also.
So, if you have any idea to my cat proyect, will be welcommed.
Old 27 June 2002, 08:46   #11

Hi Christian
...I suppose there will always be enthusiasts for a particular boat, hull shape and so on. I am sold on the idea of cats for all the obvious major benefits but, my next boat will be a mono-hull due to personal reasons. I spent some time with my friend, Malan in Cape Town during December/ January and he is currently building a huge 60ft cat to compete against the Fairline and Sealine stable. Not a RIB though
Mike, will you be over here for the upcoming BIBOA CI Cruise?
Old 27 June 2002, 19:49   #12

That's the plan, Charles.

And, besides RIBS, we can talk a bitta freefall stuff. My licence is outta date and my jumping days were in a different era, but when it comes to lamp swinging, I can bullshit as well as the next guy....

Looking forward to meeting you.

Cheers
Old 27 June 2002, 22:34   #13

Picture of our second 'alternative' hull boat.
How many jumps did you end up doing, Mike? We can bring John into this and start an old farts 4-way team? What do you reckon?
Old 28 June 2002, 19:52   #14

Is that the trimaran hull, Charles? Shape doesn't look like the Hysucat. Nonetheless, interestin'.

Cheers.

Oh, and the total was a tad over 100. Low count I have to confess. But altitude a little more worthy . Most from 25K ft. Two mins in freefall. Sheer bliss.

And you?
Old 29 June 2002, 18:07   #15

Well, ahem.... skdiving was an all consuming part of my life for 15 years. Last count was about 1870. Did most everything, would be good to chat.
Old 01 July 2002, 19:11   #16

I'm impressed, Charles. Looking forward to meeting you, (tips hat in obeisance), Boss.
Old 16 August 2002, 15:43   #17

Thought I would update this thread, Mike. I have come across these pics and thought you would be interested.
Old 26 August 2005, 18:03   #18

Town: Annapolis MD
Length: 6m +
Trimaran RIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
....After we sold our first cat rib (it became too small for our needs) we had a trimaran built (8.1) which unfortunately was not as good as the 6.5 for various reasons. Photos to follow.
Charles, are you still on this forum?? Could you tell me more of your 'trimaran' RIB??
Old 29 August 2005, 10:17   #19

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
I had a 6.2m Predator cat originally fitted with 2 mariner 75hp 2 strokes, laterly 2 75hp 4 strokes. The hull was SA built and imported through Aquion??. She was licenced for diving charters and was perfect for that type of work as she was very stable at rest. Personally I would not buy another cat of this type, very prone to stuffing and a sore slamming hull whatever you tried to do with it, however the build quality was very good.

It is interesting to see the likes of South Boats and Blythe that make hardboat cats have know fitted hydrofoils and some boulbous bows to give more forward bouyancy and better rides.
Andy
Old 29 August 2005, 11:03   #20

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
is there a compay in cornwall called eco cat i think they are interested in buiding rib catamarans will try and find more info later